The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

help with Nautilus 2 please

Discussion in 'Tanks, clearomizers and drop-in coils' started by N2rock, Nov 27, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. N2rock

N2rock Super Member ECF Veteran

Jan 29, 2011
    Sugar Land, TX
    Yes to all

• Like Like x 1
  2. N2rock

Jan 29, 2011
    Sugar Land, TX
    I know it sounds odd, maybe I just vape a lot. But it’s not leaking, so the juice has to be going somewhere

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. N2rock

Jan 29, 2011
    Sugar Land, TX
    I have not tried the 0.7 coil (I forgot all about that one, it’s still in the box). I guess I will attempt that next

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    A tankful in a half hour is a lot, but to me the wattage seems like a lot. How often are you hitting it, and have you tried lower wattage with more airflow (airier vape, possibly tastier too). I agree that SOMETHING is going wrong.

Have you considered upping your nic so that you aren't vaping quite as much? You may need MUCH higher nic levels in a tank that is as MTL as this one....

I'm running out of ideas here, though, I must say. :(

Anna

5. Topwater Elvis

Topwater Elvis Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    Texas
    14w on your normal 1.8Ω bvc head is right on the edge of at least scorching if not burning the wicking material rapidly.
    Scorching the wicking material reduces its ability to wick well and or consistently, this leads to random dry hits & lack of flavor and drastically reduces head life.
    Airflow is what helps cool the coil & vapor.

Always fully prime / saturate a new/used head, install in base, fill tank, thread together & let sit for a few minutes.
    Always start a new head off at a low power & gradually work your way up over the first at least half tank to ensure it is wicking properly & 'break in' to prevent scorching / burning wicking material.

Most folks use somewhere around 7w ~ 11w with the 1.6Ω heads, or 9w ~ 13w with the 1.8Ω heads.
    Sure you can get a few occasional hits at a higher power like 15w - 18w with the 1.8Ω head but that would require the airflow to be wide open using a strong fast inhale to move a lot of air through it so the wicking material doesn't scorch or burn.

2ml in 30 minutes is close to extreme consumption, ever thought about increasing nic so you can decrease ml's used?
    If you only vape 10 hours per day that's 40ml per day. Even using a dark/colored sweet liquid you should get at least 70 - 80 mils per head.
    If you're using a goopy gunky low quality liquid head life could be much less.
    The quality of liquid used plays a big part in head life.

What power device are you using?
    Is it reading the resistance correctly or at least close?
    Are you using WTA or NET liquids?

Something isn't adding up.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. redeuce

redeuce Ultra Member Verified Member

Jul 11, 2017
    Chicago suburbs
    I agree. Although if the OP is chain puffing for 30 straight minutes at 14-15 watts with the 1.8, I’m not sure how the coil would react. I would think the bell would be so hot it would be hard to vape at all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Walee

Walee Super Member

Oct 6, 2017
    I can only say I am baffled. I could not empty mine in a half hour. I use it on a Spire @ 6V so that's about 20 Watts. I agree the flavor is amazing. I keep the airflow wide open and for an mtl the vapor production isn't bad either. I do kinda "slip stream" it. I use 50/50 DYI fruit or citrus blends and my coil lasts for days. I really haven't kept track of refills on the tank so I can't say how many tanks I get on a coil. I guess the other thing I can't qualify is how many vapes I get on a tank. Could you be condensing the time by chain vaping? Could the 70/30 be a little thick? Those coils are dinky. Could it be the sweetener? To all of the above, I simply have no idea. Those are the only three things I can think of. It is truly an amazing scenario you have going. I will be interested in seeing if you find a resolve.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. N2rock

Jan 29, 2011
    Sugar Land, TX
    Well, I can confirm the bell gets very hot.

So I guess I'm going too hot. Here's the thing though. The same juice on my carto tank gives good flavor at 8w. When I switched to the N2, I couldn’t even taste it at 8w and it was flooding non-stop. So I watched YouTube videos that said this floods if the W is too low. So I bumped the W's up until it reached a point where it stopped flooding.

• Like Like x 2
  9. r77r7r

r77r7r ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Not that I knowalot, but I'd think jacking the watts might help a bit of gurgling not so much flooding. Thats sound more like a lack of proper vacuum due to a bad seal or loose connection.

Should be able to run a 1.8 @ 8w easily.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Topwater Elvis

Topwater Elvis Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    Texas
    A carto tank and nautilus are two completely different delivery devices, you will likely have to adjust your vaping style to get a satisfactory vape from the N2.
    I know because I too was a die hard carto tank user.

The N2 flooding was most likely caused by too restrictive airflow which pulls more liquid into the head than can be vaporized. After a few hits it builds up & has no other place to go but leak, gurgle or give a sputtery wet vape / flood.
    Raising the power will do nothing to fix the flood because you will have to increase power to a point over that in which the best flavor will be found trying to vaporize the excess liquid. When the excess liquid finally does clear you will be at a power level that will scorch the wicking material that is now saturated with a normal amount of liquid. And the tail chasing continues. Scorched wicking that will not wick properly & little to no flavor.

I suggest thoroughly priming a new 1.8Ω head, start about 9w increase over at least the first half tank in small increments up to 10w. Set the airflow to wide open or one setting tighter than wide open.
    You should see bubbles rise from the wicking holes occasionally.
    After at least vaping half tank, increase power in small increments like .2w - .5w until you find what you're looking for in vape quality. If you get a dryish or funky hit turn it down.
    If you get to 14w again without finding your sweet spot, try different pg/vg ratio liquids or different liquids altogether.
    IMO, 50/50 or 40pg/60vg will wick much better in a nautilus bvc head & pg carries flavor much better than vg.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. N2rock

Jan 29, 2011
    Sugar Land, TX
    Thanks! You pretty much nailed it with my tail wagging. Unfortunately there are no lower VG in the stores around here, and very few online stores sell lower too. Man I miss the old days of 70pg juices! But yeah, I have ordered some higher PG, so just waiting to come in. In the meantime I am running lower watts and more open holes. But the airy vape is hard to accept after so many years of carto tanks (I’m sure you understand that).

I feel like I'm the last person in the world to move away from carto tank, and learn a new way to vape. But I know I'm not the last, my wife is LOL She is making me figure all this out before she will switch. LOL

• Like Like x 1
  12. redeuce

Jul 11, 2017
    Chicago suburbs
    You’re a perfect candidate for the Innokin Endura T22 tank. $10-11 at My Freedom Smokes. Coils are dirt cheap at Fast Tech.

There’s a group of us here that started with the Innokin Endura T22 full kit. Great device.Tight draw, perfectly replicates smoking: Some of us have moved on to adjustable wattage mods, but still use the tanks. The only drawback of the mod was it was fixed at 13 watts. I am now vaping at 8-9 watts. I still keep the 13 Watt Endura in the rotation, just don’t use it all the time.

Anyway, back to the tank. Built like a truck. 4.5 ml. No leaks. Easy top fill. Huge 1.5 ohm coil that serves as the chimney for the tank. Coils Last a month and you can wash them and reuse. You can hook a vacuum cleaner to the drip tip and never get a dry hit.

Unfortunately your chain vaping sounds like it’s too much for the N2. It will also be too much for the Kabuki clone. The Kabuki won’t get hot as fast as the N2, but the tank will stay hot longer.

This afternoon I tried an experiment. Chain vaped a Kabuki with 1.8 ohm coil on a Zelos set at 9 watts. After 15 minutes it was so hot it was transferring heat down to the Zelos.

Check out T22.

• Like Like x 2
  13. redeuce

Jul 11, 2017
    Chicago suburbs
    • Like Like x 1
  14. N2rock

Jan 29, 2011
    Sugar Land, TX
    Well damn, that sounds perfect! Gonna place an order.

Thanks!

• Like Like x 2
  15. redeuce

Jul 11, 2017
    Chicago suburbs
    There is no air flow adjustment on it, but if you look at the photos, it has air slots on the bottom of the tank. The drip tip is even the size of a cigarette. I have 2 of those tanks in rotation with 2 Kabuki and 2 N2.

The N2 and Kabuki with a 1.8 isn’t really meant for chain vaping.

Another thing to do when you get a few tanks is rotate them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. r77r7r

Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    That does sound like a good idea. If you still need a tighter draw on your new tank, they probably still sell Air Flow Controllers somewhere. Like they used to use on Clearos way back when. They only work on bottom airflow tanks I imagine. I have one if you need.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. N2rock

Jan 29, 2011
    Sugar Land, TX
    I really don’t think these coils are good for me.

My tobacco/pistachio has zero flavor below 12w on this coil. So I tried the 0.8 ohm coil. It needed 16w for a decent vape. Got about 24hr and dry hit.

So I switched to my tobacco/butterscotch. It gave good flavor at 10w, so was hopeful that it would save the coil. Nope. Less than 24hrs and it was dry hitting. It’s like these coils can’t handle going above 8w, but they are so weak that my juices require higher watts to get flavor. At least the carto tanks can have flavor at 8w

• Like Like x 1
  18. r77r7r

Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Yeah, many are missing out the awesome flavor from a carto totally wrapped fiber around the coil thingy. I only vape unflavored so it was easy to move away. Me needed more A/F.

• Like Like x 1
  19. N2rock

Jan 29, 2011
    Sugar Land, TX
    Just wanted to follow up.

The Kabuki clone you referred me to has been great! I simply love this tank and have been using it non-stop. I love this tank, except for the fact that it's bottom fill. But that's a minor issue, with an otherwise perfect tank for me. Thanks for pointing me to this.

Thanks for the heads up on the T22. It wasn't a good match for me. BUT... my wife loves it. She has vaped it non-stop since I bought it. The T22 tank finally got my wife off the carto tanks. It's just so similar to carto tanks, that it was an easy transition for her.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Glad it's working out @N2rock ! I don't much mind the bottom fill on the Kabuki, it's a easy fill if you keep the O-rings juiced up, and glad that you like it! :)

Anna

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.