How long does it take to quit e-cigs for good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello. I am just a newbie. I will order my starter kit in a few hours, and I have to wait a few days until I get my e-cigs. I wonder how long I will have to use e-cigs until I am able to go 0 mg of nic. I just want to quit nicotine for good since it is no good for the health. I am a heavy smoker. I smoke around 70 normal cigs a day. I would like to know how many ml I will need to use in my e-cig. Thanks for your invaluable help. Please keep in mind that I am just a newbie desperate to quit nic for good. Thanks in Christ Jesus. Orly

Ember

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2011
Tyler, TX
Hey darlin. What did you decide to order? It's important that you're comfortable while you're quitting.

Let me preface this by saying that I love love love vaping, and have no intention of quitting.

Dropping your nicotine level is such a personal thing that it's difficult for us to give you a timeline. Your body will tell you when the time is right. For example, In the couple of months that I've been at it, I've gone from 24 to 18 to 12 where I've floated comfortably for a few weeks now. But that's been my personal journey. May yours be as easy as mine has been!

All the best, and good luck!
<3
E.

Pipeous

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2011
Surrey, BC, Canada
www.madpro.ca
you know, I've started high, gone down in nic, then back up. Now 4 months away from analogs, and i am trying to make my mind up now to just stop vaping. start with a high nic. you smoke like I did. I vaped copious amounts my first week off analogs. remember there will still be some withdrawals... but it's nowhere near as bad as cold turkey. 28-32mg nic to start and you'll actually feel something. and a strong flavour helps. I added licorice flavour to my mixes and that gave it bite. some like menthol.

be strong and fight through those first 3 days or so, after that it's a breeze. then you decide when you feel you are done. we had this discussion tonight. a band promoter (smoker) my non smoking lead guitarist and myself. rather funny since we were pounding pitchers back after the hockey game AND talking business (note to self, I have to do the booking discussions from now on haha, phew beer and business makes bad partnerships).

I feel great, 30 yr smoker, 4 months off and no desire to touch a death stick again in my life. I think you'll know when YOU are ready to give it all up.

Thanks, Ember, for your reply. I have decided to order T-Rex Carto Deluxe since I am a heavy smoker. I smoke around 70 normal cigs a day. I understand that quitting is a personal journey. I just want to have an idea. How long did it take you to go from 24 mg to 12 mg? Besides that, I would like to know how long it will take me to get used to e-cigs. Thanks in Christ Jesus. Orly

MickG33

Mar 21, 2011
australia
I started on 18 mg and after 2 weeks went straight to zero nic for a month, once you get through the 3 days of cold turkey your fine. I now for the last 6 months vape nic juice twice a week when i drink, for the rest of the time i vape no nic, and on average 2 days a week dont vape at all.

You need to walk a fine line with nic if i use it 3 times in a week i wiil go through slight cold turkey again. Could i give it away altogether sure, do i want to, nope, enjoy it too much. At least for the last 6 months i am not addicted to nic, and i enjoy not having to have it.

Critter Man

ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2010
Minnesota
Critter Man, they told me that I need between 4 to 5 ml a day. Do you think that it is correct. Thanks.

It depends on how high the nicotine level is, you'll need less liquid if there is more nicotine in it. 4 to 5 mL seems right, though. There are many others who would know better than I. I am still fairly new at this.

CraigHB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2010
Reno, Nevada
I smoked like you orly1777, about 70 a day, maybe even 80 if I was at my desk all day and night.

I started with 24mg, then went to 18mg pretty quick for a couple weeks. I've been hanging around at 10mg since. I vape about 8ml a day, but I'm a very heavy vaper. You'll likey use around 5ml with a stronger juice. That's typical for a heavy smoker, but everyone is different. I've seen light smokers use 36mg and I've seen heavy smokers like myself use 10mg. It just depends on what works for you.

I think you'll find that once you get weaned off the analogs, you'll find it relatively easy to drop your nic. I vape 0mg on occasion and it does not result in any discomfort. Some people on the forum here claim that nicotine is no worse than caffine once you are no longer dependant on the other chemicals they put in cigs. Some are are addictive in themselves and others they add to enhance the effect of nicotine. I totally agree with that based on what I've experienced.

The big hurdle is the first few weeks. After that, you can comfortably give up the nic. Though, it may be hard to quit vaping because it satisifies the smoking experience. That's something a smoker never fully parts from. Personally, I have zero problem with vaping the rest of my life. It may not be perfectly harmless, but it's orders of magnitude safer than smoking.

bwood12043

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2008
East Texas
Hey darlin. What did you decide to order? It's important that you're comfortable while you're quitting.

Let me preface this by saying that I love love love vaping, and have no intention of quitting.

Dropping your nicotine level is such a personal thing that it's difficult for us to give you a timeline. Your body will tell you when the time is right. For example, In the couple of months that I've been at it, I've gone from 24 to 18 to 12 where I've floated comfortably for a few weeks now. But that's been my personal journey. May yours be as easy as mine has been!

All the best, and good luck!
<3
E.

Ember, glad to see another East Texas here ! I see you are in Tyler, I am out on Lake Palestine !

Happy Vaping !

Craig, I am worry about getting used to vaping. People have told me that there are withdrawal symptons too, just like when somebody quit smoking cold turkey. I am really worry about the withdrawal symptons. Maybe I will get used quckly, but nobody knows how my body will react. Thanks a lot, Craig. Thanks in Christ Jesus. Orly

CraigHB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2010
Reno, Nevada
Well, you don't hear about people that quit vaping because they don't hang around on these forums anymore. I imagine it would be much easier to quit vaping than smoking. I know that when I was a smoker, if I was somewhere I couldn't smoke, I'd be looking for a way to go sneak one in every chance I could get. With vaping, when I'm somewhere I can't vape, I sometimes go several hours before realizing I haven't vaped for some time.

No the quit and going to e-cigs is not like cold turkey. You are getting the addictive edge from e-cigs.
It is a transition, but not a cold turkey experience.
You have something in your hand.
You have the addictive component
You have smoke (actually vapor).

So it solves most of the transitional issues...Physical and mental.
They are not exactly like cigs. You will need to get the balance of nic right, you will need to get a satisfactory flavor. and you will need to get equipment and stock in place to have on hand at all times.

I use a KR808D-1 and also have 510 models. Great cig sized units, which is what you want to emulate.
And as far as getting off the nic. The nic isn't the dangerous component of smoking, and there shouldn't be a hurry in getting off of it. Make sure ypu are off of the cigs for a long time before even cutting back on the nic. It took you many years to get addicted, what's another year to get off the nic (if desired). This isn't a race. It's a transition you need to get comfortable with. Getting off the nic too fast could cause you to relapse back to cigs.

So slow and easy.

In Christ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread