How do you define high end?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lufty

Sep 13, 2018
Columbus, Ohio
Interesting posts so far! I had initially posted this because I feel like sometimes vapers get taken advantage of by business's that overprice their product and limit how much they release to give the illusion that it is high end. But after seeing a lot of your pots it seems to be more of a "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" type situation.

Gramdogg

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2016
Fredericton NB Canada
Yeah pretty much. I'd say $100+ for tanks, $200 for mods and mostly nothing from China. Some don't even collect, flippers join groups just to make $100+ selling it after they win the chance to buy it. Been many times stuff sky rockets in value. More about pride of ownership then price to rich folks.

Jebbn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
safe distance from a black hole
For me 'high end' is marketing/sales speak, generally price point. Branding.
I dont always associate 'high end' products with high quality or reliability. I think its a misused term trying to allude to good quality in fad and fashion industries where what they mean is price point and brand
'High end' might be associated with exclusivity, status and rarity by some consumers and those perceived traits might make it worth the extra cost of entering the higher end of the market for those consumers.
For me, I have some high end items that were worth the purchase and the high quality of parts and craftsmanship have stood the test of time. I also had some that left me with terrible buyers remorse and a loss in resale. Unreliable, finicky and constantly at the warranty repairers.
I also have some cheap bunky stuff that 20yrs later still works fine and also bought lots of cheap bunky stuff Ive forgotten about that fell apart a week after purchasing.

Gramdogg

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2016
Fredericton NB Canada
For me 'high end' is marketing/sales speak, generally price point. Branding.
I dont always associate 'high end' products with high quality or reliability. I think its a misused term trying to allude to good quality in fad and fashion industries where what they mean is price point and brand
'High end' might be associated with exclusivity, status and rarity by some consumers and those perceived traits might make it worth the extra cost of entering the higher end of the market for those consumers.
For me, I have some high end items that were worth the purchase and the high quality of parts and craftsmanship have stood the test of time. I also had some that left me with terrible buyers remorse and a loss in resale. Unreliable, finicky and constantly at the warranty repairers.
I also have some cheap bunky stuff that 20yrs later still works fine and also bought lots of cheap bunky stuff Ive forgotten about that fell apart a week after purchasing.
Edit 2yrs not 20yrs :)

Doffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2014
Australia
Pretty much anything but this is "high enough end"

images.jpeg

I do love what I have though

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
Authentic Mechanical mods are high end and represent the origins of the vaping industry.

Everything else is "bandwagon" hardware. Having said that i think being able to control how much power goes to your coil was a necessary innovation. Most of these types of mod are of a reasonably good quality.

As far as Atomizers are concerned there are a few at the high end. I'd say my authentic V4 is high end. Svoemesto make high end Atomizers. Would a Sub Ohm tank with drop in coils be considered high end if the tank is designed to last forever ?. And do such tanks even exist ?. Are drop in coils made to a high standard ?. If sub ohm tanks with drop in coils had drop in coils which were rebuildable would that tank be considered a better quality tank ?. Do you consider you home made coils, in your RDA or RTA, bespoke, high end works of art ?. I think that's the difference.

FΛDED

ECF Veteran
Sep 30, 2017
Austin, Texas
Hey guys!
I'll follow that by either..
  • Well, hello.
  • Sup.
  • Or Howdy.

Just curious about what you guys define as 'high end'?

Easy. Anything YOU feel is the best from the group/bunch/set/collection in regards to; treasures, gifts, art, restaurants, cars, & also vape gear.

*high end;
superb, quality, value, craftsmanship > the rest, also includes 'well priced'. I just say expensive, but people use big words/marketing words. High ends can also be low or mid priced. I've thrown away high priced things not too long ago. High ends are known to be timeless, precision, beautiful, functional, build, feel, everything in between, appeals to me in every way. High-priced junk happens a lot too, lol.​

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Not all Mercedes are high end. Some of them are and some of them can be depending on options or editions.

I don’t consider lost vape high end. They are right in the middle of mid tier. Just because a mod has a yihi or a dna doesn’t make it a high end.

I get that about car options, but a stripped down Mercedes is still higher end than a fully loaded Ford Taurus. The Mercedes would check all three of the boxes (reliability, accuracy, and dependability) even though it was slightly lower tech than the fully loaded Mercedes. While the Taurus notoriously had dependability and reliability issues.

And just because someone with a band saw and a router made it out of wood doesn't make it high end either. A hand carved wooden "mech" for instance, is as "high end " as if someone hand built the most beautiful car ever made, but you made it go by yelling "yabba-dabba-do", sticking your feet out of the bottom, and running. I know mech users will disagree, but by dictionary standards, "high end" has to include a technical component. You can of course try to adapt the definition but then it is slang, not the true definition. Once you start changing the definition then it can literally mean anything. Maybe someone wants to consider a 18650 battery duct taped to an RDA and a loose piece of wire to touch to the bottom of the battery to "fire" it as high end as well.

diagrammatiks

ECF Veteran
Aug 18, 2018
Don’t mistake luxury with high end. A stripper a class or c class is barely better then a loaded Taurus.

It’s not like there are only two categories. High end and everything else.

The tech component is dependent only on the tech needed for the machine to actually function. For a mech we are talking about very limited run construction materials and at least silver alloy contacts.

How would a duct taped tube fit into any of the definitions mentioned here.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
This reminds me of audio forums. Is a Wilson Duette high end for a bookshelf sized speaker? Sure. Are there that many ears that are so golden out there to notice the difference for a tenth the price (OK, not the bestest analogy as that still gives you $2K for a bookshelf speaker and still probably high end)?

Build quality, materials, and reliability are to me the hallmarks of high end. And in the world of mods, reliability and functionality count for a lot. Tanks? Those with high quality machining and innovative, as in meaningfully enhancing performance that could actually be noticed by the average experienced vaper (no golden taste buds required) would fall into that category.

It's also, at least to me, important to separate price tag from high end. Just because it costs 4 times more than the average product in the same category doesn't, in my my mind, automatically qualify it as high end. Lots of "high end" mods and tanks have caused plenty of grief from malfunctions and varying QC.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
High end is quality build, the right combination of features designed for ease of use and functionality, ergonomically designed to fit the hand with controls in the right place, and equipped with reliable electronics that work as advertised. If the price is right it's a real deal.

My $29.95 (on sale at Efun) Geek Vape Aegis 100W fits that bill. The Provari V2 was high end when I bought it, but not so much these days.

Last edited:

Walee

ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2017
I have three YiHi's that I consider "high end", or maybe "higher end" than the herd? Price does figure in to that opinion as I consider all three conspicuous consumption for my pocketbook. I call my G-Class my "Sunday go ta meetin" mod. The Mini Q mini is the least flashy and the ML Class, well, it is what it is. All three are excellent regarding form, fit, and function although the G-Class is loosing some of it's finish on one metal plate. Having said that, I don't partake of the $500+ tube mechs etc., so I can't comment on any "feelings" regarding such devices. In my mind that is moving from the realm of "high end" to ridiculas. I'm sure folks who buy them would disagree. Continuing from there in the stack ranking, are the DNA devices which are arguably more accurate with further advanced function. Beyond that I have a good number of "average?" mods that I probably get more enjoyment out of because I use them more on a daily basis. I don't buy designer jeans because, well, I just don't care, so maybe the G-Class could be considered my designer jeans.

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
Hey guys! Just curious about what you guys feel defines a 'high end' device?

Not trying to start any arguements here! So please keep everything civil, these are only opinions and we are all entitled to our own opinions!

Thankies! [:

My opinion of something high end, would be a device that uses superior materials and/or craftsmenship in the product, as well as innovative ways to utilize the materials/craftsmenship. I guess if that makes sense [:

You hit the bullseye dead center Lufty. The rest is conjecture.

I have learned over the years that too many times supposed high end doesn't automatically yield value. Just lots of money. But with careful consideration high end products can end up being the best value in terms of lifespan.

I'll use a shirt as an example. In a surf shop a brand of shirts used recycled wood fibers in the polyester blend to achieve a wicking action with a feel of cotton. It was $50. Another brand used ordinary Rayon to achieve a synthetic silk feel. It was $65.

To me the one with wood fibers was a high end product due to the innovation, the craftsmanship of snipping any loose threads and double stitching the buttons. Combined with a luxury feel and a durability that high end product was also a value. I still wear it after nearly 20 years by the way.

Now high end can be within a lineup of a companies products as well. I'll use the company Acura for example. They are a bit of a cut above an ordinary Honda for example in terms of luxury aspect. But take the TLX for example. Luxury creature features built into all models, yet their SH was all wheel drive with a more powerful engine using Formula 1 tech in the auto transmission and a series of clutches in the drive train to achieve a rear wheel drive torque application in a front wheel drive car. A high end version of a high end model made by an ordinary car producing car company.

I bought a YiHi SX SL Class and a JAC Vapour Sandstorm for the standout durability. To some they could be called high end for a host of reasons. To others, a mid-level device. To me they were high end compared to my other devices. Not because of price point or having the latest chip set (that may have been made obsolete while they were in transit to my home). But because they are well built from proven reliable parts with some creature features not available from the lower priced items I find just as useful.

Now luck may have it that my $20 JoyeTech Penguin is still around long after those so-called high end devices are gone.
Time will tell.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread