Status
Not open for further replies.

dc2k08

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 21, 2008
.ie
www.e-cignews.com
electronic cigarettes containing nicotine and marketed as tobacco cessation products were classified as pharmaceutical products requiring registration in Hong Kong
This seems to also confirm that if they only remove the cessation claims, they have themselves legitimacy even in the land of their origin...so I hope they do us all a favour and change the crappy booklets.

all this got me thinking though. what is stopping someone from marketing a cheap nicotine gum that does not make any cessation claims on the box but is sold for a quarter of the price over the counter at any gas station?

Last edited:

SannerSays

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 11, 2009
Arizona
www.wetyourstick.com
This seems to also confirm that if they only remove the cessation claims, they have themselves legitimacy even in the land of their origin...so I hope they do us all a favour, and change the crappy booklets.

I noticed that too. I was wondering how important the "and" in that sentence was. Later it says "The spokesman said possession or sale of an unregistered pharmaceutical product, and possession of Part I poisons without authority, were both liable on conviction to a 100,000 HK dollars (about 12,820 U.S. dollars) fine and two years' imprisonment." So is it the nicotine they are getting in trouble for, or is it the way they are marketing the nicotine?

dc2k08

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 21, 2008
.ie
www.e-cignews.com
Later it says "I was wondering how important the "and" in that sentence was. The spokesman said possession or sale of an unregistered pharmaceutical product, and possession of Part I poisons without authority, were both liable on conviction to a 100,000 HK dollars (about 12,820 U.S. dollars) fine and two years' imprisonment."

you're right. are they taking the same stance as Australia I wonder and will they still allow exports. I hate that all these reports always leave us fishing for more answers

Smo

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2009
Italy
2dma6id.jpg

Pretty much sums up my reaction to the first post and then the article. Me too would like to see a more accurate translation of the original article.

SannerSays

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 11, 2009
Arizona
www.wetyourstick.com
Pretty much sums up my reaction to the first post and then the article. Me too would like to see a more accurate translation of the original article.

Exactly! There is definitely humor to find in the beginning of the article. Then you get slapped in the face with....wait, what....that's not good at all.....

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida

SannerSays

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 11, 2009
Arizona
www.wetyourstick.com
Sanner--did your mouth drop too when you read this startiling news--Nicotine in the e-cig??? Wow what a wake up call!!!!!!! lol---Sun

Sun, I was astounded!!!! I never in my life thought that when I was ordering 18mg e-liquid....they were referring to the amount of nicotine in the liquid!!! I guess I better read about what I inhale a little closer!! LOL!!

Rorschach

ECF Veteran
Jun 13, 2008
New York, NY
can you read much Cantonese Rorschach? I was wondering if you might be able to read the original article. Sometimes they don't do such a good job in the English translations.

Unfortunately my reading in Chinese has suffered horribly in the last few years as the need hasn't really arisen. I can see if I can get someone to translate though.

As far as Hong Kong is concerned, this from the article:
The spokesman said possession or sale of an unregistered pharmaceutical product, and possession of Part I poisons without authority, were both liable on conviction to a 100,000 HK dollars (about 12,820 U.S. dollars) fine and two years' imprisonment.

Does not really concern me for e-smoking in HK proper, though maybe other places will use it as precedent.

I can't see getting convicted of esmoking in Hong Kong given that they have even higher penalties for selling and buying pirated DVDs and computer software. People still do it even though it's been banned for years. I just would not flaunt it in a police station or in a cop's face.

However, that is not to say that laws in HK don't exist. If I were found spitting or throwing a lit cigarette on the ground I would be fined. If this seems crazy it's because of SARS; an overt endangerment to public health and since the legislation HK has gotten SOO much cleaner.

But either way. Heh. there's only one way to find out right? It'll be a few months from now but next time I'm in the area I'll see what happens when I e-smoke.

*Addition*
Btw..look at my Avatar. That's me violating the law in Hong Kong.
Muahahahahhaa

Last edited:

Rorschach

ECF Veteran
Jun 13, 2008
New York, NY
I'd also like to point out that laws in HK and China are NOT the same.
We may have been reintegrated into China in '97 but the Chinese government has instituted a "one country, two systems" approach. Sometimes we call it "one country, two cisterns."

Mainland China does not interfere in the domestic affairs especially in regards to the economy for 50 years (and possibly indefinitely) while HK continues to lay the golden eggs.

So in terms of smoking, HK is stricter because it's government takes a more aggressive policy towards public health. Whereas in China, there's no such thing as a smoking section because the whole country is a smoking section.

RatInDaHat

Peace, I'm outta here
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2008
Albuquerque, NM
This seems to also confirm that if they only remove the cessation claims, they have themselves legitimacy even in the land of their origin...so I hope they do us all a favour and change the crappy booklets.

all this got me thinking though. what is stopping someone from marketing a cheap nicotine gum that does not make any cessation claims on the box but is sold for a quarter of the price over the counter at any gas station?

There is this stuff, but it is technically a tobacco product. doesn't help our case any.

Snus - Firebreak Chewing-gum

-Dusty-

dc2k08

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 21, 2008
.ie
www.e-cignews.com
rat, do you know if the ATF consider that a tobacco product. I'm just wondering if there is anything that ever prevented a company from selling nic gum minus the cessation claims at a quarter of the price. if there is something then they will use that against e-cigs too. if there isn't, then why isn't someone already doing it? Quitters are crying out for cheaper gum. it might be just that it never dawned on anyone to explore that loophole before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread