Help me choose my next mod.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
Ok. I'm looking for a new mod. I would prefer a squonk, obviously as they are just better. I have the topside, which spoiled me. As I look, I find my self saying, sure it's better because of x, y, and z, but how easy is it to fill?

My other issue, I'd love something more durable. The jackaroo is calling me. I don't drive, so the waterproof thing keeps calling me. But... I prefer the way RDAs work on a squonk. It just SEEMS like the way it should be.

FYI; i don't care if it's regulated, mech, or VW, as I can get a vape I like in any, but my preference would be TC.

Thanks.

Reactions: stols001

DarrenMG

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2015
The Jackaroo is decent for what it does well. As you know, it's no squonker, but it does feel rugged and those who have abused it found it held up well. 21700/20700 (18650 optional) is one of the bigger plus points. It is heavy, feels robust, but not something I'd carry in my pocket. Maybe if I had a holster, but I don't ;) It is the mod I take with me into the garage, the backyard, when washing the cars, etc. If it gets dropped or wet it will probably be fine (the tank maybe not). I haven't even bothered with temperature control mode because of all the reviewers concluding it's crap (poorly tuned for SS, inconsistent temp, failing to ramp down when wicks dry up, blah). I use my DNA mods for TC so didn't care, but would steer clear if TC is a must. The menu system seems pretty logical to me, but again I am not using TC so disabled those options (that's a cool feature, you can enable/disable modes you do/don't use). Nice clear and logical color screen is a plus.

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
The Aegis Legend also should fit the bill if you want a rugged mod for outside use. One or two bateries, your choice, the Aegis solo is a tiny little devil. I don't use TC, so I can't report.
As for squonkers, there's no such thing as a rugged squonker. Most don't work with TC and if I have to choose again, the Desire Rage is heavy, rugged, and works like a charm. No TC and only 155w, but you won't regret it. It's not so easy like the Topside, but easy enough to fill. Easier than most!

https://www.heavengifts.com/product/Desire-Rage-MOD.html

DarrenMG

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2015
@Susaz - Well you sold me. Been looking at the Rage for a while. Looks like it does have TC, but whether it works well or not, we will see. Still, I like hefty mods, and prefer dual batteries for use with RDAs (I tend to run them at higher power than tanks). Too bad it only comes with 1 bottle, but the manufacturer offers replacements.

Reactions: Susaz

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
I can only comment about mech sqonkers, so here is a few to look into.

Good, cheap, durable- Hugo Squeezer

Looks and performance- Vicious Ant Spade (DNA and YiHi options avaliable)

Durability, looks, performance- Signature SQ

Most 3D printed mech squonks are also tough and reliable as well, and there are a ton of them to choose from in a variety of styles and prices. The ones I have are all solid (anchor mods, pzld mods, and toaster design just to name a few)

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
I did look at the aegis, but was disappointed by two things, the non legend/solo being binned, and I hear the screen isn't great, as far as the lens itself not being as durable as it should. . there is also a third option, get a second topside and be OK if rain gets in the first.

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
Roquebrune sur Argens, Var, France
What about the VT Inbox Squonker DNA 75 chip so great TC :) Here's a pic...

20190605_165818.jpg

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
What about the VT Inbox Squonker DNA 75 chip so great TC :) Here's a pic...

View attachment 825387
How's the bottle process? I fear the topside ruined me... Much like swuonking ruined me... I can't seem to drip, with out a bottle sucking up excess.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
Ok. I'm looking for a new mod. I would prefer a squonk, obviously as they are just better. I have the topside, which spoiled me. As I look, I find my self saying, sure it's better because of x, y, and z, but how easy is it to fill?

My other issue, I'd love something more durable. The jackaroo is calling me. I don't drive, so the waterproof thing keeps calling me. But... I prefer the way RDAs work on a squonk. It just SEEMS like the way it should be.

FYI; i don't care if it's regulated, mech, or VW, as I can get a vape I like in any, but my preference would be TC.

Thanks.

I don’t know what you want that could be better than the Topside - I’m kind of new to squonking, but I find it easy and pleasant to use.

Most others you’ll have to pull the bottle to fill, but most you can use a squonk refill bottle which rather makes most of them top fill.

I’m just trying whatever looks interesting to me. Some unregulated, some regulated. They all have their pros and cons.

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
I don’t know what you want that could be better than the Topside - I’m kind of new to squonking, but I find it easy and pleasant to use.

Most others you’ll have to pull the bottle to fill, but most you can use a squonk refill bottle which rather makes most of them top fill.

I’m just trying whatever looks interesting to me. Some unregulated, some regulated. They all have their pros and cons.
Well, I'm either going to get a second topside to keep at home and use my first as a beater, or something else for the rainy days.... It was just a long shot that there was another squonk I wouldn't have to remove the bottle or RDA,

I wonder how long the chip in a topside would last under plasti-dip?

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
How's the bottle process? I fear the topside ruined me... Much like swuonking ruined me... I can't seem to drip, with out a bottle sucking up excess.

I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m wrong, but it looks like the bottle tube is straight to the 510. So suck-back should work fine, and top filling with a SRB should work too.

Looks like a nice mod. I saw it at MVS for $70 but I’m gonna see if it’s less elsewhere.

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
Roquebrune sur Argens, Var, France
I find it fine but you have to watch which version you get...I've got the V1 which came with a plastic bottle...some people hated it so they started doing a conversion kit to turn it into a silicone bottle. The squonk system is proprietary so i'm not sure if there are others that will fit.

Of course if you get the version 2 or 3 (we're on 3 now) none of that applies....if I remember correctly you get a spare in the pack.....

It's a good mod at a great price for a DNA 75 :)

EDIT.....You can top fill any squonker....you just need to get the 510 bottle for it.

jandrew

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2013
Winnipeg
.... It was just a long shot that there was another squonk I wouldn't have to remove the bottle or RDA,
A side-fill squonk bottle may open up your options a bit.

I have arctic dolphin side-fill squonk bottles (from Fasttech) in a couple mods -- don't have to remove the bottle or the RDA to fill. I imagine they'd work in a good number of side-panel mods:

$4.54 Authentic Arctic Dolphin Soft Silicone Bottom Feeder Squonk Bottle - 7ml at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Here's a quick demo vid I made for another thread:

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
A side-fill squonk bottle may open up your options a bit.

I have arctic dolphin side-fill squonk bottles (from Fasttech) in a couple mods -- don't have to remove the bottle or the RDA to fill. I imagine they'd work in a good number of side-panel mods:

$4.54 Authentic Arctic Dolphin Soft Silicone Bottom Feeder Squonk Bottle - 7ml at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Here's a quick demo vid I made for another thread:

Winner, winner, chicken dinner! Now to order a case before the FDA figures out the difference between its bodily orifices! (Idiocracy)

@charlie1465. Will these work in the gloom?

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
Well, I'm either going to get a second topside to keep at home and use my first as a beater, or something else for the rainy days.... It was just a long shot that there was another squonk I wouldn't have to remove the bottle or RDA,

I wonder how long the chip in a topside would last under plasti-dip?
I think that’s the whole selling point of Topside, not having to remove the rda or bottle. I haven’t seen another like that.

Mine survived a downpour I got stuck in the other day though, protected by nothing more than my Jean jacket pocket. I wouldn’t want to be out in the rain all day though, unless it was in a baggie.

Reactions: Susaz

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
I clean my bottles about every two days or so. Sometimes less, rarely more. Because of that I decided against getting a topside with the bottle it uses. It makes it too hard to thoroughly clean. It can be rinsed easily inside the carrier, but I would need to remove it to do a total cleaning. I also didn't care that much for the rubber tube connecting the bottle to the 510. It may not be that big of a deal but if it gets nasty it would be a pain to swap out for a new one (likely would be fine and last the lifetime of the mod, but I'm always in the mindset of picking out mechs that naturally last for a much longer time frame than regulated).

I don't have any problems filling a squonk bottle outside of a mod. My wife doesn't either, and she is typically a bit messy with similar stuff. After doing it for a little while it's easy and becomes second nature. I've been known to refill my squonk bottle at a red light while driving without a mess, so taking the bottle out refill really does become very easy to do with a little practice.

There are 510 threaded refill bottles, some like them a some don't. I have one (maybe more, not sure) but when I tried it, it took longer and was more complicated than just taking the bottle out (for me at least).

But if a top fill mod is a must, you are limited to the three variants of the topside.

jandrew

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2013
Winnipeg
Hmmm... Guessing not. That was a pulse in the bid? I can't quite tell. Whats the best way to know if these fit a mod before buying the mod?
The mod in my vid was a Geekvape Athena. As for what mods that bottle would fit? Probably many side-panel squonk mods, it's a fairly standard size --- fits the Athena fine, could fit in my SQ, and I'm sure it would go nicely into my VT Inbox (V3) among others. FT has two versions: 7ml round/cylindrical, and 8ml cuboid (3 square corners and 1 rounded corner) -- same 18mmx45mm dimensions, but the cuboid version might be problematic in some mods.

• Love
Reactions: HigherStateD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread