How do you make notes for your recipes/flavors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jusu

Jul 18, 2018
I'm quite new to D.I.Y., but it wrapped around my neck and i'm loving it, anyway, i'm trying to pin down a way to make my notes on the flavors and recipes, for the time being it's quite disconnected and lacks in consistency from one note to the next while i evaluate a flavor or recipe.

Rather than relying on time to find a good style that is consistent and easy to compare to previous ones, hence getting a good overview on the quality and usability of the flavor/recipe, i thought it was better to rely on experience, your experience to be more precise, and use it to inspire me.

So, how do you make your notes and reviews? do you have a rating system or a wall of text to describe the flavor? Do you rate according to flavor notes? Do you categorize your flavors as top, heart, base notes, or have your own unique reviewing system in place?. Any input is helpful.

I tried searching for this topic but i guess it is somewhat overlooked. Again, it would really help out a novice if you share your experience.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I'm not too deep into DIY. I'm not the most organized person when it comes to DIY. I have photocopied recipes which I keep in a folder, and have handwritten notes of the calculations of my particular mixes, but that is about it.

The vast majority of my vape juices are still commercially mixed e-liquids. I began experimenting with DIY just so that I would be prepared for a worse case scenario of flavor bans or over-regulation of commercially prepared juice.

Last edited:

jusu

Jul 18, 2018
I'm not too deep into DIY. I'm not the most organized person when it comes to DIY. I have photocopied recipes which I keep in a folder, and have handwritten notes of the calculations of my particular mixes, but that is about it.

The vast majority of my vape juices are still commercially mixed e-liquids. I began experimenting with DIY just so that I would be prepared for a worse case scenario of over-regulation of commercially prepared juice.
Baditude, Thank you for your input. It's a great strategy what you are doing, i haven't thought of the over-regulating scenario and its implications, but it makes perfect sense. And it's quite refreshing to know that you have your SHTF vaping folder ready to go. You have given me some food for thought.

Thank you.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
It's a great strategy what you are doing, i haven't thought of the over-regulating scenario and its implications, but it makes perfect sense.
With the future of commercially prepared flavored e-liquid being uncertain with possible flavor bans, its wise to be prepared for that scenario even if it doesn't occur. DIY can be an excellent cost saver, too.

Most ingredients for DIY will always be available (Propylene glycol, Vegetable glycerin, Concentrated flavoring agents) as other industries use these ingredients for other applications. Liquid nicotine may be banned by the FDA, so many DIY folks have stockpiled a supply and store it in their freezer.

Last edited:

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
I don't think there is a "wrong" way to set up a records system. The magic is finding what works for you.
What makes sense. What keeps things easy to find. And, what will encourage you to use it.

I know of mixers who use notebooks, index card files, computer spreadsheets or databases, of even combinations thereof. It is all about what fits you best.

For me; it is all done in my e-liquid calculator. It offers the ability to attach notes to both recipes, as well as individual ingredients, separately. In doing this; I can input impressions, potential tweaks, and any other information, as it applies to any given recipe. I can also add/update any thoughts, about a given ingredient, and it carries over to any recipe, I might consider using it in.

As for ratings; I don't put much thought into that. My taste buds are way too fickle... always changing, to get much benefit/consistency from a rating system. What I like this week, may be totally lack-luster (or even downright revolting), the next.

Instead, I prefer to focus on "what" I am tasting, and "why" I am liking it (or disliking it). That way, when I am looking to mix something down the road; I can get a general idea of whether it might interest me again.

VapNMirrors

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2015
currently, Earth
There's an app for that (or rather hundreds across all platforms). I keep everything on my phone, recipes, inventory, variants, versions and notes on each (including on flavorings). Basically a DB I can dump into Excel or sync through the cloud across devices. I like an Android app called Wizzy but there are tons to choose among.

dc99

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 17, 2014
earth
I don't think there is a "wrong" way to set up a records system. The magic is finding what works for you.
What makes sense. What keeps things easy to find. And, what will encourage you to use it.

I know of mixers who use notebooks, index card files, computer spreadsheets or databases, of even combinations thereof. It is all about what fits you best.

For me; it is all done in my e-liquid calculator. It offers the ability to attach notes to both recipes, as well as individual ingredients, separately. In doing this; I can input impressions, potential tweaks, and any other information, as it applies to any given recipe. I can also add/update any thoughts, about a given ingredient, and it carries over to any recipe, I might consider using it in.

As for ratings; I don't put much thought into that. My taste buds are way too fickle... always changing, to get much benefit/consistency from a rating system. What I like this week, may be totally lack-luster (or even downright revolting), the next.

Instead, I prefer to focus on "what" I am tasting, and "why" I am liking it (or disliking it). That way, when I am looking to mix something down the road; I can get a general idea of whether it might interest me again.
I used to keep notes on my calculator till my hard drive crashed and I found out my notes were stored on the computer and not the calculator.

jusu

Jul 18, 2018
Wow so many great replies

flavor description
strength (mix % stand alone and in a mix)
off notes
throat hit 1-10
use (whether stand alone or needs a pairing so on)

dc99, i do something similar now, except i add a mouthfeel comment and future improvements. Thanks. I'm sorry to know that you lost your recipe database, i know the feeling all to well when a drive dies.

IDJoel, you couldn't be more right, that's the point of this post, to learn from the more experienced to see if i can find a way to improve my note taking task and turn it into a system instead of specifying a structure each time i need to make a note.

What i'm doing now is to taste periodically new flavors/recipes at regular intervals (from the mixing date) and take notes of the flavors and how are they maturing, ending with a sequential list of notes for a single flavor/ingredient (5 or 6 notes total), then re-test the component with different VG/PG ratios and do the same (i'm fastidious that way :|) until i get an idea of how the component will behave in different "environments". I compile and condense the notes into a single one in the end, but, because the structure and content of each note is slightly different it takes a fair amount of time.

I know is unrealistic to try and adopt one of the methods listed here by you and everyone else, but i'm hoping to find the spark that shows me how to assemble the puzzle that i have in front of me.

May i ask what's the e-liquid calculator you're using?

Thank you again for your wise words.

There's an app for that (or rather hundreds across all platforms). I keep everything on my phone, recipes, inventory, variants, versions and notes on each (including on flavorings). Basically a DB I can dump into Excel or sync through the cloud across devices. I like an Android app called Wizzy but there are tons to choose among.

Thank you VapNMirrors, the problem i have with these type of software is that you need to do take notes in a specific way, i think most lack flexibility. But maybe there's one out there that does what i need, i'll will keep looking :). Thank you for the suggestion.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
ejuicemeup, plus all the recipes I added were gone.
That really is disappointing!:( JuiceCalculator is all integrated as a single file. But, a hard drive failure would still be catastrophic. That's why I back up to an external hard drive and a 2nd laptop. :)

dc99

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 17, 2014
earth
That really is disappointing!:( JuiceCalculator is all integrated as a single file. But, a hard drive failure would still be catastrophic. That's why I back up to an external hard drive and a 2nd laptop. :)
I need to ask Dave about it. There might be a different way to store them on there just so it doesnt revert back to the way it is when you first load it.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
I compile and condense the notes into a single one in the end, but, because the structure and content of each note is slightly different it takes a fair amount of time.

I know is unrealistic to try and adopt one of the methods listed here by you and everyone else, but i'm hoping to find the spark that shows me how to assemble the puzzle that i have in front of me.
No; you will likely need to find your own combination. But, starting the thread, was a great means to get ideas.:thumb:

From what you shared, it sounds like creating a basic template or form, might be the ticket to achieve the consistency I think I hear you looking for. I don't know how you are keeping your notes (on a computer, on paper, or ???). Setting up a series of bullet points as a text file, or spreadsheet, that you could copy and paste (for computer based record keeping); or create a printable form (if you prefer hand written paper records), might give you the repeatability you want. The way you word the categories/bullet points, could provide the desired easily repeatable format, while leaving your responses loose enough to maintain the flexibility you desire.

Just thinking out loud here... :blush:
May i ask what's the e-liquid calculator you're using?

Thank you again for your wise words.
DIY Juice Calculator (aka. juicecalc, or JC) created by one of our very own ECF members (@HotRod19579). It is fairly similar to E-JuiceMeUp, and Juice Grinder, both of which I have used in the past. It is one of the fullest-featured calcs that I have come across, and it is free. It includes recipe creation, the ability to note both recipes and ingredients, an ingredient locator system, inventory management & tracking, shopping list, steeping (gawd; I hate that word) tracker, label printing and management, and a handful of secondary (and very useful) "simple" calculators (like PG/VG adjustment, flavor adjustment, combining multiple liquids, etc.). With all of that, I am sure I am forgetting half of it.:facepalm:

It is written to be run on Windows, but there are those who use it on Mac, and Linux too (but I am not educated enough to expound on that). There is a dedicated thread on ECF here. You will find a link to the calc download in the first post. Or, you can just go here for his website.

I am glad I can help... you are most welcome. Though, I must say, I am not comfortable with my posts being called "wise." Much is the result of what I have learned from others here, who were kind enough to help me, and put in most of the heavy lifting. And, the rest comes from personal experience... anecdotal at best.:blush:

My way is certainly not the only way to DIY. It is not even the best... not even for me. I still continually change, and adapt, the way I do things. This is why I like calling DIY a journey; it is ever-changing, and I am just glad I got to hitch a ride! :D

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
I need to ask Dave about it. There might be a different way to store them on there just so it doesnt revert back to the way it is when you first load it.
As I understand it (and I could be way off base), each time you hit save, JC overwrites the main/only file with all current data. If that file is backed up to somewhere else (e.g. external hard drive, cloud, etc.); you have a working copy as up to date as the last save. Backup location is set in the options menu. :)

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
trying to pin down a way to make my notes on the flavors and recipes, for the time being it's quite disconnected and lacks in consistency from one note to the next while i evaluate a flavor or recipe.
A typical note: 7.8 Light and airy sweet meringue. Getting cream and meringue mainly. Legs?
Brake down: Scale to date is 6.0 terrible to 8.3 best to date. 7.8 (pretty good) means I like it but I most likely would not want to improve/work with it later.
General comment: Main impression.
You will observe that there is no mention of the main flavor(s). These flavors came through because there is no mention of them in the underlined comment. To attempt to improve, I could remix and increase the primary or main tasting flavors (the ones I initially wanted to accent) or decrease the complimentary flavors (cream and meringue) in order to accent the primaries. If I come to a recipe and see 8.0,1,2 rating, these recipes are left alone and not modified. If I want to improve or accent a 8.0 or better rated recipe main/secondary, the recipe gets its own new descripter with a note back to the original recipe. The new recipe is compared to the 8.0 original recipe.
Defining the mix by it's category and primary (Deserts/chocolate) flavor allows me to sort all recipes and compare them against each other.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I'm old school I scrawl my recipe plans in a notebook and keep all my notes there and how it turned out or needed to be amended, and steeping and everything else and of course there are lots of loose sheets of paper flying around in there, too. It's just BEGGING for me to like, spill a bunch of nic on it or something but I firmly dislike combining technology and DIY because I am messy. LOL.

I suppose I could take the time to enter all that into some sort of computer file or something, but I know me, it will never happen.

I like to support the wood pulp industry, that reminds me now I am going back to work so I gotta get one of those horribly disreputable paper schedulers so that I can use that, LOL, I know my limitations. LOL.

Anna

jusu

Jul 18, 2018
A typical note: 7.8 Light and airy sweet meringue. Getting cream and meringue mainly. Legs?
Brake down: Scale to date is 6.0 terrible to 8.3 best to date. 7.8 (pretty good) means I like it but I most likely would not want to improve/work with it later.
General comment: Main impression.
You will observe that there is no mention of the main flavor(s). These flavors came through because there is no mention of them in the underlined comment. To attempt to improve, I could remix and increase the primary or main tasting flavors (the ones I initially wanted to accent) or decrease the complimentary flavors (cream and meringue) in order to accent the primaries. If I come to a recipe and see 8.0,1,2 rating, these recipes are left alone and not modified. If I want to improve or accent a 8.0 or better rated recipe main/secondary, the recipe gets its own new descripter with a note back to the original recipe. The new recipe is compared to the 8.0 original recipe.
Defining the mix by it's category and primary (Deserts/chocolate) flavor allows me to sort all recipes and compare them against each other.

Wow!, thank you so much for your reply, so many great ideas and so many stuff to digest. I love the idea of the sorting by category / primary, fabulous. How do you deal with the versioning of your derivations/improvement recipes, do you append a number to the title?

Great stuff BrotherBob, Thank you very much.

jusu

Jul 18, 2018
I'm old school I scrawl my recipe plans in a notebook and keep all my notes there and how it turned out or needed to be amended, and steeping and everything else and of course there are lots of loose sheets of paper flying around in there, too. It's just BEGGING for me to like, spill a bunch of nic on it or something but I firmly dislike combining technology and DIY because I am messy. LOL.

I suppose I could take the time to enter all that into some sort of computer file or something, but I know me, it will never happen.

I like to support the wood pulp industry, that reminds me now I am going back to work so I gotta get one of those horribly disreputable paper schedulers so that I can use that, LOL, I know my limitations. LOL.

Anna
Anna, your posts always make me smile :). But i understand you in a way, even though i take data as sacred and need to file it quite neatly, my physical space is less than organized. I like your pragmatical approach, if it works, no need to change it, that's exactly what @IDJoel was saying above and it's the perfect system if it produces results.

Thank you very much for spending some time with me.

jusu

Jul 18, 2018
No; you will likely need to find your own combination. But, starting the thread, was a great means to get ideas.:thumb:

From what you shared, it sounds like creating a basic template or form, might be the ticket to achieve the consistency I think I hear you looking for. I don't know how you are keeping your notes (on a computer, on paper, or ???). Setting up a series of bullet points as a text file, or spreadsheet, that you could copy and paste (for computer based record keeping); or create a printable form (if you prefer hand written paper records), might give you the repeatability you want. The way you word the categories/bullet points, could provide the desired easily repeatable format, while leaving your responses loose enough to maintain the flexibility you desire.

Just thinking out loud here... :blush:
I'm keeping all my data in a database, i'm a programmer so i'm used to making my own tools, it's easier to organize and search, if i were using paper i weren't be able to find anything. Using a template is a great idea, i'm going to try it. The form was what i went with first, but is too restrictive, i have to make things a certain way and being a novice it's always changing, so i scraped it and went with a single note field with a score field attached to my flavors/recipes. But i'm going to use your idea of the templates.

DIY Juice Calculator (aka. juicecalc, or JC) created by one of our very own ECF members (@HotRod19579). It is fairly similar to E-JuiceMeUp, and Juice Grinder, both of which I have used in the past. It is one of the fullest-featured calcs that I have come across, and it is free. It includes recipe creation, the ability to note both recipes and ingredients, an ingredient locator system, inventory management & tracking, shopping list, steeping (gawd; I hate that word) tracker, label printing and management, and a handful of secondary (and very useful) "simple" calculators (like PG/VG adjustment, flavor adjustment, combining multiple liquids, etc.). With all of that, I am sure I am forgetting half of it.:facepalm:

It is written to be run on Windows, but there are those who use it on Mac, and Linux too (but I am not educated enough to expound on that). There is a dedicated thread on ECF here. You will find a link to the calc download in the first post. Or, you can just go here for his website.
I heard about it yes, but i'm using linux, it's a pain to run windows files in linux, maybe i'll try it on my wife's laptop ;).

I am glad I can help... you are most welcome. Though, I must say, I am not comfortable with my posts being called "wise." Much is the result of what I have learned from others here, who were kind enough to help me, and put in most of the heavy lifting. And, the rest comes from personal experience... anecdotal at best.:blush:

My way is certainly not the only way to DIY. It is not even the best... not even for me. I still continually change, and adapt, the way I do things. This is why I like calling DIY a journey; it is ever-changing, and I am just glad I got to hitch a ride! :D

Don't be modest, tell me honestly, in the above quote, where do you stop seeing someone wise? ;)

Thanks Again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread