Help me choose

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grimm1111

Nov 12, 2018
Hi,

I'm trying to quit smoking (pack a day), and I really want to switch to vaping. The problem is that I'm very allergic to PG juice, so I need a system that works with VG juice.

Also, I travel all the time, so I need something pocket-sized, and something that I can charge at night and use during the day.

I'm not so concerned with things like cloud-size or flavor. I'm really looking for something that I can carry around that won't leak, something easy that I don't need to get a million spare parts/coils for.

I tried the Juul and managed to quit with it for a while, but I couldn't tolerate the PG. In the past (2015), I switched from cigarettes to a Kanger system using VG juice, but I kept having to change coils, and the thing would leak in my pocket.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
There are a lot of mods that will fit in your pocket these days. Most of those will be single battery mods that may or may not last you an entire day on one charge. If you choose a mod that uses "external" batteries, you can carry extra charged batteries with you in a plastic battery case and just exchange them when you need to.

All tanks will have the "potential' to leak. Most leaking can be attributed to user error of some sort.

Many people are intolerant or sensitive to using Pg. There are e-liquids which are 100% vg. You just have to do research to find them. My favorite flavor happens to be one of those.
100% VG Coffee Cake eLiquid - Spring Vapor

Many commercial e-liquid vendors allow you to choose the Pg/Vg ratio at the time of order.

Vg is admittedly thicker in consistancy than Pg/Vg mixes, but adding up to 10% distilled water can thin it down enough that it can be used in almost any tank.

Take a look in this blog to get a quick idea of what is available and recommended:

Good Starter Setups for a Beginner Vaper

The Innokin Kroma mod / Zenith tank combo is a commonly recommended setup here. It's one downside is it has only a 2000 mAh internal battery, which may or may not last you all day. That would depend upon how often you use it.

Innokin Kroma-A with Zenith Starter Kit
List Price: $49.99
star4.5.gif
(35)

Should you have additional questions, feel free to ask.

Last edited:

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Concur on the innokin kroma-A. It has long lasting coils (which yes, you will need to occasionally change). It’s a top air atty so it’s about as leak proof as they get. The battery is large so it should last you all day. There are several versions of this kit though and not all come with the zenith atomizer, which is the one you want, so make sure it comes with a zenith rather than something else.

Grimm1111

Nov 12, 2018
I love how simple that tank is. The simpler it is, the more likely I am to use it, so that's a definite plus.

So it seems like there are a million different coil options. I read somewhere (and this may be wrong) that sub-OHM coils work better with VG juice since the liquid is thick.

My only hangup on the Zenith tank, just from looking at the video, is that the coils look rather small, so I'm thinking they might clog. I do love how they just drop in, though.

Do you have any comments on coil selection when it comes to VG vaping?

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I’ve never heard of them clogging. VG doesn’t really make a difference for MTL unless you’re using a pod. You may have to allow extra time to prime the coils though. Coils work on capillary action so the coils need to be completely wet all the way through, but once that is done there should be no issues. You do need to get coils that fit the device though.

If you do want a DL setup (which it sounded like you were avoiding) I suggest a dual battery system and a completely different tank. DL uses a lot more power, so getting an all day vape out of an internal battery gets problematic. It’s possible though. Do you prefer DL?

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
I concur on the Kroma but....

Me thinx a pod would do you better. Check out reviews for the Innokin EQ and Vapresso (Renova) Zero. There are other good one's I'm sure, but those two mimic cigarettes very well and fit neatly into a shirt pocket.

I'm vaping 80/20 (VG/PG) in a Zero without issue. Lasts me all day, easy to refill and
NO LEAKS. :-x

Reactions: Grimm1111

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
My only hangup on the Zenith tank, just from looking at the video, is that the coils look rather small, so I'm thinking they might clog. I do love how they just drop in, though.

Do you have any comments on coil selection when it comes to VG vaping?

I'll admit that I have never used the Zenith tank, but I've not read of an issue with high Vg juice using its coils. There is a thread devoted to the Zenith tank:
Innokin Zenith MTL tank--Phil Busardo
You could post there if you have any doubts.

The Zenith's coil options are:

• *Original and Plexus Edition*Includes (1) Zenith KAL 1.6ohm Atomizer Head (Designed for 10 - 14 Watts)
  • *Original Edition Only*Includes (1) Zenith KAL 0.8ohm Atomizer Head (Designed for 15 - 18 Watts)
  • *Plexus Edition Only* Includes (1) Zenith KAL Plexus Z Coil 0.5ohm Atomizer Head (Designed for 14 - 19W)

Reactions: bombastinator

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I concur on the Kroma but....

Me thinx a pod would do you better. Check out reviews for the Innokin EQ and Vapresso (Renova) Zero. There are other good one's I'm sure, but those two mimic cigarettes very well and fit neatly into a shirt pocket.

I'm vaping 80/20 (VG/PG) in a Zero without issue. Lasts me all day, easy to refill and
NO LEAKS. :-x
You may not be wrong, but imho a full size vape will always beat a pod in cost,performance, and battery life. If you can handle the size of the kroma it’s probably going to work better for you. Pods are smaller and simpler though, there’s no getting around that.

asmcriminal

ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2010
cali
My concern is that most companies do not make a VG based e-liquid. MAX VG does not mean 100% VG. A lot of flavorings are PG based. So if a company uses a VG nicotine, PG flavoring, and top it off with VG they can call it MAX VG.

I also haven't seen VG based flavorings either. But I haven't looked too hard. My concern for you is mostly the wicking. VG doesn't wick very well and you can get dry hits which will negatively affect your vaping experience. The only thing that comes to mind is an RDA. You would have to install coils. You don't have to make them, you can buy them premade. But they are very easy to make with a coiling jig. What comes to mind is the EX Squonk kit. It's very small and compact.

Possibly, start vaping in TC(Temperature control mode) that would help with the wicking. Ideally, it would not fire if the wick is dry.

maxresdefault.jpg

Reactions: Jwaterski

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
Possibly, start vaping in TC(Temperature control mode) that would help with the wicking. Ideally, it would not fire if the wick is dry.
If a build will not wick properly in normal power mode then there is absolutely no point in trying to run it under TC, it would just be an exercise in futility.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
My concern is that most companies do not make a VG based e-liquid. MAX VG does not mean 100% VG. A lot of flavorings are PG based. So if a company uses a VG nicotine, PG flavoring, and top it off with VG they can call it MAX VG.

I also haven't seen VG based flavorings either. But I haven't looked too hard. My concern for you is mostly the wicking. VG doesn't wick very well and you can get dry hits which will negatively affect your vaping experience. The only thing that comes to mind is an RDA. You would have to install coils. You don't have to make them, you can buy them premade. But they are very easy to make with a coiling jig. What comes to mind is the EX Squonk kit. It's very small and compact.

maxresdefault.jpg
He’s using a coil device not an rba. Also thick juice wicks the same as thin (more or less) once the wick is saturated. It’s the saturating that can take extra time

Grimwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Lawrence KS
If you are looking at more of a small pod type device I really like the Aspire Nautilus AIO. It is 1000 mAh battery so one would probably not get you thru a day (might need a couple). It does work as a pass thru so you can vape while charging. Air control so you can dial in mtl. Uses a nautilus coil which is tried and true and easy to find. There is a nautilus coil now meant for nic salts but the only real difference is the wicking holes are larger so might work well with vg. Still most coils today work with high VG if you thin it just a little with distilled water (I only use like 5% DW).

asmcriminal

ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2010
cali
He’s using a coil device not an rba. Also thick juice wicks the same as thin (more or less) once the wick is saturated. It’s the saturating that can take extra time
The juice also has to go through the wicking mechanism. Usually, in tanks, it has to go through some slights, and then go through the interlaced cotton, then travel to the coil. VG has a more difficult time at doing this than PG. VG is obviously thicker.

Yes if it's saturated it's not a problem. But once you take a hit the area around the coil drys a bit and thus has to "re-saturate."

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Not a deal-breaker, but I also would prefer to buy something made in the USA, Canada, or Europe if possible.

Looks like a lot of these kits are plastic Chinese builds, which makes me wonder about the safety and quality.
And wonder you should. Thing is though almost all of it (as well as everything else in the world atm) is made in China. China actually developed vaping as a concept. It’s one of their wholely local inventions. That said though a great deal of it is pure crap. One of the more famous offenders around here is SMOK. I don’t know if they just refuse to address build quality or if they are constantly cloned or what but their products have a distressing reputation for self destructing in short order. Not all Chinese products are bad though. One needs to use caution, avoid omnipresent forgeries, and pay attention to the particular reputation of particular products. The kroma-a has been vetted here by others as decent for example. Which sadly means fakes are likely to crop up soon.

My interest in ecigs has actually translated into an interest in China in general and I’ve been watching YouTube videos of ex pats living in China. Chinese people are having the same issues we are and they like it just as little. There is a gigantic baby formula smuggling industry that moves non Chinese baby formula into the country for example. The whole thing appears to be reaching a tipping point and I suspect the Chinese government will start to clean up the whole thing sometime soon.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Not a deal-breaker, but I also would prefer to buy something made in the USA, Canada, or Europe if possible.

Looks like a lot of these kits are plastic Chinese builds, which makes me wonder about the safety and quality.
In that case double your budget. For $65 & a few internet contortion a jac vapor sandstorm (excellent mod) can be gotten from britian. You’re still stuck with the zenith atty though unless you want to buy Japanese. Then you get to triple your budget

Grimm1111

Nov 12, 2018
In that case double your budget. For $65 & a few internet contortion a jac vapor sandstorm (excellent mod) can be gotten from britian. You’re still stuck with the zenith atty though unless you want to buy Japanese. Then you get to triple your budget

I never mentioned a budget. The way I look at it - smoking cigarettes is itself very expensive. Especially when you think about the medical bills that come with being a smoker.... priority #1 has to be to quit, and to get a device that will really help do that.

I consider switching to vaping to be an investment in my health, and in my family's health/well-being. I'm going to be puffing on that thing every single day, so spending an extra hundred bucks is totally worth it and justifiable, in my opinion.

I get what you're saying about Chinese products not all being bad, and I agree. I probably worded that wrong. I just want the peace of mind for my health, and the added bonus of giving someone at home a job isn't bad either. From the perspective of a newbie vapor, there are a million companies from China, none of which I've even heard of, selling a million things. I'd like to buy from a country that has some more regulations as far as quality and safety. Hope that makes sense.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
If you are looking at more of a small pod type device I really like the Aspire Nautilus AIO. It is 1000 mAh battery so one would probably not get you thru a day (might need a couple). It does work as a pass thru so you can vape while charging. Air control so you can dial in mtl. Uses a nautilus coil which is tried and true and easy to find. There is a nautilus coil now meant for nic salts but the only real difference is the wicking holes are larger so might work well with vg. Still most coils today work with high VG if you thin it just a little with distilled water (I only use like 5% DW).
Great device until you try to fill it... :glare: The end of a normal bottle nozzle will not go down past the edge of the fill port and since there is no seperate air hole, the fill port backs up very easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread