Hohmtech Slice

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjpeltz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 13, 2014
United States
Lots of complaints on the battery door. Just curious...has anyone tried contacting hohm tech or your supplier to see if this is a known problem and how they will handle it. Seems odd to just accept this as is, and complaining here won't change anything. I for one will be returning mine if the battery door is as bad as people are saying.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

hazozita

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2013
Virginia
Lots of complaints on the battery door. Just curious...has anyone tried contacting hohm tech or your supplier to see if this is a known problem and how they will handle it. Seems odd to just accept this as is, and complaining here won't change anything. I for one will be returning mine if the battery door is as bad as people are saying.

I’ve sent feedback to the vendor and the manufacturer on all the build quality issues I’ve encountered. I’ve also pointed them to this thread so they can get further insight into peoples reactions to the Slice.

I did not request a return since I don’t think it’s fair to the vendor to take a hit for a bad design. I am looking forward to see what HT plans to do about the issues.

And yes, “complaining” on ECF or other forums will have an impact – it has with other manufacturers/vendors over the years. But, even if it does not result in a change/action from the vendor, at the very least it feels good to vent!

On the plus side, I tried out SS mode for the first time on the Slice last night on my Theorem (iJoy 3.5mm notch coil, 0.15 ohms). Very nicely executed TC. Every time I want to put this down because of the crappy door I keep picking it up due to how well it works.

Tmarie77

Jun 16, 2016
I am new here, hello everyone. I got my Slice last Friday, so 1 week now. I was searching for details on which SS value to use for various tanks I have. So many manufacturers just say they use SS, but doesn’t say which SS it is (304, 316, 317, etc). I guess I could just select which one feels best on the Slice (which is what I have been doing), but I like to be techie sometimes and know exact etc. Well, sorry many seem to be not be happy with door. I see the 1/2mm wiggle, but I can’t find myself worrying about something like that. device was relatively inexpensive, and the chassis isn’t perfect, but the chip, more than makes up for it not being perfect chassis.

I haven't thought about tape on door, if that little wiggle ever bothers me, perhaps that’s a good solution.

I agree with user @hazozita this mod works wonders. As an experiment, which took me a few minutes to grasp after reading manual, I was TC’ing kanthal. I’ve tried to get my other mods to do this using TCR, but never had any luck. Hours wasted on those mods trying. Well, 3 minutes later using this device, I was actually Tc’ing kanthal. How does “bleep” does this chip do it? To me, this is a 5 star chip, in a 3.5 star chassis.

Reactions: f1vefour

2coils

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2012
New Jersey
Good discussion in regard to the Slice. I was a huge fan of the G2 (and still am). I have two G2 that I take with me everywhere.

As For the Slice.....
I am EXTREMELY frustrated with Hohm Tech for a couple of reasons. THey received a lot of feedback regarding the G2 510 pin and crooked screens. At the very least, it should have been a 100% no brainer and MUST that these issues be fixed with the release of the Slice. Sure enough, My 510 pin was crooked and almost touching the threads right out of the box, though, was an easy fix. Secondly, my Screen is just as crooked as the 2 G2's I own. THis is unacceptable. Absolutely no reason for it. China is pumping mods out left and right that have terrific 510 connectors.

I have little issue with my battery door, except when holding down multiple buttons to get in the menu screen. At that point, It is ricketey, though does not move under normal use.

Lastly, The battery life is terrible. I have only used the Hohm Grown 26650's. I have not had a chance to try any other brands yet. I expected poor battery life as I am not a fan of 26650's to begin with. I just don't personally think they perform well (my own opinion). The Battery life is worse than expected.

I will recommend the G2 over this mod every day of the week. I expected Hohm Tech to knock it out of the park with this one, it falls short on my expectations. They should have done better!!! I will post a video soon!

Reactions: AtmizrOpin

AtmizrOpin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2015
Pennsylvania
Good discussion in regard to the Slice. I was a huge fan of the G2 (and still am). I have two G2 that I take with me everywhere.

As For the Slice.....
I am EXTREMELY frustrated with Hohm Tech for a couple of reasons. THey received a lot of feedback regarding the G2 510 pin and crooked screens. At the very least, it should have been a 100% no brainer and MUST that these issues be fixed with the release of the Slice. Sure enough, My 510 pin was crooked and almost touching the threads right out of the box, though, was an easy fix. Secondly, my Screen is just as crooked as the 2 G2's I own. THis is unacceptable. Absolutely no reason for it. China is pumping mods out left and right that have terrific 510 connectors.

I have little issue with my battery door, except when holding down multiple buttons to get in the menu screen. At that point, It is ricketey, though does not move under normal use.

Lastly, The battery life is terrible. I have only used the Hohm Grown 26650's. I have not had a chance to try any other brands yet. I expected poor battery life as I am not a fan of 26650's to begin with. I just don't personally think they perform well (my own opinion). The Battery life is worse than expected.

I will recommend the G2 over this mod every day of the week. I expected Hohm Tech to knock it out of the park with this one, it falls short on my expectations. They should have done better!!! I will post a video soon!
thanks for your observations. let me ask your honest opinion, the kanthal temp control, any improvements over g2? does it just cut power off completely preventing dry hits or can you actually set it to say 450° F and get a similar style vape from a wire that has an appreciable TCR. or is it like the g2, a complete nightmare to dial in and KEEP dialed in (regardless of what FW version) and more akin to the ijoy asolo that has dry hit prevention rather than having control over the temp of your vape.

Reactions: Wingsfan0310

2coils

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2012
New Jersey
thanks for your observations. let me ask your honest opinion, the kanthal temp control, any improvements over g2? does it just cut power off completely preventing dry hits or can you actually set it to say 450° F and get a similar style vape from a wire that has an appreciable TCR. or is it like the g2, a complete nightmare to dial in and KEEP dialed in (regardless of what FW version) and more akin to the ijoy asolo that has dry hit prevention rather than having control over the temp of your vape.
Very similar to the G2. I dont see much difference, if any, regarding the boards performance. Its definitely a love hate relationship :) . I'd be surprised if the tech behind the board gets any better than it is now. Personally, I dont mind the tinkering. Once dialed in, it really is a great vape.

Reactions: AtmizrOpin

hazozita

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2013
Virginia
Cracked open my slice today. Door is definitely annoying, but my 510 pin appears ok. I did notice a poor pain job or paint chipping in the crack where the door slides in. Anyone else also see this?

I haven’t noticed any paint chipping as of yet. I did end up putting a very small piece of adhesive foam right in front of the recessed magnet on the bottom. That, combined with leaving the battery strap extended outside of the cover, has cut way down on the creaking noise when I grip the Slice. The battery door still has a wiggle to it, but at least it’s a quiet wiggle.

cjpeltz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 13, 2014
United States
What surprised me was the weight with battery. Too heavy for the size,especially when compared to the larger hohm wrecker which is lighter. It just feels cheap in the hand, and bulky even though it's smaller. It vapes great, just wish the Form factor was much different.

hazozita

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2013
Virginia
I continue to love the performance, but also continue to be disappointed in the build quality. I happened to pick up my Sigelei 90w today. Both are single 26650 mods and nearly the same size, but the Sig feels solid; the Slice feels janky. No matter what the metric – buttons, battery cover, 510, overall fit and finish – the Sig is miles better.

Granted the board in the Slice runs rings around the YiHi board in the Sig (although it’s not a bad board at all – wish Sig had stuck with Yihi instead of trying to do their own boards) but I’m so disappointed that the Slice couldn’t at least get close to the build quality of a $30 Sigelei.

mjag

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2014
United States
The vaporcube sale is live now, Hohm Wrecker G2's for $55 (refurbished) and $65 too $70 (New) here is the link:

VaporCube 4th July 2016 Sale

Too bad no sale on the Slice, me needs another.

As far as the refurbs here is the response I got from vaporcube and Hohm Tech:

The refurbished units are going to be the most pristine returns we have received. large scratches/dents should not be present.

Great sale with all the colors so act quick, I got myself a Bronzed Red to go with my Silver.....sexy :D

Reactions: jjatl
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread