Holy Jesus!!!!! The Kayfun should come with a warning!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL
Haven't made the leap myself yet, but is this the type of clone you're talking about?
Kayfun Lite 3.1 6.0ml Rebuildable & Replaceable Heating Coil Adjustable Airflow Vacuum Atomizer - Others - Atomizer - eGo Accessories @15USD, it seems pretty cheap.

What do you use to drive these puppies? I've only made it to the vv3 so far; wondering about jumping to a non-disposable regulated PV but don't want anything too bulky.

Happy hump day, all!

15.00 is a great price. However I wonder if it's stainless. I asked people here about good clones and EHPro and hcigar were both mentioned. 38.50 is much more than $15.00 but much less than the $115.00 a "real one" costs.

Of course, I would suggest anyone buying a real one if you have the funds. This is one amazing piece of kit. But I don't want this to turn into a clone or no clone debate.

Glenn_K

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2013
Toronto
....Did a second coil at 2.2 ohm. 3/4 wrap of 32 gauge Kanthal on some s looped 2mm ekowool. Much better wicking than my first attempt. Sore throat I think was due to some borderline dry hits. ....

Congrats on your success with the KF clone, I have an HC 3.1 , too, and am leaning towards get a SM original (probably a lite) based on how much i'm enjoying the clone.

Some e-liquids seem to have an above average throat hit to begin with, which I think becomes even more intense with a KF-style atomizer. But if you think you're getting some harshness, check out SM's manual for the KF 3.1; there's lots of useful info about doing an optimal build. If the the height of the coil (i.e. above the deck) is too high or too low, it can affect performance negatively, and the manual helped me figure this out: SvoeMesto Manuals

....The biggest drawback to Kayfun type atties is that you can't just pull the deck and re-work it without draining and disassembling. They're easy to make a good build for, but probably not the best to learn to build on. . ....

If I need to do maintenance on my KF clone, and the tank is not empty, I use my genny syringe to remove the remaining e-liquid. Still a little messy handling the chimney and deck, but it's doable.

-- Glenn

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL
Congrats on your success with the KF clone, I have an HC 3.1 , too, and am leaning towards get a SM original (probably a lite) based on how much i'm enjoying the clone.

Some e-liquids seem to have an above average throat hit to begin with, which I think becomes even more intense with a KF-style atomizer. But if you think you're getting some harshness, check out SM's manual for the KF 3.1; there's lots of useful info about doing an optimal build. If the the height of the coil (i.e. above the deck) is too high or too low, it can affect performance negatively, and the manual helped me figure this out: SvoeMesto Manuals

If I need to do maintenance on my KF clone, and the tank is not empty, I use my genny syringe to remove the remaining e-liquid. Still a little messy handling the chimney and deck, but it's doable.

-- Glenn

Thanks for this. My first build was utter crap. The wicking was all frayed and I didn't use the "S" method. I saw a video where a guy "s" shaped the wick and sized the wick loops right above the chambers. All the throat irritation disappeared. So it was definitely a "dry hit" or wicking issue.

I haven't moved to cotton or micro coils yet. Baby Steps...Baby Steps....

yotogi

Aug 13, 2013
Austin, TX, USA
I haven't moved to cotton or micro coils yet. Baby Steps...Baby Steps....

You should go ahead and dive in. IMO (and this is supported by many KLF fans, check the thread) one of the easiest and best performing build is a micro/cotton setup. Takes a little bit of practice to set up, but block out an afternoon, have plenty of 28g Kanthal and a cotton ball and get to it. Once you find your perfect setup, you will look back and wonder why you waited so long.

For me personally, it was transformative.

Last edited:

Endor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southern California

Yeah, I picked it up from them at their retail location (I happened to be driving nearby, so figured what the heck). It is more expensive in the store.

I own several other clones (EHPRO, the Fasttech 3.1ES clone, Tobeco), and the HCIGAR is by far the best of the bunch... it is really well made.

Only downside is that it came out of the packaging absolutely filthy. I had to break out the ultrasonic cleaner and alcohol to clean it well enough to vape on it.

Did a second coil at 2.2 ohm. 3/4 wrap of 32 gauge Kanthal on some s looped 2mm ekowool. Much better wicking than my first attempt. Sore throat I think was due to some borderline dry hits. Tastes great rocking 9.0 watts on my sigelei zmax v3 and my mvp.

Try a microcoil and cotton.... I'm run all of mine with a 9-wrap micocoil of 28 gauge Kanthal wrapped around a 1/16th drill bit (1.4ohm), wicked with a piece off a pre-boiled organic cotton ball. Never a dry hit, and cleaning/rewicking is crazy easy.

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL
Only downside is that it came out of the packaging absolutely filthy. I had to break out the ultrasonic cleaner and alcohol to clean it well enough to vape on it.

Yeah, I had to disassemble and boil mine for about 15 minutes before first use.

As far as Microcoils, I don't have a torch to torch them and not really interested in getting one. I tried a couple microcoils and just couldn't get them right with just a lighter.

Also I have tried some cotton builds and they are great, but I think I have a sensitivity to cotton as well.

Last edited:

jnnfrlsw

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2009
East Central Ind
Yeah, I had to disassemble and boil mine for about 15 minutes before first use.

As far as Microcoils, I don't have a torch to torch them and not really interested in getting one. I tried a couple microcoils and just couldn't get them right with just a lighter.

Also I have tried some cotton builds and they are great, but I think I have a sensitivity to cotton as well.

If you find out where to get one of the torches let us know. I tried using a lighter too and all it did was leave black soot all over my kanthal. I thought I might check Radio Shack and see if they sell the kind of torches we need??

Moodyfisherman

ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2013
City of Destiny, Wa
They will be in stock today... ;)

Yeah....I got my email last night that they will be in stock again today....tried to get online with them a 11:05 and there site was bogged down. Thought it was an omen that I did not "need" one, but tried later and got one baby....yee haw...I am excited to break that boy in when it arrives..:toast:

suspectK

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
Alabummer
p.opus:12292472 said:
I use my mod to get coil hot for full compression, but I've wrapped some perfect micro coils with out having to get some *pliers*.. unless I'm doing a vertical build.. sometimes I can compress a vertical without warping it while it's on atomizer.. not alwaysy

Edit-*

Last edited:

dice57

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Mount Vernon, Wa
Now you understand why we say the PT offers mediocre muted flavor vape. Not get your builds up to steam and push it past 20 watts and see what a kayfun style rba can really do. lmao. But oh, you can rebuild a pt and really make it vape!! yeah, whatever, sure you can, I won't, cause I PIF'd them all away.

Welcome to the Wide World of R,B,A's brought to you by Mutual of Ohm... Never mind. lol

joecil

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2014
Russell Springs, Kentucky
I now have two Kayfun Lite Plus clones one by Tobeco and the other from Hcigar. I've also picked up a Nano conversion for them, the solid plastic tank setups including a conversion to the 3.1 sizes. Both of mine have the air control setups and work great. One is used on my Nemesis as well as my IGO W dripper and the other shares duty with my Lambo and Vamo with the Aspire's clearomizers I have.

Thunderball

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2013
Grayson, Georgia
has anyone tried the fast tech version for $21.54? I have a authentic kayfun lite + and i love that thing, but I don't want to spend another $100. After reading this thread it seems like the clones are worth the money.

The fasttech version in my opinion is better than the original, which I have as well. What makes it better (to me) is that the air draw is better as in more air is allowed to come in giving you a better vape. The fasttech version is also a better fit and finish than the Hcigar and Tobecco.

I am talking about the fasttech 3.1 and not the light.

I dont know who makes it but its not Hcigar and not Tobecco.

Ive not bought the Light + version at FT, only the full size 3.1.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread