HK Urges Public To Stop Using Electronic Cigarettes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
"Hong Kong's Department of Health Wednesday called on smokers not to use electronic cigarettes as the safety, efficacy and quality of such kind of product have to be established."

So I guess the alternative is to run a buy a pack of cigarette's that are proven to kill you--

This is nothing more then a pretext and a sham on the part of the Government to halt the lose of revenue from tobacco sales. --Sun

strayling

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2009
Seattle, USA
Another version of the story here names the two who were arrested:

"The arrested men, aged 52 and 60, were grabbed yesterday at an outlet in Apliu Street, Sham Shui Po. One is thought to be a boss in the business.

Police also seized nine types of e-cigarette along with refills and 14 boxes of unregistered and restricted drug products.

The men were released on bail and told to report back in May."

----

It also gives the real reason for the arrests:

"Advertisements for e-cigarettes have been pumped out since Financial Secretary John Tsang Chun-wah slapped a 50 percent tax on tobacco last week. "

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
"Hong Kong's Department of Health Wednesday called on smokers not to use electronic cigarettes as the safety, efficacy and quality of such kind of product have to be established."

So I guess the alternative is to run a buy a pack of cigarette's that are proven to kill you--

Sun, this one has the easy answer: Quit. Quit or die. Your choice. Anti's are very quick to say there are numerous approved methods to quit -- patches, gums, lozenges, nasal spray, inhalers. There is no "need" for an unapproved method like e-smoking. That's what you'll hear.

DC: I've used Firebreak several times. I ordered some with my weekly snus order. Problems: (1) It's way too expensive; (2) it's way too weak at about 1mg per Chiclet-sized piece, so you need a huge wad of gum in your mouth to get anything at all (forget any "kick"). After trying it twice, I vowed never to waste money on it again.

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
Sun, this one has the easy answer: Quit. Quit or die. Your choice. Anti's are very quick to say there are numerous approved methods to quit -- patches, gums, lozenges, nasal spray, inhalers. There is no "need" for an unapproved method like e-smoking. That's what you'll hear.

Bob–you know as well as I do that banning e-cigs and allowing the sale of cigarettes is a blatant Oxymoron. Only in the arena of politics, greed, and money, will anyone find the logic to ban this device for "safety" concerns and at the same time gladly accept the tax revenue from Cigarettes. Concern for citizens health?—hardly. Rather a concern for lining their pockets with revenues–That is my take on it.

Quit?--I have with the personal vaporizer. Some of us would like to live and the patch, gum, and pills simply do not work—Sun

Riffmaster

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2008
Hong Kong
E cig has been in the HK market for years, just not very popular, but with the recent 50% tax increase on tabacco products....people are starting to use it as an alternative. Its all a sham and coverup. On tv, the Health dept rep was showing a "Bling" cartridges saying after initial test, it contains about 24mg of nic ( sounds about right) which is more than a pack of cig. He is right but then he cleverly didnt mention that a bling cart could last several days ! The health dept has full jurisdiction over the sale and use of nicotine, what about no nic juice ? I like to see them arrest me for smoking PG and candy extract.........:p

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
This is not about either/or: Either deadly cigarettes or Fountain-of-Life e-cigs. The products are very different, and will not be considered one against the other, but individually.

I am distinctly NOT happy that the FDA appears headed for control over all tobacco products. Flavors are an easy first target -- ban them; nicotine will follow -- regulate that dangerous, addictive drug.

If nicotine content is regulated for strength, the joy of smoking will be over. And there is joy in tobacco use. There is joy in nicotine use.

Just remember that no hearing the FDA conducts will consider: "well, if e-cigs are banned, then smokers might return to cigarettes." That's not their concern. That's an individual choice matter. Whether you quit or not is not their concern. Frankly, health is not their concern. Drugs are their concern. And our liquid is a new drug to them.

We must deal with it. No whining. No angry outbursts. We (meaning the makers of our devices and liquid) must present evidence on why e-smoking should be allowed at all -- and be prepared for many, many compromises if acceptance can be won.

The outlook is not good. Just look around the Web at sellers proclaiming this a way to quit smoking, a way to evade smoking laws and to smoke anywhere, a safer and healthier alternative to tobacco smoke. All unproven. All an invitation to government intrusion and action.

bml

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2009
S.F. Bay Area, CA
Riffmaster, I agree this is a coverup:evil:. did you hear this on the news:
I got this from Sing Dao daily.
[FONT=新][FONT=新]「由於電子煙尼古丁含量相當高,會令人上癮,霧化後,仍會產生二手煙效果,影響他人健康。」 :shock: [/FONT][/FONT]
Translate:
"Because e-cig contains high concentration of nicotine, people will addict to it. The vapor has 2nd hand smoke effect, so it affects other people’s health." :shock:

Note: I’m not good in translation, this is the best I can do.

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
[FONT=新][FONT=新]「由於電子煙尼古丁含量相當高,會令人上癮,霧化後,仍會產生二手煙效果,影響他人健康。」 :shock: [/FONT][/FONT]
Translate:
"Because e-cig contains high concentration of nicotine, people will addict to it. The vapor has 2nd hand smoke effect, so it affects other people’s health." :shock:

Riffmaster--thanks for the translation. It points out the flaw in their argument.

On the one hand they state that the e-cig has no data to confirm that it is at all safe, --but then they argue that there is data to show that the vapor produced has a 2nd hand smoke effect that affects other people????? Well where is the data/reports/research to show that---you can not have it both ways and there is definately something wrong with this picture---Sun

lordmage

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2008
Dundalk,Maryland, USA
Riffmaster--thanks for the translation. It points out the flaw in their argument.

On the one hand they state that the e-cig has no data to confirm that it is at all safe, --but then they argue that there is data to show that the vapor produced has a 2nd hand smoke effect that affects other people????? Well where is the data/reports/research to show that---you can not have it both ways and there is definately something wrong with this picture---Sun

Here i will say this clearly the statement "2nd hand smoke effect" = it looks like a real smoke cloud= that is an effect

fenez

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2009
N.Y
It always boils down to money because if any government was really concered with anyones well being and health they would immediately ban something as harmful as cigarettes (which is never going to happen) all they are trying to do is figure out ways to make you pay more for it so they can get their cut. Smokers are just such an easy target because we are put in such a bad light. Anything that in any way that is connected to nicotein will always be scrutinized because so many people will pay whatever the price for their nicotein in which ever form it may come.

Rorschach

ECF Veteran
Jun 13, 2008
New York, NY
Translate:

Heya Riffmaster and Bml

I did indeed live in HK for a while and hold residency there. Nice to see some other Honkies on the board!

50% increase in tax? How much is that now in Hk dollars? I was so used to cigs being HK$32 ($4 US dollars).

It can't possibly be as bad as in London and New York. In Manhattan I would have to pay $10 for a pack. That's like HK$80.

And Riff, are you in HK now? Has anybody said anything to your vaping?

Riffmaster

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2008
Hong Kong
Heya Riffmaster and Bml

I did indeed live in HK for a while and hold residency there. Nice to see some other Honkies on the board!

50% increase in tax? How much is that now in Hk dollars? I was so used to cigs being HK$32 ($4 US dollars).

It can't possibly be as bad as in London and New York. In Manhattan I would have to pay $10 for a pack. That's like HK$80.

And Riff, are you in HK now? Has anybody said anything to your vaping?

Rorschach,
Yeah i live in HK, e cig is still pretty new a product in HK, most people have no idea what the hell i am sucking on until they see that big cloud of smoke. I am sooooo .........I kicked a 29 years habit cold turkey thanks to e cig, and sadly i got a few of my friends into them as well. Now we are at the wits end. I wrote an email to the health dept for information in regards to the proper channel to have e cig " Registered" Here is the reply:

Dear ANNOY,
I refer to your email dated 5 March 2009 addressed to enquiries@dh.gov.
hk .
Under the Pharmacy & Poisons Regulations, pharmaceutical products must
be registered with the Pharmacy and Poisons Board before they can be
sold, offered for sale, distributed or possessed for the purposes of
sale, distribution or other use. “Pharmaceutical product” means any
substance, or mixture of substances, used for administration to human
beings or animals for
(a) the diagnosis, treatment, mitigation, alleviation or prevention of
disease or its symptoms; or
(b) the diagnosis, treatment, mitigation, alleviation of any abnormal
physical or physiological state or its symptoms; or
(c) altering, modifying, correcting or restoring any organic function.
In deciding whether or not your product is a “pharmaceutical product”,
we take into account the composition of your product and the nature of
the claims you make in the labels, leaflets, brochures, wrappers,
advertisements and other promotional materials of the product. In
general, products carrying “medicinal” claims fall within the meaning
of pharmaceutical products and are required to be registered. Products
such as cosmetics, toiletry, or disinfectants sold without any
medicinal claims may be excluded.
Please be informed that nicotine containing electronic cigarettes are
considered as pharmaceutical products and subject to registration
requirements with the Pharmacy and Poisons Board. You may find the
guidelines on registration of pharmaceutical products on our website
(www)psdh dot gov dot hk
With respect to propylene glycol, it is not a poison listed under the
Poisons List Regulations.

Grace W Wong
for Director of Health

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Thanks for posting that official response. It's very well reasoned and leaves nothing for argument unless it's zero-nic carts (in which I personally have zero interest, as would most smokers seeking an alternative to cigarettes).

Of course, all a regulatory agency has to do is a cursory Google search to turn up outrageous and false claims of these being healthy, a way off cigarettes, etc., all which fall under the outlines presented in the Hong Kong statement.

Thanks again for getting some insight into what seemed a rather arbitrary action.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread