Heres a couple interesing studies for you all to read (very long read)

Status
Not open for further replies.

IanK1968

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2011
Toronto Canada
www.mapleleafvapes.com
[h=1]Mechanism of nicotine's learning effects explored[/h] While nicotine is highly addictive, researchers have also shown the drug to enhance learning and memory—a property that has launched efforts to develop nicotine-like drugs to treat cognitive deficits in Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s diseases, schizophrenia, and attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder.
A key problem in designing such drugs has been that little was known about the detailed mechanism by which nicotine exerts its learning-enhancing effects.
Now, researchers have discovered important details of how nicotine adjusts the signaling properties of neuronal wiring to enhance memory. Such signaling properties include the strength of the connections by which one neuron triggers another. Huibert Mansvelder and colleagues reported their findings in the April 5, 2007, issue of the journal Neuron, published by Cell Press.
The researchers made their discoveries by analyzing the electrophysiological properties of neurons in slices of mouse brain, as they treated the slices with nicotine or with drugs that prevent nicotine’s action. Specifically, the researchers studied the neurons of the prefrontal cortex, which contain centers for learning and memory.
Researchers had known that nicotine enhances learning by activating receptors for the neurotransmitter acetylcholine. Such neurotransmitters are the chemical signals that one neuron launches at another to trigger a nerve impulse in the receiving neuron.
In their studies, Mansvelder and colleagues found that by activating acetylcholine receptors, nicotine affects a process called “spike-timing-dependent potentiation” that governs changes in strength of signaling connections among neurons. What’s more, the researchers traced this effect to nicotine’s action on specific kinds of neurons, called GABAergic neurons, in the learning centers. In turn, the effects on GABAergic neurons affected signaling between neurons mediated by the key substance calcium.
The researchers also discovered key details of the mechanisms by which nicotine excites different kinds of “interneurons” in the prefrontal cortex. Interneurons are the way-stations for neuronal impulses, passing neuronal signals from one neuron to another.

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Nicotine Patches May Improve Memory In Seniors[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] The nicotine patches that help smokers quit the habit might also boost the recall of seniors with the mildest form of memory loss, according to results of a preliminary clinical trial conducted at Duke University Medical Center. While nicotine itself has not been approved for long-term use, the research could point the way toward other nicotine-like drugs that might improve memory without the side effects of nicotine, according to the Duke researchers. [/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] Previous research conducted by the Duke team and others has found evidence that nicotine might benefit people with a variety of disorders - including schizophrenia, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and Alzheimer's disease. However, the latest study is the first to examine the drug's effects on people with age-associated memory impairment (AAMI), a common condition among older people characterized by so-called "senior moments." [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] In a small sample of seniors, the researchers found that four weeks of nicotine treatment halved decision times on a standardized test of memory and increased participants' ability to focus their attention - a skill critical for learning and memory. While receiving nicotine, seniors' assessments of their own memories also showed a small but significant improvement. [/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]"In folks with relatively minor changes in their memory and thinking, there was some improvement with nicotine skin patches in the areas of attention and their general perception of their own memory," said Duke geriatrician Heidi White, M.D. "We hope that will translate into treatments that allow people to actually function better in their daily lives." [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] White and nicotine researcher Edward Levin, Ph.D., also at Duke, report their findings in a forthcoming issue of the journal Psychopharmacology. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] The researchers emphasize that, despite the possible benefits of nicotine, the results should not encourage smoking. They also caution that nicotine patches have associated health risks - including nausea, dizziness, and increases in blood pressure and heart rate - and have not been approved for long-term use. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] "While the results are encouraging, seniors should not try nicotine skin patches until larger studies testing the efficacy and safety of their use have been conducted," Levin said. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] The researchers reported that participants' perceptions of their own memories were significantly improved after four weeks on the nicotine patch compared to the placebo patch, with more seniors receiving the drug reporting a small improvement in memory. While on the placebo patch, seniors on average reported no memory change. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] The four-week nicotine patch treatment also cut seniors' decision times from approximately 200 milliseconds to less than 100 milliseconds and significantly improved the consistency of participants' performance on tests of reaction time, an indication that nicotine heightened attention in individuals with AAMI. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] Participants reported only mild side effects of the patch treatments including skin irritation and nausea. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] Nicotine's activity in the brain stems from its ability to mimic the natural chemical acetylcholine, a nerve signal that plays a role in learning and memory among other functions, said Levin. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] "Although nicotine isn't naturally present in the body, the receptors that respond to it are," he said. "The results of this study suggest that when used appropriately and under the right conditions, nicotine may alleviate the symptoms of mild forms of memory loss. In addition, such treatment may even attenuate the decline in memory function as people age."

[/FONT][/FONT]In other studies, another doctoral student, Karem Al-Zoubi, and his colleagues have found that nicotine may improve some of the learning and memory problems associated with hypothyroidism, a common disorder in which the thyroid gland makes inadequate amounts of thyroid hormones. These findings add to the understanding of the mechanism by which nicotine repairs damaged brain function, and may one day help scientists design new, safe therapeutic agents for hypothyroidism and other conditions that cause brain impairments

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]
[/FONT][/FONT]

chagrin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 29, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Fascinating. I know at least the latter of these studies have been floating around for a year or two, but I don't remember the first. While I might disagree with animal testing, the examination of the mouse's brain is fascinating. I personally can feel the effects of nicotine on my brain, though nicotine has never made me feel like it was enhancing my capacity for learning or memory. :)

It would be interesting if there were further research into long term effects.

IanK1968

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2011
Toronto Canada
www.mapleleafvapes.com
From what I read the short term trials they did where so encouraging they want to do long term human studies, but again need funding. You and I both know Big Pharma wont fund this unless they can make a profit. If they can find a way to exploit people out of their hard earned money the study will be forth coming. From all the nicotine patches, gums, pills, ect.. I do see Big Pharma being interested in further studying this, but I havent read anything to that fact yet. Duke may also get funding from other resources to further the study. Ive smoked for 30 years and vapes for 1.5 years so I cant see long term effects being grave or even a major concern. This just adds more fire to the vaping fight. You want more proof HC and FDA, there it is. Duke University. HC and the FDA are losing with each new study.

martinc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2011
Montreal,Quebec,Canada
From what I read the short term trials they did where so encouraging they want to do long term human studies, but again need funding. You and I both know Big Pharma wont fund this unless they can make a profit. If they can find a way to exploit people out of their hard earned money the study will be forth coming. From all the nicotine patches, gums, pills, ect.. I do see Big Pharma being interested in further studying this, but I havent read anything to that fact yet. Duke may also get funding from other resources to further the study. Ive smoked for 30 years and vapes for 1.5 years so I cant see long term effects being grave or even a major concern. This just adds more fire to the vaping fight. You want more proof HC and FDA, there it is. Duke University. HC and the FDA are losing with each new study.

I think analog manufs should dive head-on in those things,give a bit back for what they've taken all those years...with humonguous potential profits in the horizon

Mindfield

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
Toronto, ON
Goes to show that a lot of cures are and have always been in the nature that surrounds us...just need to find them and in certain cases,manipulate them a bit (safely though)

That's not surprising. Many of the drugs we use on the shelves come straight from nature. Acetylsalicylic acid (ASA, or Aspirin to you and me) is derived from willow bark and used to be consumed in a willow bark tea. We consume prescribed opiates for stronger pain relief, which are derived from the opium poppy. Lithium salts (derived from the elemental and otherwise poisonous metal) can be prescribed to treat depression or ADD. Nature is full of awesome stuff, and nicotine is just one -- it just happens to have the unfortunate side effect of being addictive.

But I'm glad to hear that more proper clinical research is being done to find the good in such a demonized drug. It won't change perceptions overnight, but given time maybe people will start to see a clear separation between nicotine as a useful drug and the cigarettes it has been guilty by association with.

Thanks for posting, Ian. Stuff like this really needs to be brought to light if we are to fight the stigma heaped upon us by the ANTZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread