FDA How do the FDA regulations affect DIY liquid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Ẁhat is your rationale for long term storage in the smaller bottles? I've got my long term supply in 1 liter bottles. When it's time to open one I'll divide it into 4 250 ml bottles. Those will be the active bottles for mixing. When all 4 are finally empty I'll divide another 1 liter bottle the same way. I'm doing that to minimize the space requirement. As of now my long term stockpile will fit on my freezer door shelves, space I can live without. I'd like to avoid operating a separate freezer.

On Smaller Bottles...

I like the Concept of Not having to open the Same Bottle every time I need some Nicotine Base.
I would Also hate to Drop a 1 Liter Glass Bottle and Break It. A 125ml or 250ml would be Bad Enough. A 1L and you might see a Grown Man Cry.
Smaller Bottles can also be Easier to Fit into a Freezer. Or at least into Mine.

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
98% of oxidation issues are solved simply by putting the nic in well-sealed glass, even at room temp. I mostly use 50 mL bottles for freezer storing, but I also use larger bottles for nic I know I won't get to for a long time. It takes me a few months to go through 50 mL, so smaller bottles keep less out and opened at a given time. Also freezing will greatly thicken the nic liquid if it is VG-nic, and pouring from a big bottle some to use for a while, and then putting the rest back into the freezer is not ideal. And cold nic will absorb water from the air. Not a huge problem, but somewhat of a factor. To minimize air exposure to the bulk of you nic, smaller bottles are best. Most of mine is in 50 mL bottles, with some 100s, 250s and 500s, which will get broken down into 50s when I get to that nic.

Plastic bottles are not good if you don't want oxidation. They are very good, however, if you DO, but that is another topic entirely.

Leave a few mL headspace in the bottle, since nic liquid can expand with heat. The headspace O2 is negligible at best. Several threads in the DIY forum, and I have a sticky there too.

And I'm a huge fan of VapersTek Throat Hit. For the price, I think it is the best, that is my own subjective opinion. But there are many good sources of quality nic out there. I would buy small samples of several, see what you like the best, and then buy in bulk.

Good luck!

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina
My nicotine of choice is RTS Vapes by far. No matter which one you choose, be sure to search for discount codes. RTS has one for new customers. The code is firstorder which will save you 20% on nic, pg and vg of your first order with them. I have good info linked in my sig line. Good luck to you.

ETA- Getting samples to try first is very good advice if you want to take the time to do that. Some folks like the nic with stronger taste and TH and then folks (like me) don't want to taste it or have any TH at all ;) Everyone's tastes are different.

Last edited:

bigdancehawk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Kansas City, Missouri
Ẁhat is your rationale for long term storage in the smaller bottles? I've got my long term supply in 1 liter bottles. When it's time to open one I'll divide it into 4 250 ml bottles. Those will be the active bottles for mixing. When all 4 are finally empty I'll divide another 1 liter bottle the same way. I'm doing that to minimize the space requirement. As of now my long term stockpile will fit on my freezer door shelves, space I can live without. I'd like to avoid operating a separate freezer.
I understand fully, but you'll probably agree that glass is best for long term storage. If your nic comes in plastic and you decant it into glass, when it comes time to use it you'll have to decant it again.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
On Smaller Bottles...

I like the Concept of Not having to open the Same Bottle every time I need some Nicotine Base.
I would Also hate to Drop a 1 Liter Glass Bottle and Break It. A 125ml or 250ml would be Bad Enough. A 1L and you might see a Grown Man Cry.
Smaller Bottles can also be Easier to Fit into a Freezer. Or at least into Mine.
Breaking a bottle is my main concern with long term storage. A bigger bottle is more vulnerable than smaller. Each of my 1 liter bottles goes in a zip lock bag. That is wrapped wth a turn or two of thin bubble wrap then that is put in one more zip lock bag. If a bottle breaks I'm hoping the glass wont peirce the outer zip lock bag so there will be a chance to salvage most of the liquid. If all my nic was in smaller bottles I'd need another freezer which I'm avoiding for now.

I understand fully, but you'll probably agree that glass is best for long term storage. If your nic comes in plastic and you decant it into glass, when it comes time to use it you'll have to decant it again.
I'm using amber glass. Someone else suggeseted clear bottles wrapped with tin foil. An advantage of that is it would be it's easier to inspect the liquid every few years but I'm sticking with amber glass.

Reactions: nicnik

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
ordered my 55 gallon drum, anybody know where I can buy a large freezer?:thumb:

Good God!! I hope you are kidding. Good luck dispensing from that beast. There may be a walk-in freezer in your future.

Colored vs colorless glass: I think colorless or dark glass is fine either way. Visible light has little effect on nic. It is UV light that enhances oxidation, and freezers are dark anyway...and it's in glass (little to no O2 can get in to oxidize). If you want to check nic color, colorless glass is fine. If Al foil makes you feel more secure, fine, but I don't think it is necessary, even minimally. I use dark glass out of habit and because I have a lot of those amber bottles, and I prefer the eurodropper bottles for my dispensing during daily use. And I don't need to see my nic. I have no doubt at all that it won't change for many years in the freezer. Validated over and over and over.

And even if it does yellow a bit, no problem. It will have more pepper and TH, and probably taste better anyway. :D

mostlyclassics

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Ẁhat is your rationale for long term storage in the smaller bottles?

Smaller bottles are tougher and less inclined to break if you drop them.

Also, if you break a liter bottle, that'll ruin your day. But if you bust a little one, it's a "meh?"

Reactions: Rossum

Bob Chill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
Sans Nom, USA
Another vote for VT TH nic. It's no doubt the best $40/liter base on the market. Great stuff for using in flavored recipes because it has minimal flavor. I prefer RTS for unflavored though. Very pleasant on its own.

I mix for 4 so I have a lot more stashed than many folks will ever need individually. I have 3 liters broken down in 120's and the rest in 32oz bottles. I plan on just recycling the 120s and break down the 32oz bottles as needed.

Now is the time to buy base. No two ways around that. High quality, free flowing and cheap is something that will be a distant memory at some point. Holding off now is probably a mistake.

Fikeman

Oct 1, 2014
Phoenix,Az.
Another vote for VT TH nic like said in previous posts liter of 100mg nic I got the PG base as I prefer more VG and less PG and owner is a regular on this site. He was very helpful when I knew not of diy but there are many vendors My Freedom Smokes, RTS Vapes, VT again very good cust. service replaced bottle of flavor that the seal broke fast shipping and even answered a couple questions and set me on the right track. Anyway bla bla bla read the newbies section on diy you will have so much info youre head will pop. Good luck and Vape on!!

Reactions: WillyZee

Stownz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2010
Guthrie, OK
Freezer would definitely be the best bet, but my kids dig in the freezer all the time. So I'll share the worst case storage scenario:

I'm an auto tech by trade, and the shop gets well over 110 degrees in the summer. I keep ALL my mixing supplies at work, in the toolbox. I generally buy nic when I see a great sale, and stockpile it. I've had quite a few of my 6 year old flavorings go wanky on me, but the nic has always been just fine. It oxidizes, and goes quite dark, but still tastes and vapes fine. Last year, I messed up and didn't mix enough juice for the weekend and the shop was closed. I found some nic and VG in the garage from one of my very first DIY experiences. I mixed it up and it tasted fine, but the nicotine strength was a tad weaker then it should of been. Vaped it all weekend 8)

In short, even un refrigerated, in plastic bottles, and cooked in crazy shop heat for many years: the VG and nicotine will survive, just the nic becomes a bit weaker/looses some of its potency. In addition, I've bought some really cheap Chinese nicotine base quite a few times over the years, it's not really high quality stuff to begin with.

Store the stuff if you can, but as a father of 6 children, it's more important that all of my stuff is VERY well hidden away from kids.

BuGlen

Divergent
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2012
Tampa, Florida
Freezer would definitely be the best bet, but my kids dig in the freezer all the time. So I'll share the worst case storage scenario:

I'm an auto tech by trade, and the shop gets well over 110 degrees in the summer. I keep ALL my mixing supplies at work, in the toolbox. I generally buy nic when I see a great sale, and stockpile it. I've had quite a few of my 6 year old flavorings go ....y on me, but the nic has always been just fine. It oxidizes, and goes quite dark, but still tastes and vapes fine. Last year, I messed up and didn't mix enough juice for the weekend and the shop was closed. I found some nic and VG in the garage from one of my very first DIY experiences. I mixed it up and it tasted fine, but the nicotine strength was a tad weaker then it should of been. Vaped it all weekend 8)

In short, even un refrigerated, in plastic bottles, and cooked in crazy shop heat for many years: the VG and nicotine will survive, just the nic becomes a bit weaker/looses some of its potency. In addition, I've bought some really cheap Chinese nicotine base quite a few times over the years, it's not really high quality stuff to begin with.

Store the stuff if you can, but as a father of 6 children, it's more important that all of my stuff is VERY well hidden away from kids.

Just an FYI to you and others with small children in the home: You can buy small freezers with locks to store your nicotine, if you don't mind making the initial investment. Two to five cubic foot models can be found on Amazon as well as department stores and office supply stores, usually less than $200 (USD).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread