How many of you moved slowly to 0% with time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
I am leery of dropping my nic to soon. Maybe after a year passes.

I think if you wait long enough to get the cigarettes out of your system dropping the nicotine is much easier. Maybe even longer than a year. No pressure is good (unless there's a medical reason).

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Over the course of about 6 years, I've dropped my nic from 18 mg down to 3 or 6 mg. I've tried to use 0 nic, but I didn't enjoy vaping that. The dropping of the nic level was a "natural" progression and the type of hardware I was using.

I might add that it was never my intention to go to 0 nic or to ever quit vaping altogether. I vape as a safer alternative to smoking.

Kodak

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2015
Missouri...or the state of Misery.
First off, I smoked for over 30 years, so when I first started vaping about 3 1/2 years ago, I started at a 24 mg. Dropped to a 12 mg 6 months later and dropped to a 9mg at the 1 year mark. Stayed there for a year and a half, dropped to a 6 mg. Stayed at a 6 mg for another year, got my first sub ohm tank and dropped to a 3 mg in those tanks. So currently I'm at a 3 mg or a 6 mg depending on my tank and the coil I put in it. I don't see myself stepping down for quite awhile (at least not til I use the nicotine I have stashed in my freezer :D)

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
It's funny, with the med change I instantly went from 18mg (I quit with 11mg, it was hard getting to 18mg and I stayed there for 3 years) to 9mg cutting all my liquids in half. No increase. After I was about halfway through my liquids I cut them to 4mg. No increase. Then when they were used up 0mg about doubled my liquid intake.

There's never been any withdrawal symptoms other than 0mg makes my intake go up.

The difference for me was that I started with a Joye 510 pen vape followed by a larger eGo cartridge fill pen. The novelty of vaping those at 24mg made me forget about my cigs without even noticing. It was a week or two before I realized that I was ignoring my cigarettes and vaping far more than smoking.

I could have quit completely the first month vaping, but when I bought a Provari a year later I decided that I was not going to buy another pack. That was the deal I made with myself. I spent all my cigarette money on vaping after that and never looked back.

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
I started at 24mg seven years ago, dropped progressively to 18 then 12 over the first two years. I've been steady at 9mg since, low wattage, about 9ml per day. I have no intention of dropping my nic further as I like the cognitive and health benefits at 61.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I think if you wait long enough to get the cigarettes out of your system dropping the nicotine is much easier. Maybe even longer than a year. No pressure is good (unless there's a medical reason).

Agree. The cool part is that you can give a try with lower nic and see if you get withdrawal symptoms. Keep that bottle around and vape it here and there to see what happens. In my case, it was nic or no nic. I dropped from 24mg/ml to 3mg/ml in a couple of months and never looked back. For some that may be too quick. For me vaping was more something to do with my hands that resembled smoking. I smoked Merit Ultra Lights for years before vaping. I used to be a Red Marlboro 2 PAD guy. Going first to the ultra lights may have been a factor.

Last edited:

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Agree. The cool part is that you can give a try with lower nic and see if you get withdrawal symptoms. Keep that bottle around and vape it here and there to see what happens. In my case, it was nic or no nic. I dropped from 24mg/ml to 3mg/ml in a couple of months and never looked back. For some that may be too quick. For me vaping was more something to do with my hands that resembled smoking. I smoked Merit Ultra Lights for years before vaping. I used to be a Red Marlboro 2 PAD guy. Going first to the ultra lights may have been a factor.

I did that with a tank to get up to 18mg. A tank of 11mg, a tank of 18mg. Early on I did the same with 0mg. But now if the Dr's say to not use nicotine and I feel like humoring them I can do an instant switch.

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
It's not the doctors as much as the FDA recently changing the issue to "nicotine addiction" as they can't continue to claim vaping is possibly worse than smoking as more information comes out. For me, the benefits of nicotine outweigh any negatives and I continue to see it as about as bad for you as caffeine.

Last edited:

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
I am leery of dropping my nic to soon. Maybe after a year passes. To be quite honest, I'm glad I haven't put pressure on myself to do so. I never even thought I would get to VAPING alone, and I'm just enjoying the ride so far. I'm satiated and satisfied, I don't quite see the point as of yet (especially given nic has benefits, too, and many of those benefits run in my family.

I certainly understand that. The big issue (for me at least, and you and many others as well it seems) is getting away from the cigarettes. I needed at least 24 if not higher to get away from them. Then I settled in at 24 for a few years before I even thought about lowering it, and even then it was as much about curiosity as anything else. I was really surprised at how easy it was then, but I think if I'd tried it too early I might have started craving cigs again and that was not somewhere I wanted to go.

tgs3

ECF Veteran
Aug 3, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Very interesting thread. After smoking for 45+ years I started at 24mg and stayed there for about 5 months. If I had known that 36mg was available I would have started there. In January, I dropped to 18. In March to 15mg. I now only order 12mg. I actually received a bottle of 0 nic liquid as a freebee and 18mg of the same juice also. I now mix 50:50 in one of my mods. Dropping the nic level after getting the analogs out of my system has been surprisingly easy.

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
It appears many vapers who couldn't stop smoking until they began vaping are able to drop their nic level pretty easily. pretty ironic now that the FDA is targeting "addictive nicotine" as the problem. Seems there's much more dependency on the other chemicals in cigarettes that kept us hooked.

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
It appears many vapers who couldn't stop smoking until they began vaping are able to drop their nic level pretty easily. pretty ironic now that the FDA is targeting "addictive nicotine" as the problem. Seems there's much more dependency on the other chemicals in cigarettes that kept us hooked.

I think you have a point there, although nicotine does seem to be part of it. What I'm finding fascinating is the number of people who have dramatically reduced their nicotine but not quite made it to zero. I'm wondering how much of that has to do with determination. I really wanted to quit smoking, but I don't have the same desire to eliminate nicotine. I guess it would be good, but I just don't feel strongly enough about it to bother trying again. I don't even know why it didn't work the first time. I wasn't craving nicotine; I just thought adding a bit back in would be nice.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
What I'm finding fascinating is the number of people who have dramatically reduced their nicotine but not quite made it to zero.

I was amazed how easy it was this last time for cervical fusion (5 years of no smoking). It was instant. Because it was for surgery and I only had 2 weeks from seeing the surgeon to having a date and only for 3 months I just mixed some 0mg and set the nicotine aside.
Last time it was 3-4 years after I quit smoking and I spent so much time cutting my liquids down because it doubled the amount of liquid I had to go through when I went from 18mg to 9mg and then 9mg to 4.5mg it felt like I was tapering so I wasn't sure if it was as easy as it seemed.

I wasn't craving nicotine; I just thought adding a bit back in would be nice.

It does liven up the flavor, even just 3mg. 0mg is bland. 0mg unflavored is almost like vaping nothing.

Nailz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jun 6, 2013
    Wichita, KS
    Started on 18mg just over 5 years ago, stayed at the 18 for about a year, then over the next year dropped all the way down to 3mg, and that is what I have settled at, I did try 0mg, but seemed to effect flavor too, so went back to 3mg with no intentions of changing anytime soon.

chellie

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 24, 2014
    USA
    I have thought about it but it has not been a pressing priority. Started at around 50 now down to 3. There are some qualifiers though - I was using different equipment and not subohming. I felt it a little bit going from 15-12 and a bit from 6 to 3. I still take in a decent amount of nic because I chain vape but I would do that at a high or low nic level so I am better off at a low one.

I try to drop sometimes to 1.5 to 2 and I would like to eventually get to 0 but there is no hurry for me. I do agree that there is no taste at 0 but maybe if I go slowly like I have been I will get used to it ---- eventually!

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread