Status
Not open for further replies.

Drottwiler

Old Timer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2010
Drott's Dog House
Also for those that have requested the mods like I have posted already. I did happen to come across an awesome looking piece of Poplar today at home depot. So I am going to try to get them milled down to rough boxes tomorrow.
My bulldog just set me back $360 at the vet today so it will be a few days until I can order up the parts to finish them but rest assured I will have some more mods up soon.
I also have a wood supplier friend of my in-laws getting in touch with all his associates to gather up all their cut-offs of the exotic woods for me. So we'll have some more variety soon I hope.
But in the mean time I was pretty happy to find this board today, I think it will make some nice looking mods.

IMAG0246.jpg
IMAG0247.jpg
IMAG0248.jpg

Disregard little Mr. Bland piece of normal looking poplar in there. I don't think hes going to grow up and become a mod one day.

HG hope your pups ok.My 3 are my life. Nice piece of wood.

Hogwart

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 21, 2010
Granite Bay, CA
Lol, milling machine? That would almost be cheating... :2cool:
Monday after work I'll post a pick of what I use to make these

Those are absolutely beautiful!! You do excellent woodwork! Boy, am I jealous. You must have a milling machine to get all those parts to fit so exactly.

Hogwart

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 21, 2010
Granite Bay, CA
PM sent Drott.

Well got 8 boxes milled out.
Ops, I meant painstakingly hand carved to exact measurements down to the thousandths of an inch, so the boxes fit like a glove. I've got blisters from these wood chisels and hand planes and nearly passed out from heat exhaustion slaving away in the garage just to bring you all these beautiful low cost mods. Anyone buying this? anyone at all? No? Oh that's right someone already mentioned milling machine.

So As I said I got 8 boxes on the bench, end caps clapped and drying and will start sanding, edging, drilling drilling tomorrow.
Now I had an issue with Polyurethane versus Nic juice on a box and had to refinish it so I got a few different finishes to play with on these boxes. I've got Teak oil, Linseed oil, Danish oil, and Shellac. Also got a Carnauba/beeswax to buff the finishes out with. We'll see how they turn out and which one we'll stick with.
Here's the boxes that are underway right now.
IMAG0250.jpg

Also found a board for the next batch
IMAG0251.jpg

asnider123

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2010
The Original ModFather, USA
I recall, when I was a kid, a big stink about imported wooden bowls and cooking spoons that were treated with linseed oil. If I remember right, you should use "boiled linseed oil" because the untreated stuff gave people the runs :blush:

Guess the bottom line is: are the users gonna be licking the boxes :confused::confused:

Hogwart

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 21, 2010
Granite Bay, CA
Yup its boiled linseed oil, ill do one with it and see how it turns out. I think I'm prob going to go with the tung or danish oil. Im not really a wood worker by trade but I think with a little bit of time I'll be able to compete with any of the other woodies out there.

Also I've gotten requests to ship to Singapore. Anyone have any issues in the past shipping over seas?

asnider123

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2010
Yup its boiled linseed oil, ill do one with it and see how it turns out. I think I'm prob going to go with the tung or danish oil. Im not really a wood worker by trade but I think with a little bit of time I'll be able to compete with any of the other woodies out there.

Also I've gotten requests to ship to Singapore. Anyone have any issues in the past shipping over seas?

Good about the boiled linseed, you sure wouldn't want to give anyone ........ :)

About overseas shipments .. I used to do it, don't anymore. I sold a $200 tablet PC to a guy in New Zealand. Shipped by USPS insured with a tracking number and all that. Well .... the buyer never received it, USPS said that the insurance only covered thee item as long as it was on American soil. Even the tracking number was no good. Finally had to refund the fella. That's the last time I do that!

Of course, I understand that sometimes you can work thru a broker here in the USA, you deliver to the broker and get paid, no longer your problem. Also, you could possibly have the buyer put $$ into a Paypal or other impound account, then you get the $$ when they get the merch.

There are also import/export companies that know how to do it. You could find one in your area and get the fees involved for foreign shipments, then add the amount to your shipping charges.

I know there's a big foreign market for your product, it would be really cool if you figure out a safe way to do it!
Good luck!

Stownz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2010
Guthrie, OK

As long as they don't hold you liable for customs delay or dmg from customs digging through the package and dropping stuff. I've bought lots of stuff from china, not just e-cig but all kinds of stuff. And the packages always look like they have been kicked around in a soccer field before they get to me, haha.

Hogwart

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 21, 2010
Granite Bay, CA
I'll prob hold off on the over seas shipping for now until I get a few more made and sold. Bit broke right now, had to wait to get payment for the first two mods to be able to buy buttons for the next mods. I am upgrading the buttons to these Digi-Key - EG4722-ND (Manufacturer - PV5S64011) and with the cost of shipping that was a little higher than I thought it was going to be the next set of mods will have to go up to $85 and include shipping. I hope everyone understands.

"FlyingV
Will you finish one with the "vintage bar" look for me?"

I am going to try this finish again and hold onto it for a week after its done to test the finish against some Nic juice. The #2 I had posted had to be refinished to a tung oil buffed out right after I posted it because a drop of juice spilled on it and it didn't agree with the finish. I think it was because it didnt have the full 7 days cure time, but I want to be sure.

asnider123

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2010
Hog .. have you seen these switches? Buttons and Switches

a buck each, concave or convex (reminds me of a poem I heard once LOL) Rated at 6 amps. I bought a dozen of each, they're a little tiny bit bigger than the MV switches, but the price is right. You should maybe check them out, they are pretty nice buttons. The concave switch pushes further in than does the convex. Also, the concave has a metal body, plastic on the convex.

Hogwart

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 21, 2010
Granite Bay, CA
Yeah I did see those, I just dont see any specs on them and not sure how long they will last. I'll send GP an email about them.

Hog .. have you seen these switches? Buttons and Switches

a buck each, concave or convex (reminds me of a poem I heard once LOL) Rated at 6 amps. I bought a dozen of each, they're a little tiny bit bigger than the MV switches, but the price is right. You should maybe check them out, they are pretty nice buttons. The concave switch pushes further in than does the convex. Also, the concave has a metal body, plastic on the convex.

asnider123

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2010
While we're on the parts subject, anyone know of a good place for battery contacts for 18650 batts? Im using aa contacts but they just seem a little small to me.

If yer referring to those clip-on batt connectors like MV sells, I agree. I am going to build a mod using 18350 batts and I plan to use these connectors. Every time I make a 2-AA boxmod, I have one of these left over. I think it will work fine, dremelled into two connectors (+ and -). You can solder to them just fine. And the price is right (FREE).

Do you have a bunch of these in your parts bin? They sure come in handy!

Hogwart

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 21, 2010
Granite Bay, CA
Yup those are exactly what I'm using. I made a bunch of plastic box mods and passed um out to friends and family that smoke so I have a bunch of them. And heck for the price of contacts its cheaper just to buy a bunch off 4AA boxes off ebay just for the connectors than it is to buy them by themselves.
Was just curious if anyone had found contacts that were somewhere between AA size and C size. I think a size in between those would be perfect for 18650's.

Hogwart

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 21, 2010
Granite Bay, CA
Well it looks like the 8 boxes I had milled out turned into 5 for now. I have got to get a decent router. I managed to ruin the end caps on two boxes that I'll need to replace tomorrow, and one box got ripped out my my hands and tossed 10 feet. managed to break that one in half =(

On a brighter note there are 5 now drying with their first coats of finish. should look pretty good after several more coats.
IMAG0253.jpg

Not sure that front right one with the cool little knot is gonna make it for sale. I think I'm gonna keep that one since I'm currently using a little plastic 14500 mod as my main PV

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread