Status
Not open for further replies.

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
Now that y'all mentioned it, i get a bit congested myself sometimes. I usually vape 70 or occasionally 80% vg juices. But im still hoplessly addicted to nicotine and vape like a fiend except when im at work. I was starting to wonder myself why i started coughing more than when i first started vaping. But, on the other hand, some of the sweeter juices sometimes catch in the back of my throat on the exhale and it makes me cough. Theres my two cents on this issue....

SpidaFly

ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2014
Glenadle, AZ
Now that y'all mentioned it, i get a bit congested myself sometimes. [.....]some of the sweeter juices sometimes catch in the back of my throat on the exhale and it makes me cough. Theres my two cents on this issue....

Yeah, one of the biggest reasons I started DIYing years ago is because super super sweet juices tend to be so popular. There's a heap of great juices out there that I personally just can't stomach because they're too sweet. I don't have a sweet tooth - don't really enjoy candy, soda, cake, donuts etc... so by DIYing I can "clone" a favorite flavor and then add far less sweetener than I think "the pros" would use. Saves heaps of money too! Awesome!

Oh, and by the way: at this point I took my first antibiotic dose and my first steroid dose about 10 hours ago. I am still coughing, but not nearly as violently and I'm not nearly as wheezy! That steroid works FAST! I even took a 4-ish hour nap just now, got to sleep easily, woke up, and vaped without a coughing fit! Too bad the steroid makes me so shaky and anxious... that 4 hour nap wasn't supposed to be a nap :) But I have a video game and 2 books waiting to be read, so at least there's that :)

I'll keep taking the pills for the full course and keep plenty hydrated.

Thanks again y'all.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
@SpidaFly - I didn't see anything from others about the following (maybe helping to contribute to your coughing somewhat), so I'll put in my 2 cents, too. Might be something else to think about and consider.

I noticed that 1 of your DIY recipes includes TFA Strawberry. That flavoring does have ethyl alcohol in it, that should be evaporated off before vaping the eliquid. EA is not good for the lungs, and some people are sensitive to it, too!

Easy way to get rid of it is to make the eliquid, then shake it like crazy to cause lots of bubbles, and leave it uncapped for a few days. I put my finger over the top of the bottle and shake it like that 2-3 times a day. The EA will evaporate off. Many people say they can definitely tell the difference in taste and hit when it's gone.

Another option would be to use TFA Strawberry Ripe instead in your recipe, since it has NO ethyl alcohol in it. I use it almost exclusively now instead of the Strawberry, and I know others have switched to it, too.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Wow, glad your son is doing better! So glad that worked out for him! I used to have very frequent and brutal migraines as a kid too so I very much know what he (and you!) had to deal with. So nice to hear a success story! I still get migraines occasionally, but anymore only about one every couple months. Bummer is that I am legitimately allergic to NSAIDs... so I have no realistic pain relief options besides downing a bunch of caffeine, laying on an ice pack, and hoping I can fall asleep in order to wait it out.

I do take Zyrtec and I do use Flonase and that keeps my allergies under control for the MOST part... except for spring when there's so much ragweed that I'm miserable no matter what I take. I only moved to the Phoenix area 7 years ago, but my wife and I plan on staying here permanently, so I'm thinking of looking into allergy shots myself. I've heard they work wonders for some people, so I'm willing to take a shot (bad pun... sorry... I'm not that sharp... oops I did it again... anyway, back to the point...)

Ok I'll just stop now. :D lol

PS. Oh, one of my best friend's dogs almost died from valley fever. Poor thing! He is better now thank goodness!

You can't take imitrex for your migraines?

It's not an nsaid to my knowledge - and it works wonders!

SpidaFly

ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2014
Glenadle, AZ
You can't take imitrex for your migraines?
It's not an nsaid to my knowledge - and it works wonders!
You know, it has been one of those things I've just never asked my doctor about.

Can it be taken when you get a migraine, or does it need to be a daily dose prophylactic sort of thing?

I know SOME Imitrex formulations have Naproxen in them, which has the same effect on me as aspirin, toridol, diclofenac, etc. But if a formulation exists without an nsaid combination, that sure would like a good idea! I'll have to ask my GP when I follow up on the 11th.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
You know, it has been one of those things I've just never asked my doctor about.

Can it be taken when you get a migraine, or does it need to be a daily dose prophylactic sort of thing?

I know SOME Imitrex formulations have Naproxen in them, which has the same effect on me as aspirin, toridol, diclofenac, etc. But if a formulation exists without an nsaid combination, that sure would like a good idea! I'll have to ask my GP when I follow up on the 11th.

You take it early onset of a migraine... clears it right up. I take the shots (subq that you give yourself) but I think it "might" (?) come in pill form... not positive though.

Definitely talk to your doctor about it.. see if it's something you can take. If you get the shots it's similar to a diabetic taking insulin shots.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
There are tons of migraine abortives, yes. I know the kid tried several, and the ones that worked made him pretty much pass out (not that he was doing much other than suffering, migraines don't exactly make you functional....) so some of the treatments can be pretty heavy duty. But there are several non NSAID medications you can take at the first onset of a migraine that aren't NSAIDS, it just depends on how bad your migraines are and if you can function with them or not. My sis got them too, and also would take meds that pretty much made her pass out for 6 hours, which in my book is better than laying in a dark room suffering. There are some that you can try first for relief that won't make you quite so non-functional though, and if you are lucky, those may work? (I'm forgetting all the medication names, it has been a while....)

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread