FDA How do the FDA regulations affect DIY liquid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

flobiwan

ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2009
I am thinking about getting into DIY as a way of bypassing the FDA regs. As it stands now, assuming the FDA regs are not overturned in the next few years, will we still be able to buy diluted nicotine solutions and PG in the future or will those also be banned/controlled by the FDA?

Also, on a related note, can anyone direct me to some good websites to learn about making my own DIY liquid?

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Whether and for how long nic will continue to be be available is a question nobody has a good answer to. Nic is the obvious choke point that could be used to control the informal market for juice that will surely arise as the formal market disappears.

Everything else needed for DIY has lots of other uses and should continue to be readily available from various sources.

As for learning about DIY, I might suggest heading for the DIY section of this very forum.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I am thinking about getting into DIY as a way of bypassing the FDA regs. As it stands now, assuming the FDA regs are not overturned in the next few years, will we still be able to buy diluted nicotine solutions and PG in the future or will those also be banned/controlled by the FDA?

Also, on a related note, can anyone direct me to some good websites to learn about making my own DIY liquid?
There aren't good answers to your questions because the FDA can do what it wants when it wants. I have bought nic from myfreedomsmokes and rtsvapes. A liter of 100mg nic from MFS costs $50. It will last me about 3.5 years at 70 mg nic a day. It might last others who use less much longer. Transfer nic to amber glass bottles and store in the freezer away from light and oxygen.

I measure ingredients with a couple of syringes and erlyanmeyer flasks and calculate amounts with an android app called liquix. I'm going to start using graduated cylinders for measuring but that isn't really necessary. My cost of ingredients is about 1.2 cents per ml, $30 a year. That would be typical unless you need large amounts of expensive flavorings.

I'm happy to see more people doing DIY. It's the future regardless of government interference.

Last edited:

flobiwan

ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2009
Thanks. I understand that the FDA can always change things, but do the current deeming regulations include a future restriction on nic itself? I tried reading it but it's very confusing.

Theoretically, how long will nic last in the freezer? Could i buy a 10 year supply and store it or would it go bad before then?

Reactions: bnrkwest

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
The current deeming regs state that the FDA does not currently intend to enforce against components that aren't finished tobacco products -- provided they are not sold directly to consumers. Thing is, all the nic vendors we've come to know and love DO sell directly to consumers, so that could change at any time.

There people on this forum who've had nic in the freezer for as long as 6 years. They've reported no noticeable degradation, so the assumption is that it will last pretty much indefinitely.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Thanks. I understand that the FDA can always change things, but do the current deeming regulations include a future restriction on nic itself? I tried reading it but it's very confusing.

Theoretically, how long will nic last in the freezer? Could i buy a 10 year supply and store it or would it go bad before then?

I would Strongly Suggest that you consider getting a supply of Nicotine Base. Because depending on the mg level you use, and the amount of ml's you vape per day, a 10 year supply would probably cost you $100 ~ $200.

This, to Me, is a Very Small Price to ensure an Uninterrupted of e-Liquid.

And as Others have Mentioned, there is No Clear Cut understanding of what Regulations the FDA may impose in the Future. Or what Restrictions and or Taxes your State may implement down the road.

Reactions: Rossum

flobiwan

ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2009
I agree. Do you recommend a good place to get it from? I was looking at Diluted Nicotine Solution for E-Liquids. Are there better nic liquids out there or is it all pretty much the same.

Also, can someone hook me up with a link to some good bottles i can store it in? I'm thinking amber glass would probably be best, right?

Another question, how long will nic liquid stay well in a closet? What about PG liquid? I'm thinking if i can't fit it all in the freezer, i may have to put some in another place.

WillyZee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2013
Toronto

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I agree. Do you recommend a good place to get it from? I was looking at Diluted Nicotine Solution for E-Liquids. Are there better nic liquids out there or is it all pretty much the same.

Also, can someone hook me up with a link to some good bottles i can store it in? I'm thinking amber glass would probably be best, right?

Another question, how long will nic liquid stay well in a closet? What about PG liquid? I'm thinking if i can't fit it all in the freezer, i may have to put some in another place.

I haven't bought any Nicotine Base in a Long Time. So I would rather see someone make a Recommendation for a company that they have Recently purchased from.

But my most Recent Purchased were from Heartland Vapes. Which I was Very Happy with both in Quality and in Shipping.

Wholesale Nicotine, Bulk e-Liquid, PG, VG and Supplies Heartlandvapes Wholesale

I'm currently vaping DIY e-Liquids that were made from 100% PG Nicotine Base that is 3 Years Old. And it has been stored in the Back of a Cool, Dark Closet.

No detectable drop in Nicotine Strength or Taste.

Dieseler

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2011
Illinois

Various places mine comes from RTS if you look at there site check out the wholesale nic if buying in large quantities.

Reactions: salemgold

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I'm currently vaping DIY e-Liquids that were made from 100% PG Nicotine Base that is 3 Years Old. And it has been stored in the Back of a Cool, Dark Closet.

No detectable drop in Nicotine Strength or Taste.
thanks for that report this is good information to have. Has that nicotine gotten noticeably darker? I think the point is that it helps nicotine in the long run to be stored in the freezer but it's not a critical situation if it's not frozen for a while because of a power outage or moving or whatever.

Reactions: grandmato5

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
thanks for that report this is good information to have. Has that nicotine gotten noticeably darker? I think the point is that it helps nicotine in the long run to be stored in the freezer but it's not a critical situation if it's not frozen for a while because of a power outage or moving or whatever.

The Colour has not really Change at all. It came to me with a Slight Amber Tint to it. It hasn't become Noticeably Darker.

I posted Once where putting Nicotine Base in the Freezer was like hitting the "Pause Button" on your DVD Player. That whatever the Room Temperature lifespan is for a Nicotine Base, freezing it just pauses the Clock from Ticking. Kurt commented that this Non-Scientific Analogy was a pretty Good One.

I really Don't think I would be overly concerned with an Occasional Power Outage. Or with Moving Nicotine Base around.

And about the Only thing that I would tell someone about freezing Nicotine Base is to Divide a Liter into Smaller Glass bottles. Such a 250ml or even 125ml Bottles.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
The Colour has not really Change at all. It came to me with a Slight Amber Tint to it. It hasn't become Noticeably Darker.

I posted Once where putting Nicotine Base in the Freezer was like hitting the "Pause Button" on your DVD Player. That whatever the Room Temperature lifespan is for a Nicotine Base, freezing it just pauses the Clock from Ticking. Kurt commented that this Non-Scientific Analogy was a pretty Good One.

I really Don't think I would be overly concerned with an Occasional Power Outage. Or with Moving Nicotine Base around.

And about the Only thing that I would tell someone about freezing Nicotine Base is to Divide a Liter into Smaller Glass bottles. Such a 250ml or even 125ml Bottles.
Ẁhat is your rationale for long term storage in the smaller bottles? I've got my long term supply in 1 liter bottles. When it's time to open one I'll divide it into 4 250 ml bottles. Those will be the active bottles for mixing. When all 4 are finally empty I'll divide another 1 liter bottle the same way. I'm doing that to minimize the space requirement. As of now my long term stockpile will fit on my freezer door shelves, space I can live without. I'd like to avoid operating a separate freezer.

Reactions: Iron Molly
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread