Lowering nicotine level on pod

Status
Not open for further replies.

APA1

Apr 12, 2018
I'm about a month and half into switching from smoking cigarettes to vaping.
I've been using the juul and smok Infinix.
The 45mg to 50mg of nic salt is becoming too much.
It's keeping me off of cigarettes but it's causing headaches, rapid heartbeat, trouble sleeping.
Is it too early to start lowering my nicotine level?
When I do lower the amount of nicotine what level should I go to?
Should I go to a 25mg nic salt?
Should I go to an 18mg freebase?
Will the lower nicotine level still provide a decent throat hit from my pod?
Throat hit is very important to me.

Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
You can lower your nicotine whenever you feel ready. Especially if you are getting nicotine overload. Nic salts typically provide less throat hit, but you may be feeling some now due to the fact that PG also offers a throat hit.

You can certainly switch to freebase nic, depending on what sort of level you are looking at. Freebase can become pretty harsh at too high of a nicotine level. I might get some Nic salt juices at a lower level to see how you like them, as well as some freebase, so you can experience the differences.

How low you go and how quickly depends on you.,.. How much/often are you NOT vaping when you want to (if it's a lot, I might suggest a fairly significant jump, say to something like 25--28 in nic salts, or to 20--18 of freebase (more because it may be too harsh at those levels.

However as a rule of thumb, lets say you vape about half of what you want to and you are still getting nic overload, then go to just below half, like a 25 mg nicsalt juice.

Freebase will be more complicated as it is absorbed slightly differently.

But to me, it sounds like you have nothing to lose by lowering it, and a fair amount to gain. Nic overload should really not happen routinely, I just had it happen to me for the first time ever yesterday, (no clue why, guess I over vaped, although it probably means it may be time for me to reduce my own nic a bit) and I didn't find it pleasant at all, so absolutely you should lower it. I'd expect as you adjust, you may be vaping slightly more frequently but that sounds like what you want to have happen, in any case.

Best of luck,

Anna

APA1

Apr 12, 2018
I received the 18 mg juice yesterday (Pixy by Time Bomb Vapors). The throat hit is decent. The amount of nicotine is satisfying. I should be getting the 25 mg nic salt tomorrow. We will see how that goes.
I've come to the conclusion that the 45-50 mg nic salts are just too much. They are good for about 4 puffs every once in a while but any more will give you a huge nic buzz/headache. If you don't have the self control to put it down (like me) then it is too much.
Even though I still consider myself a newbie to the vaping world, I think the 45-50 mg nic salts are the best option to get people off cigarettes. At least for the 1st month. Then it's time to start lowering the nic level. There's no need to have that much nicotine in your system (again, unless you have self control to only take a few puffs per session).

By the way, the 18 mg juice hits best using the Smok Infinix over the Juul.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
It takes some testing and trial and error to find the right nic level for yourself. When I switched to vaping I was lucky enough to be satisfied with 3mg nic right away, and have stuck with it ever since, but I know some people that have a lot of trouble finding the right levels, and still kind of struggle with it. In some cases it may even come down to having to mix the nic to get what they want because manufacturers only put it out in certain levels (a guy i know has an issue where 24 is too much but 18 isn't enough so he makes his at 21mg).

smoked25years

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2018
Individual preferences vary a lot. For me, the Infinix produces a LOT more vapor than the Juul. So using 45 mg in the Infinix would actually give me MUCH more nicotine, not less.

Throat hit and buzz are two very different but related things, of course. And it can be difficult to get both dialed in perfectly. With the word "buzz", what I really mean is an adequate level of nicotine to make a smoker feel normal, not over dosed. You might get enough nicotine to make your brain happy at a low concentration but not feel it in your throat.

For me, what worked nicely is menthol even though I was never a menthol smoker. I smoked full flavor American Spirits.... a LOT of them! In my younger days, I even smoked unfiltered Lucky Strikes! The throat hit from vaping is very different since there's no combustion. When vaping menthol, the cooling sensation on the back of my throat let me focus more on "brain happy" rather than throat hit. I know preferences vary and some folks don't like it at all. But satisfaction from the cooling sensation of menthol is what made it easy for me to switch to vaping. I suspect it is also why the mint Juul pods are so popular.

Last edited:
  • Agree

zeng.jaihui

Unresolved Status
Apr 11, 2018
  • Deleted by classwife
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

APA1

Apr 12, 2018
The 18 mg freebase has been going ok. Still better option than the 45 mg nic salt. The 18 mg chain vaping is getting to me though. I’ll still get an occasional nic buzz. But now I’m having trouble falling asleep. I’m thinking about testing out a 12 mg 50/50 VG PG. See if I still get a throat hit and see if it helps me fall asleep easier.

• Optimistic
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread