How long does it take to get used to the throat hit / stop coughing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GinnyTx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2014
Pearland, TX
I had the same situation with coughing when I started, concerning dual use, but that only lasted till I was out of cigs, then went away.Another thing is to consider your inhale technique, directly inhaling to the lungs does not work well for some when vaping, like it did with smoking.

This was a big factor for me...holding it into the mouth sure helped a lot in those early vape days.
thumbsup.gif

Ultra-X

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2013
Memphis, TN, USA
My juice is 100% VG (I kept away from the PG because of the throat hit) - well, except the flavorings (which I got from PA, so they're PG... but I don't think that's enough PG to actually make any kind of difference).

I'm going to try lowering the nic even further. I was vaping around 15mg... honestly now I'm not completely sure where my juices are (just added some VG and a tiny bit of flavoring to make up the difference --- so it should be around 10-11mg now) .
I'll keep toning it down and see if I can find an area that is a little better on my throat. If nothing else, I'll wait a week, stay off the cigarettes for sure... and keep my fingers crossed.
But I might take my juice down to the 6mg-ish range and see how that goes.

It seemed to me like a lot of people started on a higher nic content (24-12mg seems to be the regular range)... and perhaps my stuff is too high anyways since I was smoking half a pack a day of lights... so 15's probably a little high anyways.

I'm sure it's got to be the nicotine content (regular juice does it too), since vaping flavored VG doesn't have the same effect.
But I also have a pretty sensitive throat... so... >_<

---- And thanks for the note about the VV batteries. I have a Ego C-Twist that I absolutely love (always seem to keep it on the lowest voltage because it's much smoother ---- sadly I do not know the current resistance on my coils - but I have some coming in the mail that are 2.2ohmz). I'll have to remember that and start out in the morning with my Twist and go from there. (currently for my tank I have whatever comes standard in the Kanger EVODs)

Hi Quin,
when i started vaping exclusively, was 1/3 pack a day smoker for last year and a half.
I HAD to start at 24 mg dosage probably around 2 mL of liquid a day.
i was using refillable cartomizers for the cigarette look and feel.
since then, i've slightly evolved to vv ego with somewhat lower resistance coils in mini clearos setup and my nicotine dosage has dropped to around 12mg.
As for throat hit, the higher the nic, the more the "hit" though not same as cigarette smoke "hit" - similar but not same.
anyhow, i would just say, watch your nic and you will find your sweet spot though supposedly, the equipment is supposed to vary the nicotine delivery as well - im not too much of a believer in this point yet.
To me, the equipment helps in the "satisfaction" of the vape but i think the nicotine intake is much more based on the nicotine dosage of the joose itself.

Good luck on your conversion!
2 cents.
HAPPY VAPING / BE HEALTHY

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
You think cosmetic grade vg from Walmart is safe to Vape? Not me..

Walmart Humco VG is 99.5% pure VG, USP grade. It's 99.5% rated because, being a humectant, it absorbs 1/2% water from the environment during manufacture. It's widely used by ECF members. It's sold at the cosmetics counter because that's how it's used by non-vapers. It's a skin protectant/moisturizer. If Walmart had a large electronic cigarette department, it would be there.

Walmart Humco Glycerin USP Skin Protectant, 6 oz

Last edited:

HKholic

Verified Member
Jul 12, 2014
Texas
For me...........the a.m. vaping gets me coughing. Like others had mentioned, I find myself turning down the wattage in the mornings and by noonish, it's back up again. On a side note, I never thought that vaping would've turned into buying more toys. Yes I quit smoking analogs and am grateful for that, but the kid in me always wants the cool toys. Now I rationalize each purchase with a "how many packs of cigs is this?".

rc3po

ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2014
Texas
I was just curious if anyone who's quit analogs can answer this question for me?

I noticed with duel use that smoking an analog seemed to make the coughing come back even after I started to get used to the vape.

I just got my WTA juice in and I'm going to give up the analogs and switch completely over to that, but I wanted to know what to expect as to how long it will take for the coughing to stop.
I must admit that I have noticed if I hold the vapor in my mouth for a little bit longer before pulling it into my lungs, the throat hit is pretty much non-existent, but I'm still coughing.

It's not a big deal, it's just I've heard from people that it does go away after awhile, and I was just wondering if I could get an estimate of how long I can expect it to take before my throat gets used to it.

Thanks!

I don't know. I never had any problems with coughing when I switched.

rc3po

ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2014
Texas
My juice is 100% VG (I kept away from the PG because of the throat hit) - well, except the flavorings (which I got from PA, so they're PG... but I don't think that's enough PG to actually make any kind of difference).

I'm going to try lowering the nic even further. I was vaping around 15mg... honestly now I'm not completely sure where my juices are (just added some VG and a tiny bit of flavoring to make up the difference --- so it should be around 10-11mg now) .
I'll keep toning it down and see if I can find an area that is a little better on my throat. If nothing else, I'll wait a week, stay off the cigarettes for sure... and keep my fingers crossed.
But I might take my juice down to the 6mg-ish range and see how that goes.

It seemed to me like a lot of people started on a higher nic content (24-12mg seems to be the regular range)... and perhaps my stuff is too high anyways since I was smoking half a pack a day of lights... so 15's probably a little high anyways.

I'm sure it's got to be the nicotine content (regular juice does it too), since vaping flavored VG doesn't have the same effect.
But I also have a pretty sensitive throat... so... >_<

---- And thanks for the note about the VV batteries. I have a Ego C-Twist that I absolutely love (always seem to keep it on the lowest voltage because it's much smoother ---- sadly I do not know the current resistance on my coils - but I have some coming in the mail that are 2.2ohmz). I'll have to remember that and start out in the morning with my Twist and go from there. (currently for my tank I have whatever comes standard in the Kanger EVODs)

Perhaps you should go see a doctor. You may have other issues.

I stopped as a analogue smoker 1/2 a year ago and changed 100% to e-cig with 70/30 PG/VG liquids on 12mg nicotine. Coughing stopped after 2-3 days.
After one week I had no coughing problems at all.
Now I'm still on the 70/30 liquid but lowered nicotine to 6mg, that's perfect for me (I was smoking cigarettes and cigars for more than 40 years...)

Quin

Jun 9, 2014
Central Oregon, USA
Perhaps you should go see a doctor. You may have other issues.

I already know what's up with my throat. The lymph in the right side of my throat has been pretty well messed up since I was a teenager (a case of mono caused it to swell and pop (so now it's basically just all torn up) - and my throat has never been the same since, always been really sensitive to stuff). There's really no sense in seeing a doctor to sort that out. Docs have seen it, there's nothing that can be done about it - just is what it is (honestly, they saw it and said quitting smoking would probably help since it's irritated from the smoking!).

(On a note, however, the advice everyone is giving has been pretty helpful, my throat is certainly getting used to it, and keeping my Twist on the lowest setting is helping quite a bit)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread