help with Nautilus 2 please

Status
Not open for further replies.

N2rock

ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2011
Sugar Land, TX
I've been vaping old school (carto tanks) for years. Finally went and bought a Nautilus 2 tank Saturday used the 1.8 coil, and once I got it sent up properly, OMG the flavor was just amazing! Instantly fell in love (even though the tanks is so small it requires constantly re-filling it). So the tank vaped flawlessly through Saturday and all day Sunday. Then Sunday evening the flavor started to fall off. and then suddenly DRY HIT. WTH? I emptied the tank, took it apart, and studied it carefully I really could not see anything wrong or gunked up, so I put it back together. Took a hit and the flavor was back. But 5 hits later, and dry hit again. Repeated the process, and got the same results.

So WTH is going wrong? Why did it vape perfectly for 2 days, and then suddenly dry hit becomes the norm? I didnt change juice, so it makes no sense that it would wick fine for 2 days, and then suddenly it wont wick at all. I really love the vape in this tank, but now I'm back on my trusty carto tank until I can determine what is going on.

BTW, if anyone knows of a larger tank that can achieve a stiffer draw like the Nautilus 2 is capable of, let me know.

• Creative
Reactions: sgobots

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Um. Could be a few things. Depending on gunking factors (high VG, high flavoring percentages, NET or WTA tobacco, very sweet or dark juices) you may be getting dry hits as the coil starts to die. The smaller BVC coils don't hold up that well in the N2, in part due to size (so I think, as I get better nautilus coil life in the Kabuki, which is 3 ml rather than 2) and if you want to try one out that uses the same coil tank, you can buy a kabuki clone at FT, fairly inexpensively. It doesn't measure up to an original Kabuki in most ways, but it's a good way to try out something before you decide to buy the original. It takes the same coils, which come in 1.8, 1.6 or 0.7 coils. So it's possible you just need a new coil, or a different PG/VG ratio, or less sweet juice, but the first thing I would try is installing a new coil. . By the way, the 1.6 coil doesn't come with the tank but it's actually my favorite coil, the slightly lower resistance does make a huge difference.

To consistently wick juice up into my coils with these smaller BVC coils, I continue to inhale about 2 seconds after I stop pressing the fire button, which removes any dry hits for me. You could also adjust the airflow and see if that helps matters.

I really like the N2, and especially some of the tanks that use those coils, the Kabuki is probably my favorite drop in coil tank. With that said, I am really enjoying the EUC Universal c-cell coils, made by vaperesso, but they can go in many tanks, including the Melo III, for example. They come in a wide range of resistances, last a long time (my favorite is the 1.0 coil) and can be rebuilt. There's a long thread on them to check out if you are interested.

Some folks like the Nautilus X for MTL, I am also partial to a tank called the vapefly Nicolas tank, it's a bit airy on the 0.6 coil but the 1.8 has a tighter draw, coils last a long time and they are inexpensive as well.

Best of luck, but really change your coil. I know 2 days doesn't seem like much but it's not unheard of depending on how much and what kind of juice you are running in it.

Anna

Reactions: r77r7r

N2rock

ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2011
Sugar Land, TX
thanks so much for the info. My juice is a pistachio tobacco at 70/30, and unfortunately it doesnt come in a lower VG mix, so I'm sorta stuck with it. I can't change the air flow because I like it at the last hole (the tightest draw). Any other holes are too airy which is why I have avoided tanks for so long.

Guess I will go back to that store and buy a pack of coils today. But if this thing is going to go thru coils at this rate, I will be going back to my carto tank, as the cartos are cheap and last longer than 1.5 day.

Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Well, that's the tradeoff. You can revive coils for a few days usually, I soak mine in very hot distilled water, then rinse and dry fully (I live in AZ so I just put them outside) and honestly, try the 0.7 coil, it's "technically' sub0hm but with the right wattage and airflow, you can get a decent MTL hit. It will last far longer than the 1.8 coils with the type of juice you are using. Although you can always purchase and add some PG to the juice you have now to thin it a little (heck, even a few drops of distilled water might help, I am max VG only (PG sensitive) so I use 10% in my mixes and my vape is so much easier and less gunky. You can get PG at most pharmacies, though, as long as it's USP grade, it's fine. Don't give up on this tank quite yet, you may really enjoy the 0.7 coil (I run mine at the exact same wattage as the 1.8 coil and with reduced airflow, and it's really quite nice. I believe the vape is far superior to cartos, so hang with it for a bit. :)

Good luck, and I really think you should take a look at your juice situation as well as try the other coil... It's also possible something got trapped under your coil, and if you notice "gunk" on it when you refill, washing off the coil will also prevent coil malfunction and poor wicking.

Good luck, this was my quitting tank and I still use one every day. And seriously, check out Fasttech and a Kabuki clone, it really takes all the negatives of the N2 and turns them into positives (larger size, more adjustable airflow, better design for flavor). You'd have to wait a bit, but if you're feeling annoyed with the N2 but you like the vape, that is where I would go next..

Best of luck with whatever you decide.... :)

Anna

• Agree
Reactions: redeuce

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    thanks so much for the info. My juice is a pistachio tobacco at 70/30, and unfortunately it doesnt come in a lower VG mix, so I'm sorta stuck with it. I can't change the air flow because I like it at the last hole (the tightest draw). Any other holes are too airy which is why I have avoided tanks for so long.

Guess I will go back to that store and buy a pack of coils today. But if this thing is going to go thru coils at this rate, I will be going back to my carto tank, as the cartos are cheap and last longer than 1.5 day.
    N2, it does take a fair amount of adjustment to move from cartos. I only did last fall and had good luck with the big nautilus tank. There is also a very carto like tank from innokin that many are happy with. I am just trying out the Joye Exceed tank which may be similar to the N2.
    I have to loosen the topcap on this to break the vacuum halfway through or I get dry burnt hits. You could try some distilled water also.

redeuce

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 11, 2017
    Chicago suburbs
    www.nofearmotorsports.com
    Try 1 1/2 holes just for kicks and see if it helps. Pull more air.That’s pretty closed off for that mixture.

This might sound obvious, but if the top is not pretty snug, you will lose pressure. One of mine has an airflow that is a little tight to turn. So I tighten the bell on the base a little tighter on that one so I don’t inadvertently loosen it when adjusting the airflow. I also run water through the bell on each refill.

N2rock

ECF Veteran
    Jan 29, 2011
    Sugar Land, TX
    The Exceed tank comes with a 3.5ml extension and the nautilus tanks are good sized also. I'm happy with the smaller exceed tank because it top fills as easy as our side fill cartotanks
    Texas Tuff Tanks go out of business?

yeah, I think they are out of business. When our last ones stripped out, I contacted the shop I used to buy from. they still had some in their inventory, they just didn't actually sell them anymore. So they sold me a few.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    As an option, you could try the tanks that I used. They are the heavier polycarbonate and I got a drill bit and threader to clean up the threads or make new ones.Last forever. I used the last one straight for 4.5yrs,lol.
    Momandpop vape shop here on ecf.
    Kabuki sounds like a good choice though, GL.

N2rock

ECF Veteran
    Jan 29, 2011
    Sugar Land, TX
    I really want to love this tank because the flavor is amazing. But the coils are driving me crazy. First 2 coils each lasted less than 24 hours and started dry hitting. juice is 70/30 and is a darker juice. Someone suggested going with a lighter juice (also 70/30), so I tried that. and that coil lasted only 6 hours.

I've hit all the nearby vape shops looking for a juice with lower VG, but they all only sell 70/30 and 100% VG. One of the shops suggested trying a Triton coil, so I bought one of those. Just started using that one, and it just doesn't generate flavor like the Nautilus coils. So even if it does work, it's such a weak flavor that it's not worth it.

Found an online shop that allows picking the mix, so I ordered some 50/50 juice from there. Hopefully a lower VG will fix the problem, but wont know for a few days while waiting for delivery.

What baffles me is why I'm having so much trouble with 70/30? Judging from stores and online, 70/30 is the norm (finding lower VG mixes has become a real challenge). So if everyone else is vaping this mix on this coil, why am I having problems that others aren't? Man I miss the days of 70 PG juices.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    How sweet are your juices and who makes them? What flavor juices have you used? Some are known gunkers. I'm pretty confused though, when I started with the N2 I was using 100%VG (am sensitive to PG) and even then, my coils lasted longer than that. I continued to draw for a few seconds after I stopped hitting the power button, and that really helped with wicking issues, but even then, I'd get 4--5 days, depending.

What's your wattage? Perhaps it is too high for the coils and burning them out swiftly? I didn't care much for the triton mini coils in the Nautilus 2 myself.

I'd really suggest ordering a Kabuki Clone from FT, they aren't bad, but what they will give you is better airflow, less heat as it's a larger tank, and better flavor. I liked the Nautilus 2 a LOT... until I got my (genuine) Kabuki and there was NO comparison, but I'm really surprised by how much trouble you are having with your coils. How much are you vaping it? Because especially if chain vaping in the morning, your tank will heat up. I solved that by running more than one setup(s) and if you can't find PG near you, I would suggest adding a few drops of distilled water to your current e-juice (the few drops would go directly into the tank) to thin it more. With that said, if you are say, refilling it 7 times a day, that will make a difference as well. Coil life is less dependent on days that pass, but on days that go by.... I change my coils FAR less frequently these days, but I have 6 setups with different flavors.

So, I'd buy another setup as a backup, for one, but also so maybe you aren't using that tank all day long, etc. Lots of other good MTL options out there with good flavor, I am particularly partial to the EUC c-cell coils that will fit in a lot of tanks, I love the 1.0 resistance ones. I am also partial to the Nicholas Vapefly MTL tank that's kind of a nifty little tank that's a bit different but still MTL, as well as some RTA setups, not to mention my two Kabukis.

Best of luck,

Anna

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 26, 2012
    Texas
    IMO, it isn't so much the pg/vg ratio as it is the dark, overly flavored or sweetened liquid.
    The flavorings and especially sweeteners clog wicking material & cause rapid build up of coil gunk, this is accelerated by restricted / low air flow.
    If your liquids are actually colored as in colorant added, just me, I wouldn't vape them, at all.

When changing styles of delivery devices there is a learning curve to find how it works best for you. Sometimes that includes changing your personal method of vaping.
    Coming from a carto tank to a nautilus with bvc heads is quite a step, the nautilus works best with substantially more airflow than any carto tank & slightly more power.

My wife uses 40pg/60vg & 30pg/70vg clear non sweet liquids with a kabuki / nautilus bvc heads, I use clear non sweet 50/50. Absolutely zero problems with dry hits or head life.

If you're now using a triton mini head it could be the Clapton style, it will need more power due to the wire used inside the head to provide a similar vape and can be used at higher powers.

N2rock

ECF Veteran
    Jan 29, 2011
    Sugar Land, TX
    How sweet are your juices and who makes them? What flavor juices have you used? Some are known gunkers. I'm pretty confused though, when I started with the N2 I was using 100%VG (am sensitive to PG) and even then, my coils lasted longer than that. I continued to draw for a few seconds after I stopped hitting the power button, and that really helped with wicking issues, but even then, I'd get 4--5 days, depending.

What's your wattage? Perhaps it is too high for the coils and burning them out swiftly? I didn't care much for the triton mini coils in the Nautilus 2 myself.

Yes, they are sweet juices- sweet tobacco blends like Rye4/pistachio blend and Rye4/butterscotch blend. Wattage is 14w on 1.8ohm coil. Anything less than 14 is no flavor. I get more flavor at even higher wattage, but the vape is too warm for my liking, so I found 14 to be a good middle ground.

I'd really suggest ordering a Kabuki Clone from FT, they aren't bad, but what they will give you is better airflow, less heat as it's a larger tank, and better flavor. I liked the Nautilus 2 a LOT... until I got my (genuine) Kabuki and there was NO comparison,

I ordered a clone on Tuesday

but I'm really surprised by how much trouble you are having with your coils. How much are you vaping it? Because especially if chain vaping in the morning, your tank will heat up. I solved that by running more than one setup(s) and if you can't find PG near you, I would suggest adding a few drops of distilled water to your current e-juice (the few drops would go directly into the tank) to thin it more. With that said, if you are say, refilling it 7 times a day, that will make a difference as well. Coil life is less dependent on days that pass, but on days that go by.... I change my coils FAR less frequently these days, but I have 6 setups with different flavors.

So, I'd buy another setup as a backup, for one, but also so maybe you aren't using that tank all day long, etc. Lots of other good MTL options out there with good flavor, I am particularly partial to the EUC c-cell coils that will fit in a lot of tanks, I love the 1.0 resistance ones. I am also partial to the Nicholas Vapefly MTL tank that's kind of a nifty little tank that's a bit different but still MTL, as well as some RTA setups, not to mention my two Kabukis.

Best of luck,

Anna

Refilling it a lot! With the Rye4/pistachio I was refilling it like twice an hour! It seemed to just suck the juice down. Yesterday when I switched to the butterscotch blend, I found it didn’t suck the juice down nearly as bad, and required a refill every 2 hours or so. But that butterscotch blend is the one that dry hit after only 7 hours.

N2rock

ECF Veteran
    Jan 29, 2011
    Sugar Land, TX
    IMO, it isn't so much the pg/vg ratio as it is the dark, overly flavored or sweetened liquid.
    The flavorings and especially sweeteners clog wicking material & cause rapid build up of coil gunk, this is accelerated by restricted / low air flow.
    If your liquids are actually colored as in colorant added, just me, I wouldn't vape them, at all.

When changing styles of delivery devices there is a learning curve to find how it works best for you. Sometimes that includes changing your personal method of vaping.
    Coming from a carto tank to a nautilus with bvc heads is quite a step, the nautilus works best with substantially more airflow than any carto tank & slightly more power.

My wife uses 40pg/60vg & 30pg/70vg clear non sweet liquids with a kabuki / nautilus bvc heads, I use clear non sweet 50/50. Absolutely zero problems with dry hits or head life.

If you're now using a triton mini head it could be the Clapton style, it will need more power due to the wire used inside the head to provide a similar vape and can be used at higher powers.

Yeah, sweet flavors is a basic requirement for me. I gave up smoking and went full time vape 7 years ago, and have vaped nothing but sweet tobacco flavors. If I can’t have the enjoyment of a sweet vape, I might as well just stick to the crappy carto tanks LOL

I have been vaping this at a more restricted airflow- using it with only 2 air holes opened. Coming from a carto tank, I'm used to that sort of draw. But I will try now with full air flow and see if that helps the life of these coils. I have already given up on the Triton coil. I couldn’t get any flavor at 14w, so I kept bumping it up. It improved a little but never got to where it was as flavorful as the N2 coil.

Right now I'm back on another N2 coil. I've opened up the air flow completely and bumped the power up to 18w. That airy draw is going to take some getting used to.

redeuce

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 11, 2017
    Chicago suburbs
    I really want to love this tank because the flavor is amazing. But the coils are driving me crazy. First 2 coils each lasted less than 24 hours and started dry hitting. juice is 70/30 and is a darker juice. Someone suggested going with a lighter juice (also 70/30), so I tried that. and that coil lasted only 6 hours.

I've hit all the nearby vape shops looking for a juice with lower VG, but they all only sell 70/30 and 100% VG. One of the shops suggested trying a Triton coil, so I bought one of those. Just started using that one, and it just doesn't generate flavor like the Nautilus coils. So even if it does work, it's such a weak flavor that it's not worth it.

Found an online shop that allows picking the mix, so I ordered some 50/50 juice from there. Hopefully a lower VG will fix the problem, but wont know for a few days while waiting for delivery.

What baffles me is why I'm having so much trouble with 70/30? Judging from stores and online, 70/30 is the norm (finding lower VG mixes has become a real challenge). So if everyone else is vaping this mix on this coil, why am I having problems that others aren't? Man I miss the days of 70 PG juices.
    There’s something strange here. My two N2’s have been trouble free. Where are you getting the coils? Are they in a black box that says Nautilus BVC coils? Is there a scratch off verification code on the box?

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    That's a lot of refilling so if you are going to use sweet juices at higher wattages, I do think a larger tank with more adjustable airflow and better airflow (the kabuki clone) will help.

Best of luck with it. Honestly, I might consider saving those flavors for another tank, maybe one with slightly lower resistance (and bigger) coils like the EUC c-cell coils. In the Nautilus 2, if you put a lot of juice through it it will not be forgiving of chainvaping dark or sweet juices.

It can still be a good tank for you but you have to understand its limitations. I minimize gunking factors and get great flavor at around 8 or 9 watts with those coils. I think you might enjoy the 1.6 resistance coils and have you tried the 0.7 yet? That might be your best bet (keep your wattage the same and see what happens).

Adding air will only help you.

Anna

redeuce

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 11, 2017
    Chicago suburbs
    Yes, they are sweet juices- sweet tobacco blends like Rye4/pistachio blend and Rye4/butterscotch blend. Wattage is 14w on 1.8ohm coil. Anything less than 14 is no flavor. I get more flavor at even higher wattage, but the vape is too warm for my liking, so I found 14 to be a good middle ground.

I ordered a clone on Tuesday

Refilling it a lot! With the Rye4/pistachio I was refilling it like twice an hour! It seemed to just suck the juice down. Yesterday when I switched to the butterscotch blend, I found it didn’t suck the juice down nearly as bad, and required a refill every 2 hours or so. But that butterscotch blend is the one that dry hit after only 7 hours.
    Either there is something wrong with the tank, clone coils, or user error. Vaping a tankful in a half hour is not right.

• Agree
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread