How long does it take to quit e-cigs for good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CES

optimistic cynic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2010
Birmingham, Al
I'd suggest starting with transitioning from smoking to just using the e-cigs. For some people it's a fast transition, for other it takes a bit longer. Everyone is different. Once you're comfortable with not smoking, then you can worry about decreasing the nicotine (if you still want to).

The majority of health effects from smoking (and the symptoms that can occur when when quitting smoking) are due to the smoke and the 4000+ chemicals in the smoke, not the nicotine.

That said, I know two people who used vaping to stop smoking, and then stopped vaping. It took one person 6 months, and the other about two weeks. I have decreased my nicotine over time, but only because my tolerance for nic has gone down over time. :)

I hope your vaping journey goes smoothly whatever you decide to do

Research it, friend.
It is not a cancer causing agent like smoke, but it is addictive. It has similar effects like coffee, and is a stimulant, but no doubt it can be trouble getting off of it. Don't take on two issues at once.
1. Quitting the smoking habit.
2. Fighting an addiction.

There are actually some good things about nicotine for you, but if you have heart issues or high blood pressure, it isn't the best thing, but either is the nic in cigs.
If you have medical issues, consult a doctor. If not, it won't be harmful to transition over to a nic in a differing format...e-cigs.

God Bless.

hisfattness

ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2011
CT
I started at 26mg. after 2 months i went down to 18. my next order will be 12 or 16. even though i'm still using nicotine i feel much better and my body notices that i'm not smoking real cig's. The only thing is i actually enjoy vaping. So for me i'm not in a huge rush to get all the way off of it. But also the day i got it i put down the real smokes and haven't picked one up since.

bwood12043

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2008
East Texas
orly, congrats on your decision to get started vaping ! I don't think you will regret it.

I too was a heavy heavy smoker, over 3 packs per day, but many of those burned up in the ashtray at the computer, so....

Anyway, I started out using high nicotine juices, mostly 36mg. I still like the high content juice most of the time, but do have some lower nic juice for when I want it. I use about 6-8ml per day, sometimes more but that mostly due to dripping and having a little leakage from overfilling at times so I am really not getting that much internally.

I have started DIY, when I make my own juice, I can control the nic content more or less like sliding scale insulin. Change the nic level through the day. I make a bottle of 36mg and a bottle of 8mg, and then use a small 3ml bottle to use during the day, that way I can fill that bottle starting with the stronger in the morning when I need it the most and then diluting it during the day until I have really low at night before sleep. Sounds complicated but it's really not and it works for me.

However, if I were to advise you, it would be this. Don't worry too much about the nic level at this point, as long as it's higher end, like 24mg-36mg, you should be OK until you get used to the device, then you can start adjusting, and that time frame is different for all of us.

The "quit" time is also different for all. Although that timeframe can be effected by determination, it is usually more dependent on getting the right device for YOU, and the right juice for YOU ! I found that starting with a tobacco flavor worked for a while, but as I progressed down this road to the vaping adventure, I wanted other flavors, or other flavors added to the tobacco. Some fruits, like cherry and strawberry can be nice additives to tobacco flavors, as can vanilla, chocolate and coffee, and the liquors, like brandy and rum. As I started adding these to my tobacco flavors, I found that eventually I wanted less of the tobacco flavor and more of the variety. These taste preferences take some time to develop so don't worry too much for now and try not to put yourself on some timeline.

The main thing is to start vaping, the rest will come as you find what appeals to you and you build your inventory of supplies.

Good luck to you and welcome to the vaping community.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread