Status
Not open for further replies.

FogHawg

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 9, 2013
KY
I've only been DIYing a few weeks & have had some success thanks to this forum. BUT. I've read & read, tweeked & tweeked. Tried EM, ACV, malic acid. I've eased up past the point of overflavoring several times & have yet to match the full bodied intense flavor that really rings my bell. I'd imagine that I'm not alone here & not the only DIYer who wonders how in the world they might manage such results? Surely some of you long time DIYers are equaling the potency of the vendor juices? If so what is/are the freakin trade secret(s)?

john333

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
Indiana
First you need a really good recipe. Do a search in the DIY recipe section for STR8V8PING. I think he also has a couple in the JuiceMeUp calculator. Follow them exactly and you'll have a liquid worthy of a good vendors liquid. His Snickerdoodle cookie recipe is my only real success. But it will prove to you that it can be done. Good luck

Levitas

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2011
Saint Louis
Here's the thing: I notice that you're making mention of additional ingredients that are designed to help improve the flavor(s) you have. Something to think about is, sometimes a particular flavor cannot be saved, that, and, not all flavorings are created equal.

That's not to say that any given flavoring isn't good, per say, rather, some just taste better than others.

With that being said, in my short tenure at making my own swill, I find that the key is experimenting with multiple companies until finding the 'one' so to speak. For example: If you're looking for a great strawberry, try TFA, LA, CAP, Inewera, etc. Basically, explore until you find what you're looking for, instead of manipulating the one flavoring you have (trying to make it what you originally thought it was going to taste like). Chances are, it won't, no matter what you add to it.

Now, as to the complex, multi-flavored liquids, that increases the difficulty a tad. Sometimes you can get lucky and mix a couple or more flavorings together that you think would go good together, and magically they do. I believe you need to taste each individual flavoring on its own to figure out what two (or more) flavorings will work together. This can be a hassle, and at the least, relatively time consuming.

But imagine, those vendors that have mastered the mix (or that make really decent juice) have gone through trial and error, and you most likely will have to do the same. I am currently trying to master chocolate (God, help me), so my first order of business is to order mass amounts of various chocolates, vanillas, and any other component that is thought to bring out that flavor profile better, and try every single one at various %'s, until I either 1.) Figure out the potential of each said flavoring, or 2.) Quickly figure out that this flavoring isn't going to yield the results I desire.

As is, take your time (if you can), borrow some recipes (if you need to), try to hang on those who have similar taste profiles (I love some LorAnn Strawberry, if you loath it, we may not like the same things ;) ). Bear in mind, you have an endless amount of knowledge and experience here to help you (in the form of all of us, yourself included), but in the long run, only you can prevent forest fires... er, I mean, create the perfect blend for you.

TL;DR - Buy lots of flavors. :D

psycheval

ECF Veteran
May 12, 2013
Forget
Start at 1% of 1 flavor and add 1% till you get where you like. I tried the recipes others make and use them as a guide for the flavors not the amounts. You aren't using what their using and not doing what their doing so you have to figure it out. Do what you do with the same stuff the same way every time. Quality Control in other words. Once you get 1 flavor at he percentage you want put 2 together at the percentages they work at individually and see what you get. Adjust one or the other or however many you combine. I do 7 in several. At basically percentages they would be at indiviually.

skoot

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2013
Colorado
What exactly are you trying to match? I'm working on some Virgin Vapor inspirations- I wouldn't call them clones right now but VV's overall "flavor profile" is what I'm trying to achieve. There's a huge thread here about cloning Boba's Bounty, if that's your taste. If you have a particular vendor or flavor you're trying to match that would be helpful.

Faylool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Sweet Home, Oregon USA
I found it easy with -vaping zone gourmetsuper concentrate flavorings-It finally came together and made me think of an anology. Jelly Belly Jelly Beans. Always taste good. Even when you grab several flavors most the time ( not all the time) its in the flavoring. Thats my only input because i like it simple and im not a DIY hobbiest but i do like strong flavors. Starts with
1 % and no need to do more than 4% if you like strong good flavor and no chemicl perfume effects and no sweetners needed.

Levitas

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2011
Saint Louis
36 - An alternative to having to make larger batches in order to utilize that smidgeon of 'pop flavoring' might be to dilute said flavoring, thus giving you the ability to utilize it in smaller quantities.

Capella's Chocolate Fudge Brownie is potent, but I love it in certain blends. Only problem is, sometimes 1 drop is not enough, and 2 makes me gag. I dilute 1ml in 4mls of PG, and voila, I've my solution.

36tinybells

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 30, 2011
Right Over Here
36 - An alternative to having to make larger batches in order to utilize that smidgeon of 'pop flavoring' might be to dilute said flavoring, thus giving you the ability to utilize it in smaller quantities.

Capella's Chocolate Fudge Brownie is potent, but I love it in certain blends. Only problem is, sometimes 1 drop is not enough, and 2 makes me gag. I dilute 1ml in 4mls of PG, and voila, I've my solution.

Good point, but I am lazy and don't mind having bigger bottles of juice I like sitting around, steeping while I am busy vaping others! Also, I have folks who prefer my blends and this way it's already made when they ask for it.
Btw, I love being able to mix something myself on the drop of a dime instead of waiting on the mailman. TG for ultrasonics for aiding quicker steeps!
Cheers, Levitas, I'm always glad to see your diy posts- you embrace the spirit of diy so wholeheartedly!

psycheval

ECF Veteran
May 12, 2013
Forget
I cut my flavors 50% and double the percentages for mixing. I make 35/65 PG/VG at 24mg/ml for all my finished mixes. So I get say 8ml of PG base flavor and add 8ml of VG. 50/50 flavor. It steeps in 16ml. Infuses the VG with more flavor in the finished juice. Or seems to. I'm running this high VG mix but I'm using percentages of flavor that folks are using in high PG mixes. Or less than high pg mix percentages. I use 60 mg/ml nic base at 25/75 PG/VG. That keeps me from dropping below 24mg/ml with anything I mix even with doubling the amount of flavor percentage to allow for the 50% increase in volume. I started this tumbling thread here http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/new-members-forum/416586-steeping-paint-shaker-style.html. I do TA Concentrate just like all the other flavors I use and seem to be reducing the steeping curve dramitically. Infusing the VG is the issue I've had. I might have found a way to do that. Maybe.

Brokil

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 15, 2013
Anonymus
Every vendor has their own "secret" to making their juices come to life. But to get there, as previously stated, they went through countless trial and error sessions. Part of the key is to make several small (5mL or less) batches at differing percents of flavorings from different vendors. There are so many factors that can affect a flavor that it boggles the mind lol.

Steeping has served me well but requires a great deal of patience and of course time to let it do its thing. I find it easier to get it "jump started" with a hot water bath to make the VG more receptive if you will. Just my thoughts.

Taste is, unfortunately, subjective. But in all of your experimentations, be sure to write down what percent of what you put into each test batch. You could hit that one flavor dead on where you want it but forgot what you put in it. Then the process begins all over again. Been there done that.

I wish you the best of luck in your DIYing endeavour. And Levitas ... I'm right there working on that elusive chocolate with you. Batch 57 and counting ...

the_vape_nerd

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2011
New Orleans, LA
it' my opinion that all of the top quality juice vendors have backgrounds in either the culinary flavoring arts or have some decent knowledge of chemistry...both high brow and vermillion river claim to have the culinary background if i recall correctly

you will have to be a bit patient and figure out what works for you....

What i've done is make a few simple ones for myself that i know i can go to...and then i experiment with a new one each week or so...i also still buy a little vendor juice as a reference point and see if i can make it or come close

Levitas

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2011
Saint Louis
Yeah, but, according to Little Chef:

remyratatouille-anyonecancook.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread