Holy crap-high drain 18650 battery on ggts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mactavish

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2010
New York
So that could explain why I could tell a difference on my 510, especially if it's well seasoned?

Correct, comparing to some custom made "carlos atty" gets us no where. Apple to Apples folks, is the only way to make real world comparisons, on the same mod is also helpful, using the same brand attys, dripping, carts, etc. In the end if one is happy with the purchase, regardless of claims of others of a huge vaping difference, then I have no argument. Enjoy.

boomboom

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Correct, comparing to some custom made "carlos atty" gets us no where. Apple to Apples folks, is the only way to make real world comparisons, on the same mod is also helpful, using the same brand attys, dripping, carts, etc. In the end if one is happy with the purchase, regardless of claims of others of a huge vaping difference, then I have no argument. Enjoy.

Cheers to that. My sentiments exactly. Still, I would like to see hard data that can prove or disprove ones experiences just so I don't think I am experiencing a placebo effect.

clyde2801

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2009
In the land of no hills and red dirt

But if people are noticing a difference between the different batteri....aw, screw it. We might as well be arguing over a custom paint color without a color matching stick. But at least we'll enjoy the same battery, if only for different reasons.

Mactavish

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2010
New York
I posted the link in the original post in this thread.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/altsmoke/73528-6v-not-answer-high-drain-cells-answer.html

This is the link, and started the whole discussion. I vape a lot at 6 volts on my GGTS, and these batteries do NOT compare to 6 volt vaping at all using my GGTS and my HV attys, or using at 3.7 volts with a cartomizer. I have not tested using my 510 atty at 3.7 volts, since I am writing too much here to have time to do that. If they work better with a 510, then that is good, and a bonus. I do not own a double-barrel mode to dispute or agree with the OP, or his conclusions.

boomboom

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2009
Alberta, Canada
But if people are noticing a difference between the different batteri....aw, screw it. We might as well be arguing over a custom paint color without a color matching stick. But at least we'll enjoy the same battery, if only for different reasons.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Too much thinkin' goin' on here for me too. I gotta go have a vape. Have a great weekend guys! Hope your weather is getting nice like ours here! I'm gonna go and take a breather.

Mactavish

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2010
New York
Cheers to that. My sentiments exactly. Still, I would like to see hard data that can prove or disprove ones experiences just so I don't think I am experiencing a placebo effect.

Very funny, I think if you are experiencing a "placebo" effect, you would NOT want to know anything more! Just enjoy it, and hope you don't wake up! :)

boomboom

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Ignorance is bliss

Seriously though, an educated answer that could end this debate would be nice.

Someday.................

Attachments

• ignorance.jpg
    ignorance.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 6
  • ignorance-is-bliss.jpg
    ignorance-is-bliss.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 6
  • placebo..jpg
    placebo..jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Drozd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
NW Ohio
I agree!!!!!

But how do we find the specs for the atty's draw and all that "math" that would be involved in figuring out what the draw is on a LiON 18650 with whatever "C" rating a LiON has?

If that draw demand from the atty exceeds LiON "C" rating, then a higher "C" rating would provide a scientifically proven more intense vape.

It's over my head, but maybe someone could jump in and help here.

I'm just a cop, not a chemist/electrician/battery guru.................and, no, more donuts won't make me smarter.........tried it already:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Hey there...if you wanna do the math...formula are W(attage) = V2/ Ω (resistance)... A(mperage) = V/Ω (or use this handy online calculator: Calculations voltage current resistance and electric power - electricity calculation - electrical power general formula ohms law physics formula wheel power formulas amps watts volts ohms cosine equation audio engineering pie chart charge audio engin ...if you don't know your atty resistance you can use this chart: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/modders-forum/71422-atomizer-battery-watts-chart.html

So you can figure out your amperage draw..
...the regular AW 18650 (2600mAh) has a max discharge rate of 5.2A (I can find that but not it's C rating (should be able to work backwards though and find that it has a 2C rating)) since max discharge in Amps is mAh rating * "c" rating/1000...so it can push 2600mA in an hour or 5200mA (5.2A) in 30 min...
the high drain 18650 (1600mAh) with a 10C rating.. push 1600mA for an hour but are capable of pushing 16000mA (16A) in 6min continuous without damaging the battery

The amp draw will change based on the batteries nominal Voltage versus it's Fully charged voltage and the atty though...
All in all it's not such a big deal when using the 18650 batteries (the discharge capabilities of the regular battery will cover you)...but when you start using the smaller CR123 batteries or stacked CR123 batteries....theres a huge difference (there's been experiences of people using stacked CR123 and 510 atties that wont work because the amperage draw is tripping the overdischarge PCB in the batteries) and that doesn't happen with the high drain LiMN because their discharge rating is more than sufficient

imeothanasis

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2009
Athens, Hellas
gg-goldengreek.com
If you dont see any diference to a single atty with those batteries then you will not see in 2 atties or more atties. My opinion as I posted from the start was that there will be not a noticeable diference. But even if I am wrong to this (tecnical data that we dont know for sure), is it possible to compare this 3,7 volts vaping to 6 volts vaping?

You cant have big results with big titles like: "6v is not the answer HIGH DRAIN CELLS is the answer!!". The title of the thread is a little funny to me:lol:

But lets try to see some things:

high drain battery means that it release more current. The ohms law says that:
current =volts/resistance. So if we know the resistance of an atty and the volts that the battery produce then how the current is increased?

If current increased then yes the diference exists. Its like we smoke at 6 volts. The current at 6 volts that goes through a regular atty is 1,7A when its 1,1A at 3,7 volts.

The conclution for me is that there is no diference at all. If I miss something here I will be glad to hear it:)

Kelemvor

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2009
Germany NRW
the new chemistry should enable a high current, with less voltage drop compared to the old cells. thats all. because of that, they may deliver enough punch to fire up a both atomizers of a double barrel as much as an old cell fires a single one.

[edit] because the voltage drop under load is lower, the wattage is higher.

there is a difference, even between older cells. i have soshine 18650 protected cells that work better on the double barrel than unprotected grey ultrafires.

i am very interested in trying the LiMn AWs out, but in germany i have trouble to get some.
:(

Last edited:

imeothanasis

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2009
Athens, Hellas
gg-goldengreek.com
the new chemistry should enable a high current, with less voltage drop compared to the old cells. thats all. because of that, they may deliver enough punch to fire up a both atomizers of a double barrel as much as an old cell fires a single one.

[edit] because the voltage drop under load is lower, the wattage is higher.

there is a difference, even between older cells. i have soshine 18650 protected cells that work better on the double barrel than unprotected grey ultrafires.

i am very interested in trying the LiMn AWs out, but in germany i have trouble to get some.
:(

If you mean that they keep volts longer then yes you can see a diference but not from the start but after some time of use. I mean that if you smoke good for 3 hours with lion batteries then you can have a desent smoke for 4 hours with them. But thats it, nothing more. No better hit, no better smoke.

Mactavish

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2010
New York
I believe there are too many variables to end this very NICE debate in a single sentence.

I'm still happy as the RED "UltraFire 18650 3000 mAh 3.7v Li-ion" batteries I originally bought, don't fit my GGTS (too fat). And supposedly, the AW brand's "mAh" rating is much more accurate, so now I have a large single cell 3.7v battery that fits nicely in my GGTS. If this chemistry is safer and lasts longer, then I'll be even more happy, extra "C" and "high-drain" capacity aside.

Mactavish

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2010
New York
Just my 2 cents...

I am using my GGTS with a GGi3 Atty with a AW IMR 18650 3.7v 16mAh High Drain Battery.
It is a great vape for 3.7v.

BigBuyer, I suspect you own a few Li-Ion 3.7 volt batteries, maybe in the 18650 form? If so, do you notice any difference on the same atty? You said "great vape", looking for feedback between using both types of bats on the same mod and atty, just switching back and forth. Thanks fellow New Yorker!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread