How much do you really save??

Status
Not open for further replies.

singu

ECF Veteran
Nov 1, 2011
Croatia-Zagreb
I'm just curious how much money diy really saves you compared to buy pre mixed e liquid??

And if yu buy pg based nicotine do you still need to purchase pure pg??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

You can save a lot if you keep your flavourings purchases within reason (not true for me..i always go crazy when flavor shopping).

It depends on the final PG/VG ratio you want.

Last edited:

Davinna

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 13, 2013
Central Il, USA
I haven't done a cost calculation yet on a per/ml basis. But, for about $35 dollars you can get 60 ml of nicotine, 250ml of PG, 250 ml of VG and 3 flavorings (to make an RY blend). That should make over 30 15ml bottles of a 60PG/40VG blend.

That's if you just stay bare bones. Me personally, I've been heavily investing in flavors and still a bit in the whole compared to if I had just bought pre-mixed. But I'm having fun playing 'mad scientist'. If it keeps me from smoking analogs, why not? Plus I supply my brother and his wife with juices, they are really strapped for cash. So they are spending no money on juices :)

CommaHolly

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Plant City, FL
it costs me 1.26 to make a 50ml bottle of my favorite single flavor omg nic,,,,,,,,it takes me about 3 days to vape that,,,,,,,

so 42 cents a day. Of course, that's omg nic,,,,,,I no longer vape nic,,,,

when I make my daughter nic juice, it costs 2.21 for a 50ml bottle that lasts her at least a week or more,,,,,,,,32 cents a day.

I buy my PG by the gallon at Tractor Supply (24.00),,,,,,,my VG in 177ml bottles at Walmart for 3.87, my flavoring in 120ml bottles (12.87) at RTS,,,,,,,,,,and my nic also at RTS for 8.95 for 60ml (lasts forever with only one of us vaping nic),,,,,,,

Now, if you use 6 different flavors, that cost will go up slightly,,,,,,,,if you experiment a lot with flavors, that can add a lot of cost,,,,,,but we vape a few simple fruit flavors and DD also vapes some peppermint menthol,,,,,easy peasy and wicked cheap.

Wingsfan0310

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2013
Flat Rock, MI, USA
I think in the long run you can save quite a bit. For instance, I spent about $200 on my DIY startup which included:
1. Gallon of PG
2. Gallon of VG
3. 500ml of 100mg Nic
4. 30 Flavors
5. Syringes and Glass Bottles
Now if I was buying Halo for example at $20 per 30ml that would be 10 bottles or 300ml of juice. I figure I can conservatively make 3000ml at 12-18mg Nic, E-Juice. But I'm sure I'll pick up more flavors - I have my eye on 20 more as I type lol

The real thing is unless you enjoy the journey as much as getting to the destination, I wouldn't recommend going the DIY route. I actually have fun experimenting and creating different flavors, not everyone would. If you don't enjoy playing mad scientist (and it really helps to be good in math imo), your probably not going to enjoy it and I think your chance at success will be greatly diminished. Hope this helps - Vape on!!! :vapor:

Cheers,
Steve

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Depending on where you buy your mixing gear and considering the initial start up cost the savings is substantial if you continue to mix your own juices. But if you loose interest and discontinue mixing shortly after you start then figuring in the initial start up cost it can be costly. I've been mixing almost a year and don't lay out much for supplies any longer. So if I were to calculate what it cost me today having already recovered my start up cost it would be on average $2.20 per 30ml which is a substantial savings and I have control over what I put in my body.

tgardner23

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 7, 2012
nebraska
Can I ask you a good vendor to buy all things from in one stop I knew wizards lab is very popular I was just wondering other place. I also read a lot of people buy a lot of supplies at wal mart or other stores. I know for flavoring most people use perfume apprentice and lorann

QUOTE=dannyv45;11545775]Depending on where you buy your mixing gear and considering the initial start up cost the savings is substantial if you continue to mix your own juices. But if you loose interest and discontinue mixing shortly after you start then figuring in the initial start up cost it can be costly. I've been mixing almost a year and don't lay out much for supplies any longer. So if I were to calculate what it cost me today having already recovered my start up cost it would be on average $2.20 per 30ml which is a substantial savings and I have control over what I put in my body.[/QUOTE]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
Can I ask you a good vendor to buy all things from in one stop I knew wizards lab is very popular I was just wondering other place. I also read a lot of people buy a lot of supplies at wal mart or other stores. I know for flavoring most people use perfume apprentice and lorann

https://www.ecigexpress.com/

E Cig eGo, E juice, Mods, Cartomizers, Liquid Nicotine, DIY Flavorings

DIY Concentrated Flavorings - Flavour Art Flavorings - MyFreedomSmokes.com

Perfumers Apprentice - The Flavor Apprentice - World of Flavors

Just to name a few

RaymondK

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 15, 2013
GTA, Canada
www.ezigcan.com
Yes I think the start up cost can be crazily expensive and I agreed with Danny. If you decide not to continue with DIY after a while, then it does not worth the try. However it all goes back to if you don't try, then how would one knows if he wants to continue or not. DIY can be quite frustrating and intimidating at the beginning and be prepared to read a lot of old posts in this forum. At the same time you have great members that will guide you through in here and they are very helpful indeed.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
YES, MAYBE and NO

Depends on many factors.
1)How much were you willingly spending on e-liquids? Some go well over $1 per ml. On the Low end, they can be as cheap as 10 cent per ml.(Shipped)
2) How good are you at shopping for Best Price and still getting decent quality supplies, or going super low and suffering.
3) How much flavoring and Nic will you be using? These are the driving factors in actual per ml cost.
4) How good will you be at DIY - i.e. Dumping bad mixes $$, wasting supplies $$ - some people actually use a syringe only once.(to lazy to rinse)

My #1 reason for going DIY - If I don't like what I'm vaping I have no one to blame except myself. No more guessing what the next received sample will be like from a new vender. i.e. - Pick any one flavor and order it from 10 different makers. (Good Luck liking even 3)
# 2 Constant replicating satisfactory results so I know what I will be enjoying.
#3 managing my inventory. Never have to worry about getting low and a supplier being out of stock.:)

Landosnotasystem

ECF Veteran
May 5, 2013
Omaha, NE
Everything has already been said, but I would emphasize the 'if you keep at it aspect.' If you drop a hundred bucks to get started, and then quickly give up, you're spending way more than you would have on pre-mixed juice -no one wants to pay $10/ml on terrible juice :). I personally started with a couple hundred mls of pg and vg, the smallest bottle of nic I could find, and about 6 flavors. With shipping and syringes, etc., I got started for about $45 at Wizard Labs. After I knew I would keep at it, I picked up enough to keep me vaping for a couple of years. You'll pay a little more for smaller quantities, but have less to potentially throw out.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
Good point.

Buy as little as you can 1 or 2 flavors a syringe and tiny bottles of base. If it don't work out then not much lost. I see lots of people spending hundreds on there first order with 60 flavors 500ml nic gallons of pg and vg and so much mixing hardware you could fill a warehouse. Personally I think save your money until your shure DYI is for you.

CommaHolly

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Plant City, FL
one of the best places to try flavors is Wizard Labs,,,,,

you can buy 8ml of a flavor for 1.49,,,,,if you love the flavor and vape it all the time, you might look elsewhere for larger amounts,,,,,,like 30ml or 120 mls of flavoring,,,,,,,if you hate the flavor, you only wasted a buck and a half. It's a great way to try out tons of different flavors before spending huge bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread