How long I should wait after soaking a new wick to take a hit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Given how easy it is to make sure the wick is soaked before mounting back on the tank, I haven't found a need to let it sit to "prime". I've sorta already done that when I built it. It's not really the same as a factory coil, where the cotton is densely packed and you really need to be sure it's fully saturated before vaping on it.

Reactions: David Wolf

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
As many have stated waiting is not the only way to prime a coil. I make sure to saturate the cotton and do a slight momentary preheat so to speak and no power pulls. I have even flooded a coil and blew backwards to push the e-Liquid thru the coil. When you don't have the time to let things occur naturally you find a way and just screwing in a new coil does always work well enough even with an overnight soak. Just my opinion from hurried coil changes.

BoilerGuy

Unresolved Status
Sep 13, 2016
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

LMP

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2010
SLC Utah
Because it would be smaller in diameter then an un soaked wick so you could use more wicking material. When you use a dry wick it should be small enough to go through the coil without any drag because if you make the wick to big capillary action won't pull the juice through it. It seems if the wick is already soaked one could assume that since the juice is already in the wick that it's got space in it for the juice to occupy.

I know this all sounds pretty wacky, it's just something I've been pondering.

Ben85

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2014
Kent, UK
Because it would be smaller in diameter then an un soaked wick so you could use more wicking material. When you use a dry wick it should be small enough to go through the coil without any drag because if you make the wick to big capillary action won't pull the juice through it. It seems if the wick is already soaked one could assume that since the juice is already in the wick that it's got space in it for the juice to occupy.

I feel you are trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist. What is wrong with wetting cotton afterwards?

Saturated cotton is not smaller than dry for starters. And you would have to get it cut to length before it was even in the coil. Plus, it would be a bit of a mess.

Reactions: Tomasius74

ShowerHead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2014
Massachusetts
A leftover from my days of STM coils.
I saturate the cotton after trimming and placing it for the tank.
I fill the tank and take no power hits for around a minute.
That's it.
Is it necessary? Likely not as the wick has been saturated. But, as a side effect, I know if the tank is flooded or otherwise not wicked well before applying power.

Alaria13

Jan 23, 2017
I use organic cotton for my wicks, and I was wondering how long I should wait after soaking a new wick with juice before I take a hit?
I don't tend I use drippers, but I did have one for a short period of time. When I did, I normally soaked the cotton pretty well and waited about a minute or two before taking a hit

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon

I feel you are trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist. What is wrong with wetting cotton afterwards?

Saturated cotton is not smaller than dry for starters.
That's right, cotton expands when wet, but it might be something to consider when using rayon, which does contract a little bit. I don't really have a problem getting "enough" rayon in though, either; some people say "use more than you would even think would be possible" but to me, that's overkill. I do pack it a little tighter than with regular organic cotton, but still not so tight I can't get it through the coil.

And you would have to get it cut to length before it was even in the coil.
What, you can't cut wet cotton?

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I don't really wait. I just saturate the coil and wick heavily on top and bottom and across the coil before screwing the chimney back on. I try to cut the wick ends a little long in a Kayfun so that I can get the wick pushed up against the upper ends of the coil on each side to prevent hot legs.

Wick that's too tight will lead to coil starvation. Too loose and you get hot spots in the coil. For me, the optimum wick size is one that's lightly compressed by rolling it between my fingers and will still fit through the coil without bending the coil legs. I wet my fingers and roll the end to compress it before inserting it into the coil, then I twist the wick as I pull it through so that I don't pull the coil out of line. The spirals of the coil tend to drive it through and the end result is just a little tuft sticking up on each side of the coil after I wet the wick thoroughly.

I'd like to say I like Rayon, but I've never had success with it. Koh Gen Do cotton is my favorite. Rayon has never produced the same flavor for me. Maybe I'm doing it wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread