Help, Gotta have a dental implant and supposed to quit smoking ????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pheisty

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2009
Wisconsin
Hey Everyone. You have all made some great points.

I wish I could say my dentist was being a jerk. But......I did some research online about implants and the ALL SAY that the biggest threat to successful/permanent dental implants is smoking. This is because of the "sucking" interfearing with clotting/healing and because nicotine and all the other crap in an analog cause lack of good blood flow/oxygenation to the site of the implant.

Like someone said.....this damn implant is gonna cost me around $5000 bucks and I am neurotic as hell about loosing teeth.

It is good to know some of your had NO problems in spite of smoking.
This helps me is a big help because my plan is to go to zero nicotine and not smoke analogs at all.
BUT........if I get to crazy and have to cheat a little...........my $5000 implant is probably not gonna fall out of my head !!

Good points, all.

I smoked through two root canals, which I was told would create all kinds of problems, including dry socket or something like that. Everything worked out fine. I think you have to be in pretty poor health in general and/or have other medical problems to have issues with a procedure like this. If that's the case, you probably shouldn't be smoking, anyway. ;-)

wdave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2009
Cincinnati, OH
Been vaping for about 18 months. Still have 4 or 5 cigarettes a day. Don't know why. Just still like it.

Anyway ..... I'm going to have a dental implant in mid-october. The Oral surgeon says to minimize the implant having problems and "not taking" I should STOP SMOKING. This apparently includes ALL NICOTINE. He was not impressed with my ecig's and stated that nicotine in any form was as big a problem with the implant as the other bad stuff in regular cigarettes.

Anyway.....I'm gonna switch to zero nicotine. Couple of questions;

I read somewhere that zero nicotine actually still has some nicotine. Is this true??

Did any of you who switched to zero nicotine have terrible nicotine withdrawal?
I used to think my "habit" was more about the process of smoking/oral fixation/handling, ect as much as nicotine. But 4 or 5 years ago when I quit smoking cold turkey, I had some terrible withdrawal. Depression, panic attacks, just generally feeling crappy for the 3 or 4 months while I quit.

Anybody had a dental implant and any smoking issues?
Anybody have anything to say about going to zero nicotine ??

Thanks for the input

JoAnna

Not a dental implant. But I was rejected for a badly needed face lift :)

0 mg is a pipe dream.

Dave

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
48 - 72 hours is what I was told, had two implants. The initial posts were done before I stopped smoking -- I was smoking, but gently to minimize suction (the clot issue, dry socket, is real), later that day.
The crowns were done this January, no issue at all.
My overall oral health has improved a LOT since I stopped smoking, far less staining, sensitivity, gum condition better ... :) If I needed another implant, I'd probably just flip to a patch for a few days -- I've detoxed from the other stuff in cigs, could muddle my way through on it.

prometheus

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2011
Pittsburgh PA
I always smoke/vape after. The only problem I have had was once with dry socket but you will get that by sucking on anything in your mouth. As far as it being the nic that causes problems... it sounds like the same old fear-mongering to me. 99% of the things people blame on nicotine tend to be lies and proven to be true about the other components of cigarettes but not nicotine.

Reactions: bob wet

HazeyPurpleHippy

ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Been vaping for about 18 months. Still have 4 or 5 cigarettes a day. Don't know why. Just still like it.

Anyway ..... I'm going to have a dental implant in mid-october. The Oral surgeon says to minimize the implant having problems and "not taking" I should STOP SMOKING. This apparently includes ALL NICOTINE. He was not impressed with my ecig's and stated that nicotine in any form was as big a problem with the implant as the other bad stuff in regular cigarettes.

Anyway.....I'm gonna switch to zero nicotine. Couple of questions;

I read somewhere that zero nicotine actually still has some nicotine. Is this true??

Did any of you who switched to zero nicotine have terrible nicotine withdrawal?
I used to think my "habit" was more about the process of smoking/oral fixation/handling, ect as much as nicotine. But 4 or 5 years ago when I quit smoking cold turkey, I had some terrible withdrawal. Depression, panic attacks, just generally feeling crappy for the 3 or 4 months while I quit.

Anybody had a dental implant and any smoking issues?
Anybody have anything to say about going to zero nicotine ??

Thanks for the input

JoAnna

My uncle is a dentist, and also makes the implants. He always told me, that its not the actual nic thats the problem. He said its the actual suction thats created in your mouth from taking a pull off of a cig. So I'm not sure what to tell you. There seems to be way less suction involved in vaping. Just take long slow pulls, creating as little suction as possible, and my guess is you will be fine. Hope this helps!

Xaria

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2011
Back in the Holler-VA
I was one of those people also, pulling away from the office with a cig dangling from my mouth and yes, I got a dry socket and it was horrible. Sad part. I would pick the dry socket over not having an analog.
If you do chose the Chantix, please do some research. I just did not mesh well with that stuff. I didn't have the suicidal thoughts or anything but I had horrid dreams every night of people close to me dying in grotesque ways. Horrible stuff.

bwood12043

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2008
East Texas
Yes......I have heard Chantex is evil but didn't know if that was media hype, or real issues. Have you used it? What is it supposed to do???

For some (few) Chantix works well, but my experience and that of many others I know was very very bad. I had horrible nightmares and bad depression, and some suicidal ideologies. Close friend had bad hallucinations while taking it, she saw roadrunners on her kitchen counter, and then the depression kicked in for her too.

Anyone who uses Chantix should report ANY side effects immediately, and if they can, avoid it alltogether.

As for the OP, even lowering your nic intake to the bare minimum and quitting analogs altogether should help. But although your dentist does seem a bit alarmist, keep in mind that nic does restrict blood flow so you could have an issue with moderate to high usage. You do have some time to adjust to no or at least lower nic use, so try gradually lowering your intake and see what results you get, you might be surprised how much your cravings will have been reduced.

Good luck with your implant and take care !

dberkham

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2011
Surprise, AZ
I just got back from the dentist. The implant has failed. I'd go with Uncle Willie's advice. Mine will have to come out and then my bone will have to rebuild for the next 6 months before they attempt another one. I'd try to quit the analogs for sure if I were you. I'd ask the dentist-oral surgeon directly about nicotine effects and the best way to avoid withdrawl that is acceptable to him. I'm bummed.

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Meet Me in St Louie Louie
I just got back from the dentist. The implant has failed. I'd go with Uncle Willie's advice. Mine will have to come out and then my bone will have to rebuild for the next 6 months before they attempt another one. I'd try to quit the analogs for sure if I were you. I'd ask the dentist-oral surgeon directly about nicotine effects and the best way to avoid withdrawl that is acceptable to him. I'm bummed.

Regardless of what anyone may post, nicotine does have adverse effects on the bloodstream .. and those are real medical facts .. no hear say, no fear mongering .. check it out for your self .. there is a reason why nic in any form is discouraged especially when any sort of surgery is involved ..

Reactions: Amber Glines
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread