How long did it take before you quit smoking analogs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I am curious to know how long it took to fully kick analog cigarettes and/or get to no nicotine in your juice completely?

I have been a smoker for over twenty years and switched to e-cigs about three weeks ago. For the first three days I used analog cigs (though only about 3 a day compared to over a pack a day) as well as the e-cig, but since then I have been completely on the e-cig. I am working my way down from 1.8% nic to hopefully 0 nic and I am just wondering how long others have gone before quitting analogs or making it to 0 nic?

Just want to say that I am really excited about all of this. I have tried so many times to quit but never could. with e-cigs and vaping I really think I can finally kick the habit.

I still smoked an occassional cigarette up to about a month after I started using disposable cigalikes;

then I switched to 0 nic for a few months although I did keep a small tank with 24mg nic in it at home for an occasional drag.

I basically vape at 6mg now.

rico942

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
Carlsbad, CA
2 packs a day for 46 years ...

I guess I quit in three days too, but those were the 3 days after having two molars extracted, smoking was too painful. I tried a few times, felt like someone was driving a railroad spike into my jawbone ... :shock:

Cigalikes got me through until delivery of my first 510 kit ...

My natural revulsion for tobacco returned quickly, although I refuse to be a "born again" non-smoker ...

Vaping makes me feel better, not superior ... :D

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Been vaping for 7 weeks now. Been smoking 1 to 3 a day. 1 for the past few days. Too insecure to give them up. But today is my first day with out one and I think I am going to make it.

Don't Say "I think".

You Can Do this.

Bite your Lip and Yell at the Top of Your Lungs "Damn Right I Going to Make It!"

:)

Glinda

ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2014
United States
I thought that I was quitting yesterday, until I realized that I needed to fully charge both batteries that came with my starter kit. Doh! Still, I went for 7 hours without smoking until both batteries went kaput, so I'm proud of myself for that anyhow. Today has been smooth sailing, and I'm confident I won't be lighting up again.

Dom NY

ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2013
New York
I smoked cigarettes since the age of 12, an average of 30 Marlboro Reds per day. I had no intention of quitting. What motivated me to start vaping was a change of assignment at work, causing me to move to a new location where I could no longer smoke in my office.
In 2007, a friend of mine let me try the ecigarette and I thought it was gross. So, upon moving to the new place, I reluctantly decided to try the disposable eLogic brand, doubting I'd like it. I was really surprised, finding that the eLogic wasn't bad at all. Right after that, I went online and found a ton of information about vaping, and bought a Zmax with some eliquid. I found Phil Busardo's YouTube videos very helpful. I was satisfied with vaping while at work, and smoking afterwards, with no intention of quitting cigarettes.
After about nine months of vaping, I no longer had a desire to smoke cigarettes, so I quit. Out of the blue, just like that, with no effort. I haven't had a cigarette in about three months now, and don't crave them. I was surprised that I don't crave cigarettes even when drinking!
The success can be attributed to the evolution of eliquids and equipment currently available. The eliquids have improved so much that I enjoy them more than smoking. The equipment available is able to give the user a better experience than smoking an actual cigarette.
So, after smoking one to two packs of Marlboro Reds every day for over twenty-five years, I quit without even trying (or wanting to) simply by vaping for nine months. I'm glad I quit smoking, and plan on continuing vaping. Its something I really enjoy, and has developed into a bit of a "hobby" for me.

Bionicunderwear

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2014
Springville, Utah, United States
I smoked the day before I started vaping. In the morning I vaped and never went back. Of course I am only about a month into
it and occassionally when cleaning the house like a mad woman, I get the craving to go out on the porch and smoke my brains out.
When that happens, I just vape my brains out on something strong. :0

Dedra

Verified Member
Apr 21, 2014
Effingham, IL USA
I pulled into the local discount tobacco shop with the intentions of buying a carton of cigarettes. I left with two ecigs and two bottles of juice and two packs of cigs, 'just in case'.

I smoked my last analog on 4/12 and none since. I will never go back to that nasty, smelly habit. NEVER. I passed by a group of smokers on the sidewalk at Wally-hell and the stink drove me clear into the parking lot. Gross!

I should say, though--I loved smoking. Every aspect of it, from opening the pack to pulling out the first analog, the flare of the match, the heat of the smoke drifting into my lungs...every thing about it. Now, I don't remember what was so attractive, at all.

Keep telling yourself that with every day you don't smoke analogs, you're getting healthier. So much tar and poison in those things!

csardaz

ECF Veteran
May 29, 2014
Pennsylvania
I smoked 30 years, been smoking a carton (10 packs) a week for the last 15 years or so. I quit 6 times - 5-50 days each time. This time I got 2 disposable e-cigs when I bought my last carton of analogues. The E-cigs made me cough at first and did not 'hit' as quickly as the analogues. By the time I was down to that last pack of analogues I had used up one of the disposables and was just starting the second. I put on a medium strength nic patch leftover from an earlier quit attempt and stretched that last pack out a few days using the e-cig more and more.

Next trip to the smoke shop - instead of a carton of analogues I said show me a rechargeable E-cig as good or better than these disposeables. I wore patches 5 or 6 days till I'd used them all and haven't had an analogue since - just vapour. Did have some times when the e-cig didn't seem enough - especially right after I ran out of patches. Since I've ordered 2.4% juice in place of the 1.8% pre-filled carts they have at the store - the 2.4% do the trick as well as the analogues do.

Its been 8 weeks; 7 weeks since the patches - possibly I could get by with 1.8%'s now and taper down? But to my eye If the Nicotine is the key - why not 6 hits of strong vapour for $0.60 instead of 10 hits of a weaker vapour for $1.00? The weezing, coughing are gone, there were some bouts of gas and heartburn from stopping the smoke. Cost seems the only reason left to quit completely. Maybe someday I will but I think when the stuff hits the fan I'll be looking for a vape instead of a smoke.

LilaRox

Verified Member
May 1, 2014
United States
First let me quality myself: I am 36, smoked for 25 yrs, 24 yrs full time, and 1-3 pks/day for last 10 yrs. Sad to say but smoking is type of "culture" in my family, so quitting was more than just giving up smokes, it's about changing life as the way I know it. I made up my mind to quit smoking and was lucky because my husband quit 3 months prior with e-cigs, so he already went through the learning process of vaping for us. When I decided to quit, I smoked myself stupid finishing the last pack before bed, went to bed, woke up the next day and used the ecig. My mindset may be slightly different than some though, because when I quit smoking, I quit smoking. I didn't say "I'm switching to vaping". That wouldn't have worked for me. Not the same, not a substitute, but more of a bonus helper thats what vaping is to me. I still crave cigarettes, but its only been 6 weeks. Albeit, it is getting better. That said I make/made sure I don't run out of my cessation aids, i.e. e-cig with power, sunflower seeds, candy, and gum. Good Luck.

Vicman

ECF Veteran
Jun 6, 2014
Chicago
I didn't start vaping to quit. I started cause I wanted to try something different after 27 years of smoking. With that being said, I went from 2+ packs a day down to a pack every 2-3 days within the first month. Within 3 months I quit analogs completely. Had the last on Jan 03 and never had an urge since. I have dropped from 24 mg to between 18-12 mg now. I just love the fact that I quit on accident; still blows my mind at times.

ChurchMouse

Apr 24, 2014
Illinois
After smoking 1 1/2 - 2 packs a day for about 27 years I started vaping last October with the 650 evod starter kit. The equipment was fine. The idea I clung to that I "had" to use tobacco flavored liquid to quit was not. No tobacco juice is exactly like a cig, and every time I used it I just craved the real thing more.

I "gave" myself an order of a few candy and fruit juices plus cinnamon roll for Christmas and had my last cig right around New Years when it hit me just how nasty they taste and smell compared to my new juice! Haven't touched a cig or a tobacco flavor since.

Once I realized it was going to work for me I upgraded to spinners with mini pt2s, and then an MVP and full size protank 2 on an aerotank base. I'm planning to pick up a vv v3 pretty soon then start saving for DIY supplies and learning how to rebuild my kanger coils.

Zero nic isn't an immediate goal for me. I'm down from 24 mg to 12 and happy where I'm at...for now anyway.

Don't worry too much about dropping nic levels fast. Get off and stay off the cigs for a while first, then drop as you see fit. The #1 and most critical goal is doing what you need to stay away from the stinkies!

amoret

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2013
Sharon, ND, USA
I smoked for over 40years. It did take me a couple of weeks to completely quit, for several reasons. The first was that since I know myself fairly well, I knew that pressuring myself or setting deadlines wasn't the way to do it. The other one was that it took me that long to find some liquids that I really liked, and to figure out that 18 mg wasn't enough nicotine for me.

Again, knowing myself, it has been very important to me to never say never. Instead I am happy to allow that there may be times when I want to have a cigarette, and if I do smoke one or to it is not the end of the world. After that first couple of weeks I haven't wanted or needed to smoke, but saying never is a really bad idea for me.

AthensGa

ECF Veteran
Nov 17, 2013
Athens, GA USA
It took me about 3 days to stop smoking. It wasn't the smoking that I had trouble with so much as it was the "break" between activities. Since my husband and I don't smoke in the house, it became a habit to do a task then take a break and smoke, and then do another task. He still hasn't managed to make the switch. I don't think I've seen him take a puff of his PV at all today. I'm about ready to take "his" battery back again since he's not using the darn thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread