Help me pick a Box Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

mekks082

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2012
Denver, CO
Started with eGo batterys, switched to a provari v2, from there I switched to mech mods and still use them.

The only tank I use atm is a kayfun v4 clone with a .5-.7 coil. I really want to try a box mod with adjustable wattage.

I do not want something HUGE, I keep my mod in my back pocket while at work and would prefer if I did not have to move it.

I also would prefer quality. Something that will last years and I will not have to worry about it falling apart on me.

Must take 18650 batterys also (have a huge stock of these).

Reactions: aikanae1

Freedom2Vape

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 8, 2015
Texas
I have both the VS rDNA40 and the SX Mini "M" Class - IMO the SX Mini is built better - it is heavier and feels sturdier - could take a drop better than the rDNA40. If you want a temperature limiting device - either of these will work (they work with standard builds too). Both are priced very close together ($190 and $200, respectively). The SX Mini has reverse battery protection, but I don't believe the VS rDNA40 does. I have also heard and read that the Vapor Flask is a very good product. That is one that I have an interest - to be able to vape all day without worrying about swapping batteries. Just wish it had the reverse battery protection....
F2V

Reactions: 67Tele

Fictitious Character

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2014
USA
I have both the VS rDNA40 and the SX Mini "M" Class - IMO the SX Mini is built better - it is heavier and feels sturdier - could take a drop better than the rDNA40. If you want a temperature limiting device - either of these will work (they work with standard builds too). Both are priced very close together ($190 and $200, respectively). The SX Mini has reverse battery protection, but I don't believe the VS rDNA40 does.
I have both devices as well and agree with this. The only thing I would disagree with is that a dna 40 does have reverse protection and a newer VS has a buzzer to let you know if you inserted the batter incorrectly.

aikanae1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
az
I also would prefer quality. Something that will last years and I will not have to worry about it falling apart on me.

Must take 18650 batterys also (have a huge stock of these).

None of these little box mods have been out long enough to know how long they'll last. This is one of the issues that I'm struggling with since I'm not a fan of disposable mods. But that's the way it is. I think we'll see a new generation soon.

Freedom2Vape

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 8, 2015
Texas
I have both devices as well and agree with this. The only thing I would disagree with is that a dna 40 does have reverse protection and a newer VS has a buzzer to let you know if you inserted the batter incorrectly.
Fictitious - You're right. I read some of the older dna 40 boards did not include reverse battery protection. Do you know if there is a way to display the firmware version of the dna40 board?
F2V

Kwtony

ECF Veteran
Nov 18, 2014
Key West
Subtank 30w. Istick...
208B4D4C-67C8-40EF-AB1F-C678B14151AB-9653-000003B21A5DC9D7_zpsdp1qiuwr.jpg

Tom Forde

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
NJ
I suggest the IPV4. It's a 100w box with temp control,like the SX Mini M class, VaporShark rDNA40, HB DNA40, & upcoming mods like the Sigelei 75w. I
t's very well priced for what it is, and runs on 2x 18650's in series.
The only other TC mod I have mentioned that can run dual batteries is the SX mini needs an extension battery tube, but also hits 120w in dual 18650 series mode, and the SX is over twice the cost + an extra $29.99 for the battery tube, which kind of makes it look like a light saber. I've been wanting an SX Mini M for myself for a while now, but I won't pick one up unless YIHI figures out a way to reconfigure the battery extension.
I personally have a Sigelei 100w, IPV mini 30w (wouldn't consider it a "box" by any means), and a Sigelei 50w Vr2. I barely find myself going over 70w, and being that the IPV4 is a 100w mod that just came out on the market and has TC & firmware updates, I'd say it's a great box for the price considering what you're getting.

Last edited:
Reactions: yo han

67Tele

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Austin
I have both the VS rDNA40 and the SX Mini "M" Class - IMO the SX Mini is built better - it is heavier and feels sturdier - could take a drop better than the rDNA40. If you want a temperature limiting device - either of these will work (they work with standard builds too). Both are priced very close together ($190 and $200, respectively). The SX Mini has reverse battery protection, but I don't believe the VS rDNA40 does. I have also heard and read that the Vapor Flask is a very good product. That is one that I have an interest - to be able to vape all day without worrying about swapping batteries. Just wish it had the reverse battery protection....
F2V

Agree about the SX MINI S or M. I have both as well as the VS rDNA 30. rDNA is a tad smaller and I've had no problems with the Evolv chip. Both the SX S and M have performed flawlessly and with only a $10 difference I'd recommend the M series in case you want to do TC (I haven't ventured into that territory yet.)

Good luck!

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
Another vote for the SX Mini here. "Pocketability" being a factor for you, the S may be better than the M (it's considerably lighter in weight). But as Tele said, if TC is a goal, then you must go M.

The IPV Mini is a nice substitute, but doesn't exactly fit some of your specs. Build quality appears to be pretty good, but definitely not on par with the SX.

yo han

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2008
the Dutch mountains
If price is no issue then yes, the SX Mini is a nice mod.
Keep in mind though that even a high quality item may break if you drop it onto a concrete floor.
It may not bother you but I don't feel comfortable running around with a $200 item all day. Especially since it's something you constantly take out and put back into your pocket.
Ever wondered why replacement screens for phones are such a hot selling item?

Tom Forde

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
NJ
If price is no issue then yes, the SX Mini is a nice mod.
Keep in mind though that even a high quality item may break if you drop it onto a concrete floor.
It may not bother you but I don't feel comfortable running around with a $200 item all day. Especially since it's something you constantly take out and put back into your pocket.
Ever wondered why replacement screens for phones are such a hot selling item?
Agreed. The SX Mini (either class), is a great mod & is solidly built, but sometimes all it takes is one drop to break a mod. I've gotten lucky with my Sigelei 100w, dropped it on concrete maybe 2-3 times and it still works flawlessly. If you like the SX mini, the IPV Mini 2 70w would be a good single 18650 alternative. I have the IPV Mini 30w and mine has been nothing but a headache with the onboard ohm readings being too low and voltage being low to the point that I had to replace the internal wiring with thicker gauge wire.
The IPV Mini 2 uses a different chip and has thicker internal connections and is built better than the original IPV Mini.
I still stick by the IPV4 suggestion however, as your battery life will be longer and the mod has TC if you want to use ni200 wire.
As for "pocketability," my sig 100w fits in my jeans pockets fine, I used to carry 1 or 2 packs of cigarettes and a zippo daily. So a putting a box mod in my pocket is the same as a pack of cigarettes and a zippo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread