How much nicotine is 1 pod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomybooy

Jun 15, 2018
Hi everyone.
Can someone please tell me how much nicotine am I smoking if I use a 2ml pod with 35mg nicotine liquid?
I’m trying to determine which strength to buy.
I smoke ultralight cigarettes with just 0.4mg of nicotine per cigarette.

How do I even do the math?
For a pack of cigarettes I multiply 0.4 by 20? And that’s the amount of nicotine I smoke per pack?
So does one pod equals a pack of cigarettes?
And if so, how much nicotine am I smoking if I use a 35mg strength liquid?
I’m all confused.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Hi and Welcome,
If you want to smoke a real cigarette, your nicotine level is too low.
If you get dizzy, feel sick or agitated, your nicotine level is too high.

As long as you are vaping and NOT smoking...the amount of nicotine is decided by you.
I would suggest the strongest available if you are just starting.
You can meter your nicotine intake by using your e cigarette less often.

Cheers
I

smoked25years

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2018
Are you sure that the nicotine is 0.4 mg in your ultra light cigarettes? I don't know what you are using so I'm not saying you are wrong. But it seems unusually low. Tests of the nicotine content in cigarettes usually give way higher values. Here's one example: Determination of nicotine content of popular cigarettes. - PubMed - NCBI

In the linked article, the average was 11.72 mg per filtered cigarette. The different brands they tested ranged from 6.94 to 18.33 mg nicotine per cigarette.

Hi everyone.
Can someone please tell me how much nicotine am I smoking if I use a 2ml pod with 35mg nicotine liquid?

For a pack of cigarettes I multiply 0.4 by 20? And that’s the amount of nicotine I smoke per pack?
I’m all confused.

Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Hi everyone.

I’m all confused.

Hi Tomybooy. Welcome to the ECF.

Part of the confusion when comparing Nicotine in e-Liquids to Cigarettes arises because they use 2 Different Measuring Ratings.

e-Liquids are rated as Total Nicotine per Volume. ie: What is the Total amount of Nicotine in Milligrams in 1 Milliliter of Volume. => mg/ml

Whereas Cigarettes are rated as the Average Amount of Nicotine that is Absorbed into the Body of the Average Smoker when they Smoke 1 Cigarette.

So doing a Direct Compression is akin to comparing Apples to Oranges.

Because the Total Amount of Nicotine in a Cigarette is Much Higher than the Absorbed amount when a Person Smokes one.

And the Absorbed amount of Nicotine when one Vapes is Much Lower than the Total Amount present in 1 Milliliter of a given e-Liquid.

spaceman84

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 17, 2013
North Carolina
Hi everyone.

I’m all confused.
Everyone is making it really complicated. Generally a pod is supposed to be equivalent to a pack of cigarettes. But you've got a bigger pod than average, and you're using juice that is weaker than what's in a Juul or comparable pod. I'd estimate it'll be about equal to a pack and a half for you depending on the what ohm coil the pod is using.

Dmegs

Verified Member
Sep 16, 2011
Texas
Need to clear up some confusion regarding the linked article....I read the above linked article that was posted:

Determination of nicotine content of popular cigarettes. - PubMed - NCBI

This article lists the nicotine mg in cigarettes that were ‘accidentally INGESTED’ by Japanese children! Not SMOKED but rather ingested-as in eaten accidentally.

The mg of nicotine from a cigarette that is INGESTED is much higher than the mg of nicotine from SMOKING a cigarette.

An ultralight cigarette does only contain 0.4mg of nicotine when smoked.

smoked25years

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2018
You are wrong. The study measured the total content of nicotine in a cigarette. They did not measure the amount ingested. Ingestion by children was the reason for the study but that is not what they measured. You are confusing their motivation and their work.

E-liquid is usually described by the concentration (mg/ml) and a comparable total content of nicotine can be determine as described by bwh79. Multiply the concentration by the volume to get the total content.

The amount absorbed by the body by smoking or vaping is another thing. Maybe the amount of nicotine absorbed by the body or the yield (two different things) is 0.4mg or maybe it's not. You have provided no proof and I haven't looked it up.

What they measured is clearly described in the article. Even the title clearly describes what they measured.

Need to clear up some confusion regarding the linked article....I read the above linked article that was posted:

Determination of nicotine content of popular cigarettes. - PubMed - NCBI

This article lists the nicotine mg in cigarettes that were ‘accidentally INGESTED’ by Japanese children! Not SMOKED but rather ingested-as in eaten accidentally.

The mg of nicotine from a cigarette that is INGESTED is much higher than the mg of nicotine from SMOKING a cigarette.

An ultralight cigarette does only contain 0.4mg of nicotine when smoked.

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
To be honest (although there are some "reasonable" guidelines that get cited) it really depends. On your vape style, how you inhale, how much YOU personally absorb and whatnot.

I was a 3 ppd smoker and I use 18 mg/ml in MTL devices. Technically (given that cigarettes tend to have better absorption rates) I am way too low. While I chain vaped a lot in the beginning, that became a good level-- for me. Some folks smoke less and need a lot MORE nicotine.

The best rule of thumb is to start somewhere. If you are feeling sx of nicotine overload, lower your nic. Same thing if you feel like you aren't getting enough.

Your device's delivery system also matters a GREAT deal. If you are inhaling huge clouds of vapor, you'll need less nicotine (as a general guideline) and more if you vape on a system that delivers a whole lot less nicotine per puff.

Also, this:
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/threads/a-list-of-symptoms-when-quitting-tobacco-and-changing-to-an-ecigarette.3305/

You may feel wonky in the beginning simply due to switching over. This seems to affect some more than others but it's good information to have.

Best of luck,

Anna

smoked25years

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2018
The reply by stols001 is the most practical response.

To be honest (although there are some "reasonable" guidelines that get cited) it really depends. On your vape style, how you inhale, how much YOU personally absorb and whatnot.

I was a 3 ppd smoker and I use 18 mg/ml in MTL devices. Technically (given that cigarettes tend to have better absorption rates) I am way too low. While I chain vaped a lot in the beginning, that became a good level-- for me. Some folks smoke less and need a lot MORE nicotine.

The best rule of thumb is to start somewhere. If you are feeling sx of nicotine overload, lower your nic. Same thing if you feel like you aren't getting enough.

Your device's delivery system also matters a GREAT deal. If you are inhaling huge clouds of vapor, you'll need less nicotine (as a general guideline) and more if you vape on a system that delivers a whole lot less nicotine per puff.

Also, this:
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/threads/a-list-of-symptoms-when-quitting-tobacco-and-changing-to-an-ecigarette.3305/

You may feel wonky in the beginning simply due to switching over. This seems to affect some more than others but it's good information to have.

Best of luck,

Anna

OP is most likely correct about the nicotine content of his ultra light cigarettes. The vast majority of nicotine in tobacco is lost due to combustion and only a small amount is delivered to the lungs.

The lungs are not the only point of absorption.

Total content is more than yield. And yield is more than the amount absorbed. Of course, none of this is proof that the value of 0.4 mg is probably correct. As I said previously, I'm not saying the OP isn't correct but there has been no evidence shown.

As for how cigs and e-cigs compare...Below is a chart of blood plasma nicotine levels from an article in Nature. The e-liquid used in the study was 18mg/ml nicotine. The devices used are old by today's standards. You can read the entire report at this link: Nicotine absorption from electronic cigarette use: comparison between first and new-generation devices Nature is a scientific journal.

srep04133-f4.jpg

I have no idea of the original source or accuracy of the graph below but several vaping websites describe it as the results of a study commissioned by PAX/Juul.

pax-evaluation.png

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Interesting graphs above. I smoked 2 PAD Merit lights and ultralights when I started vaping in 2010. Prior to that I smoked 1PAD Marlboro Reds for decades. It was decades later that I started with lights and doubled my smoking rate to 2 PAD.

I vape about 9ml of 6mg/ml juice per day in a MTL atomizer at 10W. I started with 24mg/ml juice and tapered down, but I'm sure I compensated for the lower nic by vaping more low nic juice.

I may just mix up a 10ml bottle of 24mg/ml juice just to see the difference now. It will probably make me dizzy and pale. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: stols001

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

pax-evaluation-png.750527

I have no idea of the original source or accuracy of the graph below but several vaping websites describe it as the results of a study commissioned by PAX/Juul.

I believe the Above Graph comes straight from the JUUL website.

Notice how well the JUUL's Magenta plot parallels a Combustible Cigarette. But also Notice the Asterisk at the end of the Magenta's Plot Legend.

This is a Good Example of a Visual Mixing "Real" Results with Mathematical Predictions. Mathematical Predicts that May or May Not be Relevant to the Real Data Plots.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physiologically_based_pharmacokinetic_modeling

BTW - I wonder if this Visual would have been Less Impactful if a PBPK Model had been included using a Run-of-the-Mill Sub Ohm setup using 50mg/ml?

And if the Visual Take Away would have then become that it Isn't the JUUL that is so Similar to Inhaling Combusted Tobacco Smoke? But it is the Use of High mg/ml e-Liquids that is the Causality?

BTW2 - If you look at this Visual without the Magenta Plot, is this Visual all that Ground Breaking?

BTW3 - What is a "Traditional e-Cigarettes" that is referenced by the Cyan plot?

Reactions: stols001

smoked25years

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2018
I believe the Above Graph comes straight from the JUUL website.

Notice how well the JUUL's Magenta plot parallels a Combustible Cigarette. But also Notice the Asterisk at the end of the Magenta's Plot Legend.

This is a Good Example of a Visual Mixing "Real" Results with Mathematical Predictions. Mathematical Predicts that May or May Not be Relevant to the Real Data Plots.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physiologically_based_pharmacokinetic_modeling

Would be interesting to see an actual test.

BTW - I wonder if this Visual would have been Less Impactful if a PBPK Model had been included using a Run-of-the-Mill Sub Ohm setup using 50mg/ml?

Wouldn't 50mg/ml from sub ohm device be dangerously high? Did you mean to say lower nicotine from a sub ohm setup?

BTWAnd if the Visual Take Away would have then become that it Isn't the JUUL that is so Similar to Inhaling Combusted Tobacco Smoke? But it is the Use of High mg/ml e-Liquids that is the Causality?

Maybe. It's not really clear. Is there some text that goes along with the graph? Would be helpful to see the details. It would be interesting to compare absorption of different preps at the same concentration. I heard that Juul has patents on their prep but I haven't looked up the patent docs.

BTW2 - If you look at this Visual without the Magenta Plot, is this Visual all that Ground Breaking?

Sorta like air brushing photos of super models ;)

BTW3 - What is a "Traditional e-Cigarettes" that is referenced by the Cyan plot?

Good question. Again it would be helpful if there was detail about Juul's study. If someone has more info, please post it.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Would be interesting to see an actual test.

Wouldn't 50mg/ml from sub ohm device be dangerously high? Did you mean to say lower nicotine from a sub ohm setup?

Maybe. It's not really clear. Is there some text that goes along with the graph? Would be helpful to see the details. It would be interesting to compare absorption of different preps at the same concentration. I heard that Juul has patents on their prep but I haven't looked up the patent docs.

Sorta like air brushing photos of super models ;)

Good question. Again it would be helpful if there was detail about Juul's study. If someone has more info, please post it.

Ya know that Ole Say'n... "A Picture is Worth a 1,000 Words"

This JUUL Visual is a Good Example of when you Don't Want to say the 1,000 Words. Because the words would Open Up too many Cans of Worms.

So you just Make something that Looks Scientific at a Casual Glance. And rely on Optical Impressions to achieve your PR Goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread