How did you find the Volt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wuzznt Me

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Twilight Zone
Lots of us got fed up with them, and one of them entered an SI contest and won. Convinced me to come check them out. I loitered for a few weeks until the new & improved version of the cartos & juice were in stock, then placed my first order. And never left. Now I'm a permanent resident. :)

There Star, fixed it for ya.;)

godinpreschool

Feb 18, 2012
los angeles
ahahaha steel jan gets another shout out:D i didn't want to give up the process of smoking and my neighbor let me hit her ecig. it was ok so i started doing research. si is hands down the best option for us who don't want to vape out of a gardening tool:D i got the sampler with 555 and ry4 in it and put down my tobacco! what a blessing<3

good luck staying off the smokes!!!

Staceylt40

ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2012
East Texas
ahahaha steel jan gets another shout out:D i didn't want to give up the process of smoking and my neighbor let me hit her ecig. it was ok so i started doing research. si is hands down the best option for us who don't want to vape out of a gardening tool:D i got the sampler with 555 and ry4 in it and put down my tobacco! what a blessing<3

good luck staying off the smokes!!!

WooHoo SteelJan!!! :eek:)

phishtraveler

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
...in middle america
This is a great topic. I found the VOLT after using a different brand KR-808d1 battery and cartos for about a year. It worked really well and got me off of cigs, but the results were just inconsistent. I was interested in the newer generation KR-808d1. Batteries had lots of issues, around 33% failure rate. Refills would work well once, then the 2nd refill would perform poorly. I loved the KR8 form and size, but I wanted better performance, better refills and better consistency. The VOLT has been flawless. Every battery has performed and performed. I have not had one fail yet in over 8 months of use. Every refill up to around 7-8 performs EXACTLY the same as the first fill or the prefilled cartomizer. I had one that I filled 20+ times and every fill was exactly like the first. Amazing product.

J Beard

Oct 10, 2011
Maryland U.S A.
I let my brother do the research for me (morepyro). He had been vaping exclusively for about 9 or 10 months (including building his own mods) when he loaned me a VOLT at our fireworks convention. Before his loaner I had smoked about 8 packs in 5 days. He gave SI and the VOLT high marks in all regards. After a couple days of him keeping me supplied in batteries and juice I made him sell me a couple of his volt batteries and enough supplies to get me home and buy my own. With his loaner I went from 1 1/2 packs a day down to about 1/2 a pack a day by the end of convention. I opened my last pack on the day we left and finished it 3 1/2 weeks later. I won't say it was an easy transition, had good and bad days, but I don't regret it one bit.
I havn't touched a cig since and I ain't lookin back!

ThreadKiller

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2012
AGFFA
Takes me a long time to get to the point here, but I do get there.... I"ll break it up into separate posts.

Background

I've been smoking for 30 years. For most of that time I was a pack-a-day smoker.

My wife and I tried Chantix. She hated the way it made food taste, but she wound up quitting cold-turkey anyway. I loved the dreams I got from it (I'm a sick puppy), but I wound up gaining weight and went back to smoking. That was 3 years ago. I was consigned to the garage to smoke, which was fine. I smoked on breaks at work too.

In the last year, I started allowing myself only 1/2/ cigarette at one time. I'd smoke the first half, put it out and come back to it later. Didn't matter if "later" was an hour, or it was 10 minutes, as long as I walked away after smoking 1/2. That little habit got me down to about 1/2 pack per day.

ThreadKiller

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2012
AGFFA
Vendor #1 - Smokeless Selects (SS)

Few weeks ago, my wife sent me a link to an positive article on e-cigs. Within that article was another link to SmokelessSelects e-cigs. They had a two-week trial for $4.95. I figured, what the heck...

I put in my order. Took a couple days to process and ship, then another 5 days get here. Was a pretty good setup, I thought. The battery looked like a cig (white) and the cartos looked like filters. I got a batt, 7 cartos, charger, wall adapter, car adapter and nice metal case (still the best case I've seen).

I started using it, thinking I could get to like this. First carto I used was 18mg nicotine (I believe) and I didn't really need my analogs. Too cool. That carto lasted a couple days. All the other carts had a lower nic dosage and didn't quite satisfy my cravings. Was back to analogs again (but still using the e-cig)

I would have kept going with Smokeless Selects, getting new cartos that had more nic, except for a few problems.
--I received my kit in the mail on a Friday. By Tuesday, I got a nasty-gram from the company saying that my trial was over and they needed to get in contact with me. They tried calling, but usually give out a fake phone number unless I trust the company. Turned out that the trial started when I placed my order.

--They wanted to now charge me $99 for what they had sent me. I went to their website and used their online chat feature (which is really great, except it takes a long time). Told the rep "Why should I pay $99 bucks for this stuff when you have the same package listed for $69 on your website?". He offered to cut the price by 40%. I figured that was pretty good, so I accepted. I liked the e-cig idea and I hadn't done any research yet.

--I then called the sales manager to "discuss" that little email she sent me and found out that I had been put on a list to automatically get cartos sent to me (and charged to me). Told her to get me off that list. She said she did that.
--I did wind up ordering another pack of 5 cartos (at $14.99 plus $9 S/H. More like S&M.). I ordered them on Feb 7. Called two weeks later to find out why they hadn't shipped. "Chinese New Year", I was told. Had to contact them three times before I finally got a shipping notice. I'm supposed to be getting them on Feb 27.

--They're nice people...if you can get a hold of them. Evidently, they are understaffed, so the phones don't get answered and you can wait 1/2 hour just to get someone on the online chat. Very annoying.

--Got a charge on my card from them the other day. Almost $50. Seems they put me back on the list for TWO packs of carts each month to be automatically sent to me. After a couple hours of calling I finally got hold of someone and told them to get rid of the charge and take me off the list.

Needless to say, that's the last business I do with Smokeless Selects. Nice little batt, though. Don't know what size it is. Won't fit Volt cartos and it's bigger in diameter compared to my 510. Speaking of the 510....

ThreadKiller

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2012
AGFFA
Vendor #2 - Americaneliquidstore

By now, I'm into e-cig online research. I'm liking the vaping idea (had never heard of "vaping" before starting the research), but Smokeless Selects(SS) obviously wasn't a vendor I wanted to do any more business with.
I'm jumping around from e-cig review sites (which I didn't really trust). How do you know if a site isn't run by whichever company is "#1" on their review list? Then I'm watching YouTube Vids and getting links to different vendors.
Americaneliquidstore.com looked good. They had a starter kit that only cost $20. By this time, my brain was aching from all the info I was trying to process, from 510s to "mods" to carts and atomizers--Geez, this was complicated. All I wanted was a stupid substitute for analogs (I LOVE that term, analogs. I'm a computer geek.). didn't want something that looked like a pipe-organ or a portable .....

Anyway, Americaneliquidstore sells Joye equipment. 510s. They looked good. Similar in shape to a regular cig, but black in color. Cool! Did I mention it was only $20? Not a trial, just a one-shot purchase. So, I ordered what they said was a 510 battery and a couple of cartos.

The company is in the midwest (SS was in CA), so shipping was pretty fast. 3 days with first class mail. I was happy with that.
The batt was pretty nice looking. It was a nice style for me. Comparing it to the Volt: If I had gotten the 65mm Volt batt, I wouldn't be able to tell them apart at a glance.

This is where I find out that the hardware from Smokeless Selects isn't compatible with this 510 kit. Bummer.
I noted that the plastic container with the cartos is labeled "Tobacco, low". Well, when I ordered, I asked for 18mg nicotine and regular tobacco, which wasn't "low". Sure enough, the nic content was too low. Still on analogs.

However, they didn't give me the right tobacco either. I expected something similar to regular cig tobacco but what I got was a sweet, slightly cherry flavor that tasted like that pipe tobacco I used ages ago, but without the bite. It was smooth and it was FANTASTIC. If they had given me the right nic content, I would never have gone anywhere else for my vaping hardware. But, after the debacle with SS, I wasn't very trusting. If the vendor couldn't get my initial order right, what else are they gonna mess up? I had to find someone else.

ThreadKiller

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2012
AGFFA
Vendor #3 - Smokeless Image (Finally)

By this time I was pretty discouraged. Was just about ready to forget about it and just smoke my analogs. Since that last sample kit only cost me $20, I'd try one more. I was a bit more savvy by this time and I knew what I wanted.

Regular looking unit. Decent battery life. Cartomizers and not atomizers (why bother with atomizers?). The less parts I had to replace or use, the better. I was replacing a cigaretter, for Pete's sake, not a tinker toy set.

By this time I had found ECF in my wanderings. Lots of people. Seem to be knowledgeable. Came across a post that mentioned the Volt and Smokeless Image. It was positive. A good unit for noobs, it said. Okay, whatever. Came across another post that said pretty much the same thing. Fine. I'll check out the website.

First impressions of Smokeless Image website.

--Colorful. Hey, that's the first thing that catches the eye. Most of the other sites I checked out looked "dingy" and cluttered. They looked like badly run garage sales with stuff all over the place.

--Seemed to only sell one type of unit. You can either look at that as "lack of choices" or "Simplicity". After all the confusing shopping I'd already done, "Simplicity" was pretty damn appealing.

--What type of batt was this? 510, KR-whatever? Didn't know and the website wasn't telling (or I couldn't find it). I almost left SI behind because of that. The Smokeless Selects site was that way too. Don't tell you exactly what they're selling (hey, I have trust issues). Found myself grumbling at my computer. I already had two incompatible units and was hoping that the Volt might go with one of them. I think I eventually had to ask someone what the equipment was. Sure enough, it wasn't compatible with what I had.

Decision time.

The starter kit wasn't too expensive, so that was good. The longer batt was appealing too. I like the look, just like I liked the 510. A few of the reviews mentioned how good the customer service was, and that almost clinched it.

Know what tipped me over the edge? These subForums. If the product was lousy, you wouldn't want to set up a site for your customers to tell everyone how lousy your products are. The people in the SI forum were pretty nice and pretty dedicated to the Volt. Questions answered quickly and politely. Lots of people were helping out with the answers. (I was so new to ECF that I had to throw out some quick posts in the New Members Forum before I could even ask questions in the SI forum.)

I put in the order. While waiting for my order I started posting my usual nonsense around here and didn't get kicked out (yet), so that's a plus.

A few days later I got the kit with the tobacco sample pack. That was yesterday I got the stuff. Tried all the flavors in the pack and frankly, don't care much for any of them. However, I wasn't searching for flavors, I was looking for a hardware vendor that sold a unit I liked and would actually SHIP ME WHAT I ORDERED, DAMMIT! (Sorry, it's still a sensitive subject. lol). So far, SI has delivered (literally and figuatively). I haven't had a problem, but I believe that if I ever do, SI will take care of me. Hey, they sent me the unit I ordered and the flavors at 24mg that I wanted. Good start!

Cute side note: I opened the nice box when I got it in the mail (I left work early to come home and get it), I was going through the equipment. Found the batt and and immediately saw that it was a manual. First thought was, Crap!, even SI couldn't get my order right. I wanted an auto, dammit. Another vendor who can't simply deliver what I order. Then I thought "I DID order the auto battery, right?". Went through my emails and found the order. Sure enough, I'd ordered the manual batt by mistake. I'd had some practice with my 510 which had a manual batt so I was okay with it. Next batt is an auto! I want to vape, not play the flute! :)

See? It was a looong story, but it had a happy ending!

ThreadKiller

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2012
AGFFA
If you don't care of any of these tobacco flavors, we could probably recommend some other places/flavors for you to try - if you are interested.
Thanks. I have some links to some good places, but always welcome more. At the moment, though, I'm single-mindedly chasing down that pipe-flavored stuff from AeL. I'm hoping to hear from them on Monday. Hope they can tell me what they accidently sent me. :)

Staceylt40

ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2012
East Texas
Awesome read Ron. My first e-cig was the Cig2O I bought at a local tobacco store. I actually really liked it. I didn't have anything to compare it too. But I wanted to learn more. I was also wanting something that didn't quite look like a cig. I came across SteelJan on YouTube which ultimately led me to ECF. I was so overwhelmed with everything and one of the post forums I found was "post pics of your setups" or something like that. It literally scared the heck outta me. some of those things were way to hardcore for me and really felt like I was in the wrong place. I was still using my Cig20 which at least kept me off cigs. Then one day I came across a post about the Volt. Hmmm okay, let me check this out. It was elegant, girly, not near the prices of some of the others and there were very few bad reviews/comments. Again, I came across SteelJan and her video of the Volt and Smokeless Image and how much she loved it. So a month into it, I decided to give it a shot. I could not be happier!! I had gotten the sampler also and I have an opinion of them all. RY4 is my fav. 555 was way to strong!! Desert Joe and Freedom tasted and smelled like dirty feet. Couldn't get past the smell to vape. Cowboy was good. yumm.. Way to good as a matter of fact. Tasted WAY to much like Marlboro and every time I vaped it, it made me want a cig. I had to quit using it.

Someone had mentioned Dr Pepper flavor being sold at ECBlends. Curiosity got the better of me. Ordered a 3ml bottle. Eh.. wasn't to impressed. It was okay, just not the best. They had sent me a free sample of banana. My first thought was NO way can I vape banana. LOL but I was WRONG!! It is my all time fav go to daily vape. 2 days later I placed another order for the 30ml bottle. It tastes like banana taffy candy I had when I was a kid. I love it!!

I have lots of juices that I haven't even tried and others I have and don't like. My top 3 are RY4, Banana and Vanilla. Light, sweet soft vapes. 12-18mg on most. My banana is 0mg so I vape it all day. get the flavor and not the nic. LOL
banana_smiley_7.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread