Status
Not open for further replies.

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
What is the difference between a cartomizer, clearomizer, and a tank system.

Ok, carto/clearo vs tank I get but everything else?

The tank is really just the size of the container - which is why you will see cartomizer tanks and clearomizer tanks. Despite the people who try to argue otherwise that is really it.

So - a cartomizer is an atomizer and filler to hold juice combined. A cartomizer tank is a cartomizer inside a tank. The cartomizer has holes in it and the juice from the tank seeps into the holes.

A clearomizer has an atomizer too (a coil) and has wicks that soak the juice up to the coil. Larger clearomizers - like 3.5ml or so, get called tanks also because of their size.

In the pic below I am using a vivi nova tank - which is a clearomizer tank:

Last edited:

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
A clearo is a tank system clearo is a generic descriptive term. A clear usually plastic tank that uses silica wicks. A cartomizer can be used buy its self or with a tank for extended use between filling.

Pretty much, although I wouldn't class the nanos as tanks even though they are clearomizers. They sometimes get classed as cartomizers on vendor sites just to confuse things.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
A cartomizer is a metal tube filled with batting/filler material, wrapped around a heat coil. The filler material is saturated with liquid, which is vaporized by the heat of the coil. A carto tank is a liquid filled tank with a carto inside that has a hole(s) punched into it allowing the liquid to be wicked into the batting/filler, so you don't have keep filling the carto up.

320px-Cartomizer.jpg
cartomiseurs-dc-2-5-ohms-liquinator-.jpg
(the hole is so it can be used in a tank)

Carto Tank

atomizer-catomizer-with-tank-3.jpg

Clearomizers are technically a type of "tank," in that they hold a reservoir of liquid. Some, like CE4s (Stardusts) and Vivi Novas have a coil on the top and string wicks draw liquid up to the coil. Bottom coil clearos, like EVODS, Protanks and CE3s, have a coil at the bottom. BCCs have wicks too, but they are tiny and at the base. Some clearos have replaceable "heads" (coils), some don't.
clear-_3.jpg

high-quality-vivi-nova-mini-atomizer-with-larger-volume.jpg

clearomizer-cc-mt3.jpg

Last edited:

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
Some solid work there, Ocelot.

I only take exception to the display of the Vivi Nova, which is dreadful (in my experience).

Despite this, good form, I still give it two thumbs up.

View attachment 220806

I'm honored by your approval my Liege. I'm not a Vivi Nova fan either, but I thought the picture illustrated the idea well.

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
Some solid work there, Ocelot.

I only take exception to the display of the Vivi Nova, which is dreadful (in my experience).

Despite this, good form, I still give it two thumbs up.

Waddarya -
roflmao.gif
Love the vivis. They haven't let me down yet. Good flavor, easy to clean.

Now about them fiddly, flooding carto tanks....

Last edited:

double_aa_ron

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2012
Austin, Texas
Waddarya -
roflmao.gif
Love the vivis. They haven't let me down yet. Good flavor, easy to clean.

Now about them fiddly, flooding carto tanks....

If you know how to properly set up a carto tank they are much more consistent and LESS fiddly than any clearo. No leaking. No dry hits. No gurgling. No tipping. Did I say o leaking?

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
If you know how to properly set up a carto tank they are much more consistent and LESS fiddly than any clearo. No leaking. No dry hits. No gurgling. No tipping. Did I say o leaking?

Yeah yeah, the debate's been had a thousand times. No-one responded for a day, then I help the OP out, and next thing we get silly vivi bashing. Either is fine - use whatever you prefer.

Last edited:

Johnnie Price

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2012
Waldorf, MD
There's also atomizer tanks, which are no longer in favor around here. They were similar to the original setup, using a separate atomizer and a tank to hold the liquid. The eGo-C, 901-T, 510-T, ect fall into this category.

And then of course you have the RBA and RDA tanks, but that's another story.

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
There's also atomizer tanks, which are no longer in favor around here. They were similar to the original setup, using a separate atomizer and a tank to hold the liquid. The eGo-C, 901-T, 510-T, ect fall into this category.

And then of course you have the RBA and RDA tanks, but that's another story.

On atomizer tanks - the AMP tank is being used by some people. Looks interesting and I'd like one. Commonly used are the clearomizers and carto tanks tho.

Johnnie Price

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2012
Waldorf, MD
On atomizer tanks - the AMP tank is being used by some people. Looks interesting and I'd like one. Commonly used are the clearomizers and carto tanks tho.
Not exactly what I was thinking of, but that works too.

I've read from a couple of people that all you need for an atomizer tank to work is a 510 extender and a DCT. Haven't tried it myself, but it works for the Terminator and Killer 705 so the same should hold true for a standard 510 atty. Much cheaper too. ;)

double_aa_ron

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2012
Austin, Texas
Yeah yeah, the debate's been had a thousand times. No-one responded for a day, then I help the OP out, and next thing we get silly vivi bashing. Either is fine - use whatever you prefer.

Not bashing. I used vivi's for the first few months of vaping. They are super easy to use, give you good flavor, and for the most part work well. Clearos are the best choice for the new vaper. When I put together a kit for someone that has never vaped I always suggest a vivi or a bcc. I stopped using them because they aren't the most consistent devices out there. The gurgling and dry hits drove me crazy.

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
Not bashing. I used vivi's for the first few months of vaping. They are super easy to use, give you good flavor, and for the most part work well. Clearos are the best choice for the new vaper. When I put together a kit for someone that has never vaped I always suggest a vivi or a bcc. I stopped using them because they aren't the most consistent devices out there. The gurgling and dry hits drove me crazy.

I've never had gurgling or dry hits - different strokes I guess. I've always used Vision and they've always been good. Been using them for months on end. Cartos are ok too - I prefer kanger cartos myself.

Heavyrocker

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2012
Toronto,Canada
They are all tanks too me,its just the cartomizer tanks have hidden polyfiller inside a tube within the tank AND the atomizer uses a wick in the tank you can see.

Cartomizer guts,minus polyfiller:

Dual coil 2.jpg
Dual coil cartomizer minus tank:

smoktech-dual-coil-cartomizer-1.5-ohm-.jpg

Atomizer Tank System:

vivi-nova-cartomizer-tank-for-3ml-1352477285-1.jpg

Attachments

• ego-electronic-e-cigarette-submarine-carto-tank-hong5005-1303-18-hong5005@1.jpg
    ego-electronic-e-cigarette-submarine-carto-tank-hong5005-1303-18-hong5005@1.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Pappy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2012
Dallas, Tx
I've never had gurgling or dry hits - different strokes I guess. I've always used Vision and they've always been good. Been using them for months on end. Cartos are ok too - I prefer kanger cartos myself.

I'm convinced that most of the problems people have with Vivi Nova tanks is due to them using knockoffs and not the real VISION Vivi Novas. I ONLY buy the Vision ones and my experience has been good.

Saving $3 or $4 and getting a knockoff that leaks or gives dry hits seems like false economy to me.

Heavyrocker

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2012
Toronto,Canada
And just to throw it out there, some sites call the pro-tank a glassomizer - even though it is really just a clearo made out of glass.

By the same token, my mini metal vivi should be called a metalizer - but it's not.

So stop it.

Then there is the '' TANK'' with the Ego setup...where does all the different names for a dam tank end,there are basically two types,some use poly fill and some use a string,SS mesh,ceramic or your granmothers used knickers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread