Help vaping and reducing nicotine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joanne Barlow

Jan 9, 2020
Hi
I am new to this and wanting some advice, I have smoked for 22 years, I have been diagnosed with copd at the age of 36 I tried champix didnt work first round sort of did I cut down to 4 tabs a day but doc would not continue to give me them, tried again another 2 times got the tablets but never took them. So in December decided to stop smoking and went to vaping and using the champix I started at 16mg and now on 8mg and taking champix for 4 weeks, should I continue to take tablets and reduce to 0mg then stop tablets or shall I come off tablets and continue to reduce on vaping?

Pls help, I have not smoked a cigarette for 4 weeks and cant stand smell or taste I tried a one new years eve.

Reactions: BrotherBob

Joanne Barlow

Jan 9, 2020
vaping and using champix stopped smoking 2nd December started tablets and straight on to vaping, should I continue to vape and reduce nicotine mg and take tablets or stop tablets and reduce vape, an doing this by myself as I have champix off failed attempt. But only got 2 weeks left. I am now vaping 8mg which am using a lot but went from 18, 16, 8 from December 2nd to now.

Thanks

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Vaping and using champix stopped smoking 2nd December started tablets and straight on to vaping, should I continue to vape and reduce nicotine mg and take tablets or stop tablets and reduce vape, an doing this by myself as I have champix off failed attempt. But only got 2 weeks left. I am now vaping 8mg which am using a lot but went from 18, 16, 8 from December 2nd to now.

Thanks
Hi and welcome,
IMO,
Nicotine is just about harmless.
Get away from the combustion cigarettes first. Worry about reducing your nicotine levels later in the process.
If a doctor gave you the meds, please follow up with her, now that you are taking them again.

@Izan; 27year smoker- 2 PAD; started with 18mg/ml and stayed at 18mg/ml for the first 3 years. Now at 6mg/ml.

Best of luck!
I

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Vaping and using champix stopped smoking 2nd December started tablets and straight on to vaping, should I continue to vape and reduce nicotine mg and take tablets or stop tablets and reduce vape, an doing this by myself as I have champix off failed attempt. But only got 2 weeks left. I am now vaping 8mg which am using a lot but went from 18, 16, 8 from December 2nd to now.

Thanks

Vape and smoke and the vape will eventually take away the smokes without all the withdrawal issues. You'll just quit one day and find yourself surprised that you don't want a cigarette as long as your vape supplies the nic.

1n 2010 I started vaping 24mg juice. Within a few weeks my two pack a day smoking habit was down to about 6 cigs a day. I just vaped 24mg juice and became infatuated with vaping. I really didn't realize that vaping was slowing my smoking urges so much, but I was quickly down to one after a meal, one here and there with a cup of coffee, and one before bed at night.

As long as I had my vape I didn't think about smoking any more. About 3 months into vaping I decided not to buy another pack. I never smoked again and it's been 10 years since my last smoke. For several years I've been vaping 3mg unflavored DIY juice.

Last edited:

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
    Welcome to ECF, Joanne Barlow.

Personally, I wouldn't have even tried to use Chantix. I take enough pills right now. The commercial scared the poop outta me anyway. My suggestion would be to vape only, and maybe up the nic level a bit if need be, to like 12 maybe. The nic drop levels you stated are pretty fast. How much did you smoke of what kind of cigarette before?

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 25, 2014
    toledo ohio
    You have pills left from a failed attempt. That ought to tell you what you need to do.

Do not rush to drop nic levels though - that is a leading reason for failing to quit smoking. You need to get how much nic you need to get. And either you’ll vape more liquid with less nic or you’ll vape less liquid with more nic to achieve satisfaction, or you won’t be able to give up the smokes.

Most of us who have been vaping for years started fairly high nic and naturally decreased over time with zero issue.

puffon

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    shall I come off tablets and continue to reduce on vaping?
    Welcome to the forum.
    It's something you will have to decide, but I would come off the tablets and continue vaping as long as necessary.
    I wouldn't rush reducing or eliminating vaping.
    Congrats on the 4 weeks!
    @classwife can move your question to a better forum category, for more feedback.

Edit: looks like the thread was combined with an existing thread.

Last edited:
    • Agree
    Reactions: Joanne Barlow

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    Anti-smoking drug 'greatly raises suicide risk and should only be used as a last resort' | Daily Mail Online

The Food and Drug Administration and varenicline: should risk communication be improved?

Get off of that nasty psych drug!

My advice is to stay off the cigarettes and continue to vape, adjusting the nic concentration as needed. As @DeloresRose said, don't rush to drop nic levels which is a leading reason for failure. Everyone knows vaping is safer than smoking, except the media and government. You could also look into the oral nicotine pouches like ZEN or ON!.

Joanne Barlow

Jan 9, 2020
    You dropped the nic level very quickly. If 8 isn't working for you, I'd bump it back up to 12. I never tried Chantix because the side effects scare me. Good luck and welcome to ECF. You're on the right track.
    Yeah I thought it was better to drop quick as am on the champix, but dont know if that's a good thing to drop that quick am am new to vaping well since 2nd December 2019 lol.

Joanne Barlow

Jan 9, 2020
    Hi and welcome,
    IMO,
    Nicotine is just about harmless.
    Get away from the combustion cigarettes first. Worry about reducing your nicotine levels later in the process.
    If a doctor gave you the meds, please follow up with her, now that you are taking them again.

@Izan; 27year smoker- 2 PAD; started with 18mg/ml and stayed at 18mg/ml for the first 3 years. Now at 6mg/ml.

Best of luck!
    I
    I dont want to smoke a cigarette, I find thy smell and I am happy with vape but wanting to stop all together, am now wondering if am not vaping the correct way ie dose I dropped

Reactions: Izan

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
    25 cigarettes total, or a day? What kind of cigarettes? Have you read your other post, which is now a thread? It has at least a dozen replies, most of which answer this question.

eta (edited to add): oh, I see you have read, and replied to some of the other posts in that thread.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread