Status
Not open for further replies.

nocigsnomore

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2014
Land of Oz
Hi there!

A bit concerned when I insert my batteries into the charger and they snap into place because the of the spring in the bay is strong and they slip out of my fingers. Even more concerned if I drop one on the floor, but that has happened only once.

Got super worried when I got my new faux hybrid and pressed the button without a tank on it and the battery touched the metal and made sparks. That VTC5 is outdoors now awaiting to be taking to the recycling facility.

Reactions: zoiDman

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Hi there!

A bit concerned when I insert my batteries into the charger and they snap into place because the of the spring in the bay is strong and they slip out of my fingers. Even more concerned if I drop one on the floor, but that has happened only once.

Got super worried when I got my new faux hybrid and pressed the button without a tank on it and the battery touched the metal and made sparks. That VTC5 is outdoors now awaiting to be taking to the recycling facility.
I posted this video in a couple of places already. This thread is another good place. The resident battery guru Mooch is answering questions about battery safety. Some important things were clarified for me.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Hi there!

The danger with charger insertion and removal is nicking the outer wrap. The positive end of the wrap covers the outer case, which is the negative terminal. It's easy to break the part around the positive terminal when you insert or remove the battery. Once that happens, the contact in the mod can short across the positive terminal and the case when you insert or remove.

My fingers are usually dry. I have to wet them a little to restore grip for batteries. They do slip and sometimes damage the wrap. That usually happens when you remove them.

Inspect the wraps often to detect cracks in the positive end of the wrap. It's easy to replace a battery wrap using a hair dryer and restore safety to the cell. Most online vendors carry battery wraps in various colors for about 15 cents each.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread