Not open for further replies.

Mazinny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
NY
Taste is a personal opinion.

What helps me is writing a note or two about the flavor. I have run out and had to substitute. Sometimes just accepting that my recipe won't be the same, but hopefully good.

Writing notes is very important when multiple brands have a version. Take "cream", at least knowing the difference from to another helps.

This recipe needs a cream, but which will work best?

Which strawberry? Which custard?

Notes are good.

Good luck!
Thanks for the tips :)

Mazinny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
NY
I could not find any direct answers to this it the ECF forum rules. However the following suggestions have served me well during my time here:
  • DON'T EVER try to pass someone else's recipe off as your own creation. This act WILL get you in trouble with the administration if someone complains.
  • If someone has asked that their recipe(s) not be shared, or not shared outside of a specified environment; be respectful and honor their request. Don't do it. Besides it just being good manners; this too can get you unwanted attention from the administration.
  • DO try to give credit where it is due whenever possible. A user name, a link to the original posting (when it meets ECF standards), and/or the name of the original thread, are all a good idea.
  • If you just don't know, or can't remember (it has happened to most of us at one time or another), say so. "This is not my recipe and I don't remember where I got it" goes a long way towards honest transparency.
  • Don't trash someone else's work. It is fine to say "I tried it and don't care for it" but don't say "this bozo doesn't have a clue what they are doing! It tastes like the south end of a north-bound cow!!" If you have helpful, constructive criticism; be polite, and be specific. "I tried it and found it to be too sour. So I add X% of TFA sweetener and it was much better for me." It explains what didn't work for you and how you found a way to fix it.
  • DO post recipes including: Recipe Name, Flavor Name AND manufacturer, and author/contributor whenever known.
  • DO use percents for flavor concentrates whenever possible (except for nicotine). This allows readers to convert to mL, mg, or drops as they prefer, and adapt to any batch size.
  • If you are including nicotine amounts; always discuss as "milligrams per milliliter" (mg/mL) and never as a percentage. It is amazing how many people do not convert this correctly... not a judgement; just a fact.
These "best practices" has served me well here on ECF; as well as other sites. I hope you find them useful as well.

If I have forgotten anything, or if anyone takes issue with any of the above, feel free to share your own thoughts. As I have already said; these are not ECF "Rules," only what has worked for me. :)
Thanks for taking the time :) I will be sure to follow your suggestions when i share someone's recipe i enjoyed, or if i ever pleased enough with one of my own mixes, to share.

Mazinny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
NY
First off , in all the years i have been on DIY forums i have NEVER , not a single time heard a single person say FA flavorings are weak & tasteless . FA has always had a stellar reputation for being more potent than most and their flavorings have always been very highly regarded .

Read reviews on sites like Bull City flavorings and you would be convinced FA are perceived by many as the standard by which all other flavorings are judged, (not what i think) but to many they are.

There will always be people who don't care for them but to say they are weak & tasteless is absurd .

That comment to me is like saying a Ferrari is ugly and slow , you may hate Ferrari's but spare me the ridiculousness of saying they are ugly and slow which is as ridiculous as saying FA flavorings are tasteless and weak.

Now you were wondering how to decide with all the choices , this is what i have always done :

I do most of my shopping at Bull City Flavors , the customer feedback is excellent and i rely on it to guide me in to choosing the flavorings that get the most positive reviews and i have not been disappointed.

I have never just taken chances with flavorings , i know what flavors and recipe types i like and will make the most of and i target those types of flavorings.

I think most start out slow and over time build their collections of flavorings up.

I always buy 10 ml sizes before i buy larger sizes and if i really like the flavoring i will buy larger sizes in the future . Everyone ends up with a few dud's that they don't particularly care for , part of the process.

If you have to buy 10 different Blueberry flavorings before you find the right one something is very wrong , read reviews for the different Blueberry choices and it will come to you , i would also Google best Blueberry e juice flavorings .

Hope this helps
Thanks for the tips. Bull City is actually where i ordered from, and yes i only ordered in 10 ml sizes. I forgot to order any equipment though, which is a blessing in disguise, now that i have decided to order a scale instead of a bunch of syringes and pipettes and cylinders and stuff !

Mazinny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
NY
HIC posts various tidbits of info on several sites as well as reviews on flavors and how he arrived at the right mix and percentage. I'm impressed by his ability to detect various nuances in flavors.

I'm a recipe copier. If I make changes it's usually in hope of tailoring it to my personal preference. One of HIC's strengths is based on mixing the same flavor combos at multiple percentages to find the one that produces the best result. It's time consuming, but effective. There's a lot to be learned from HIC's published reviews and experiments.
That's actually one of the main reasons i ordered mostly FA. I did come across his "Notes on" when i was doing research, and i thought it would be extremely helpful. I haven't seen anyone else do such a comprehensive overview of any vendors entire line with percentage suggestions and mixing and flavor pairing suggestions etc...

Mazinny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
NY
@Mazinny I think it depends on what you want from your vaping experience.

If you equate it to eating; some people simply see food as fuel... a peanut butter sandwich sustains them and they are satisfied with that. On the other end of the spectrum is the "gourmand" who has 37 different truffles, that cost more than the house he keeps them in, and hasn't made a home-cooked meal that cost less than $35 (for one!) in the last 20 years. then there are countless numbers of us that fall somewhere in between.

Just as with food; taste is still highly personal and subjective when DIYing. Opinions are all over the map and no one is wrong... for their own palate.

There is going to be a fair amount of trial and error to start. I just can't see any way around it. @Frenchfry1942 gave you some good advise about taking good notes for future reference. I would add to that to suggest you also make sure to record author/poster names with all recipes you try or flavor recommendations you pursue.

Finding a good flavor, or a good recipe, is wonderful. But, if you can find 2, or 4, or even more people, who share a similar palate to your own... THAT can really help to shorten your learning curve! Likewise, learning to identify those who share nothing in common with your taste buds, will help to minimize the number of flops.

Names are a minimum in my own notes; and URL links are even better. That way I can find it again, search for other suggestions, give a "thank you," or even offer suggestions/substitutes/and alternatives. It also lets me give proper credit to the rightful person if I choose to share it with others.

That is what has helped me; I hope it might be some help to you. :)
Very helpful, thank you ! What i'm hoping is to find seven or eight recipes that could become staples in my rotation and i have a few flavor profiles in mind. Once i find them, i don't plan to keep on experimenting forever. Well, that's the current plan anyway :)

I'm also hoping to replicate a Peach, Apricot, Light cream liquid from a vendor i used to buy from now that i have moved to WA state ( they don't deliver there ), maybe tweaking it a little to my taste.

Reactions: IDJoel

herb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
Northern NJ native , Coastal NC now.
That's actually one of the main reasons i ordered mostly FA. I did come across his "Notes on" when i was doing research, and i thought it would be extremely helpful. I haven't seen anyone else do such a comprehensive overview of any vendors entire line with percentage suggestions and mixing and flavor pairing suggestions etc...

Yeah , i think HIC's notes are a first on an entire flavor line of flavorings and they have also helped me to decide what to buy .

When i first started the DIY thing most recommended FA so i bought quite a bit in the small sizes , i have a lot sitting that i haven't touched in years , mostly FA tobacco's .

Not a fan of most of them , i like Hangsen a lot more , i have more TFA flavorings than any other actually , then Capella's and FA & then Inawera ,LorAnn & FW .

Inawera has a few "must buys" , the first is Shisha Strawberry, Creme Brulee and Biscuit . Many love Cactus and Shisha Vanilla as well.

Reactions: IDJoel

Mazinny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
NY
Yeah , i think HIC's notes are a first on an entire flavor line of flavorings and they have also helped me to decide what to buy .

When i first started the DIY thing most recommended FA so i bought quite a bit in the small sizes , i have a lot sitting that i haven't touched in years , mostly FA tobacco's .

Not a fan of most of them , i like Hangsen a lot more , i have more TFA flavorings than any other actually , then Capella's and FA & then Inawera ,LorAnn & FW .

Inawera has a few "must buys" , the first is Shisha Strawberry, Creme Brulee and Biscuit . Many love Cactus and Shisha Vanilla as well.
I actually ordered the Cactus from Inawera, just because i was intrigued. I ordered a few from TFA as well, but nothing from the other vendors you mentioned. I'm not really into strawberry and creme brulee. I have Cookie from Fa scheduled to arrive, but i will keep biscuit in mind for my next order.

I hear good things about Hangsen tobacco and i enjoyed their RY6 i think it was back in the day, but i have enough extracts and ready made NETs for a good couple of years, so no tobacco flavoring orders in my immediate future.

herb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
I actually ordered the Cactus from Inawera, just because i was intrigued. I ordered a few from TFA as well, but nothing from the other vendors you mentioned. I'm not really into strawberry and creme brulee. I have Cookie from Fa scheduled to arrive, but i will keep biscuit in mind for my next order.

I have Cactus , just don't know what to do with it lol . Probably water my Cactus plant .

Mazinny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
NY
Quick question re nicotine.

I have about 1 L of Wizard Labs nicotine ( from 2014 ) already diluted to my preferred 12mg/ml. I use it to mix with my NET extracts. It is a tiny but peppery, but that works well with tobacco.

Is it alright to use with FA flavors, or do you guys recommend i order a different nicotine. If yes, what do you recommend. I hear Vaperstek and Nude Nicotine are rated highly. Worth the extra cost ?

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
FA. I did come across his "Notes on" when i was doing research, and i thought it would be extremely helpful. I haven't seen anyone else do such a comprehensive overview of any vendors entire line with percentage suggestions and mixing and flavor pairing suggestions etc...
Just an FYI: You might want to take a look at Wayne's (Diy or Die site) Flavor Book. It is available only through his subscription service, which I have not used, and so I am ignorant as to the completeness/usefulness. But, if it is as he describes, it may be similar (in detail of description) to HIC's, but in a multi-manufacturer platform.
What i'm hoping is to find seven or eight recipes that could become staples in my rotation and i have a few flavor profiles in mind. Once i find them, i don't plan to keep on experimenting forever. Well, that's the current plan anyway :)
Sounds like a solid plan; start small, and see where it takes you. :D
Here is something that might be helpful .
Nice tip! I wasn't aware of that one; Thank You!! :thumbs:
I have about 1 L of Wizard Labs nicotine ( from 2014 ) already diluted to my preferred 12mg/ml. I use it to mix with my NET extracts. It is a tiny but peppery, but that works well with tobacco.

Is it alright to use with FA flavors, or do you guys recommend i order a different nicotine.
WL nic is what I started DIYing with and had no issues with non-tobacco recipes. But I think it is really going to depend on your own preference. I would say to try it first since you already have it. If you find the "pepper" too distracting then search out something smoother. That is how I would go about it.:)

LeeLee26

ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2016
Hatfield , Kentucky
Thank you so much for directing me to ELR ( took me a while to figure out what it is btw ! ) and those specific users recipes. That led me to [ENYAWREKLAW] website and i watched a few of his youtube videos as well. Very very helpful for someone just starting out, but now i have to buy a scale !!!
I got 2 needles a one ml an 5 ml with blunt tips. That is all I have needed

LeeLee26

ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2016
Hatfield , Kentucky
I tried the Hic recipes. Not my cup of tea. He/she uses old school clearomizers. The key with Flavourart is to know your flavoring. Flavorah flavoring are better than FA.
Just a FYI to those who want to venture to the other place. It is insecure and your personal info can be stolen.
I love the old school clearos too. An I did double the flavors

Mazinny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
NY
Here is something that might be helpful .

index/flavor_reviews - DIY_eJuice
Been reading some of these reviews. Almost all of the reviewers vape at a much higher wattage than i do. I vape 12-15 watts. All the flavors reviewed were tested at 45-75 watts. I also assume they all DL and i'm not even able to DL if i tried !!

Any thoughts would be welcome. Especially from those who have vaped both styles for a good period of time.

herb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
Been reading some of these reviews. Almost all of the reviewers vape at a much higher wattage than i do. I vape 12-15 watts. All the flavors reviewed were tested at 45-75 watts. I also assume they all DL and i'm not even able to DL if i tried !!

Any thoughts would be welcome. Especially from those who have vaped both styles for a good period of time.

I never paid attention to what the reviewers vape at , i also vape under 20 watts and everything is fine . I think you worry too much my friend . It's one persons opinion , it's why i prefer the reviews for each flavoring at Bull City Flavorings the best, usually there are quite a few comments.

LeeLee26

ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2016
Hatfield , Kentucky

I vape 6-8 watts. An in a cheap clearo been for over year

Capt.shay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
W. Ma. U.S.A.
I forgot to order any equipment though, which is a blessing in disguise, now that i have decided to order a scale instead of a bunch of syringes and pipettes and cylinders and stuff !

If you haven't seen it, here is a little tutorial I did on mixing by weight. Happy Mixing!
SPqDHEu.gif

Mixing By Weight: Basics 101

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread