How often do you change your Triton coil/how many mL's and/or how many days between?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultra-X

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2013
Memphis, TN, USA
so how often do people change their wick in the Triton clearo's?

i currently use:
1.8-2.0 ohm coil
on a vv battery set to 3.8 or a standard ego which i believe is around 3.7v or is 4.2 that drops off- not sure
Midnight Apple @ 12mg or 6mg or mixed with sometimes mixing in Kringle's Curse or the new mint flavor
or sometimes refill with Longhorn.

for me, performance generally falls off on the 5th day of use.
3.8 volt setting on either the lower resistance coil or the mid resistance coil.
if i change the top wick, i get ok vape/flavor for about another 3 days then by then,
there is just about not enough vape where i can tolerate and i start wanting to take a real cigarette.

Maybe i should just start a ritual of changing both wicks on the 4th day?
anyone do wick changing every third day?
it's a lot of lost juice if so frequent but maybe that's just cost of doing this . . .

i mostly vape Midnight Apple .... very very mostly.
sometimes, add a little Kringles or that new mint that i got free.
once in a while, i'll refill with Longhorn.
im outta my apples from MBV or i'd mix that in from time to time to get more "apple".
midnight apple gives me vapor's tongue anywhere from 2 to 3 weeks range.
Especially once the coil is overused, i tend to get almost flavorless hits ... but this could mainly be the coil and not the vapor's tongue.

i did notice one coil, that lasted me around 7 days before i had to change out the flavor wick.
but so far, that's a fluke. Not sure what i might have done differently on this one.
but once the top wick is changed, at best 3 more days - tops.

maybe a better measure of how i use coils should be based on mL of liquid put through the coil.
i generally vape 3 mL a day - really rough estimate, believe my variance is as low as 2.5 mL to as much as 4mL a day.
so after 12 to 15 mL the vape production starts to drop - consistently in this range.

is this normal?
or... what are other people's experience (since people have diff't joose and run diff't voltages, hard to define "normal")

if sharing, please include any/all that apply:
- coil resistance
- your typical running voltage
- wick type if not the typical Triton silica
- your frequency of wick change and/or coil change (by days or by volume of joose consumed)
- your type of juice
- nicotine percentage in your joose

Thank you for your time/read/any shares.
HAPPY VAPING / BE HEALTHY

FallenRawToast

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2014
LA, CA, USA, NA, SOL
2 to 3 tank fulls is the norm, no matter the voltage or resistance.

slightly darker juices tend to need it sooner (beligian Cocoa) and very clear juices (kringles curse) i can get 7 tank fulls out of easily.

----

You will find that you will get more longevity out of your coils if you change them before you are "forced" to, and set them up for a soaking, dry burning and a rinse.

Evie Luv

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Hi Ultra! :) When I first started using the Triton it was with the standard 2.2-2.4 coils. After 2 or 3 tanks it would decrease vaper and flavor and I'd notice that where the flavor wick was it would be dark with caramelized juice. This was using a horny juice cherry swirl and Voodoo.

Long story of trial and error short. I now use the 2.6-2.8 coils for darker juices like Voodoo and Cherry Swirl but I use the 2.2-2.4 on clearer juices like Tribeca and Kringle's Curse. It doesn't burn or caramelize the juices as fast. But my tastebuds I like a cooler vape and my favorite flavors are Tribeca, Menthol seX, Mystic, Kringle's Curse, Menthol Ice, Coolmist, Sub-Zero, Southern Classic, horny flavors are Cherry Swirl, Mothers Milk, Sucker Punched, cheesecakes and custards.

I now can get months on my coils. Example In the beginning of May I got a new tank with the standard 2.2-2.4 coil for my ADV Tribeca. When I first load it I let it sit for 20 before taking my first draw. After letting the wicks soak in I take a 5 sec slow, steady and easy draw without firing the button to make sure I have plenty of juice on the coil but not hard enough draw juice into the tip & flood it. I call this priming my coil. After that my normal draw is for 1 sec I start my draw before firing the battery then I draw slow, steady and easy until I feel the heat start to warm my lips. When I feel the heat on my lips I let go of the firing button and draw for 1 more second to cool off the coil so it doesn't caramelize my juice. :) I'm still using that same coil today in a tank I have dedicated to Tribeca. I have not cleaned the coil and it isn't showing any signs of giving out on me yet. I use it on the 650 mAh Triton battery and I vape and put it down for a minute. Like Dave always had to remind me to do in the beginning.;)

Now a fresh coil takes time to break in, I draw just a touch harder to get the juice flowing and after I vaped half I usually top off the tank to make wicking easier. After that it vapes great for about 3 or 4 tank fulls but I top off at the end of my day if my juice is more than half empty so I'll be ready for the next day. After the 3rd or 4th topped off tank the flavor and vapor drop off. When that happens even if the tank is 3/4 full I'll top it off. So just like with a fresh coil I have to draw a little harder to pull juice onto the coil for about 1/2 to 3/4 a tank. After that it vapes great for a week or so before I have to repeat this.

Now my Voodoo, Mothers Milk and Cherry Swirl which is a darker sweet juice I have to vape it with a cooler 2.6-2.8 coil using my Triton VV battery at 3.7v or I'll caramelize the juice too quickly. The Cherry Swirl tank I have to clean the coil every 2 weeks or so. I wash it with hot tap water under the faucet I do remove the flavor wick and with my fingernail I scrape off the "black" spot on the top flavor wick. The bottom wick I put the coil on a tank that I have removed the plastic tank part and I dry burn the coil then I fire it while I hold it under the faucet to get the gunk off the coil. I put it back together fire the coil in a few burst to dry out the wicks then I add my juice and let it sit for 20 minutes to wick. The first 1/2 the tank will be weak because of water still in the wicks then it vapes fine.

All the above is for tanks I have dedicated to certain flavors. The coils that I wash to remove the flavor out of the wicks so I can change flavors don't last as long as the dedicated coils. Since May I have never washed the Tribeca coil and when it gets weak I just top it off and vape through it until it's wicking better which never lasts more than 1/2 a tank. :) I think the key is slow, steady and easy draws, letting my lips be the guide to not letting it get too hot, the 1 second wicking draw then ending with a 1 or 2 second cooling draw and putting it down between vapes.

In the beginnig I went through some coils because I would burn and caramelize the juice.;) I also rotate between 4 flavors a day but my main vape is Tribeca and I vape 18mg to 12mg nic. :)

Last edited:

machinestatic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
Massachusetts
It sounds like I'm lucky... and lazy. ;)

For my in-my-pocket/at-work Triton tank, it's always filled with just SubZero, and I can go weeks with the same head. And that's with refilling every day. To be honest I don't change the head until I notice the juice at the bottom of the tank is MUCH darker than the new juice. Then I just rinse with hot water, dry, and put a new head in (1.8 ohm).

Then for my tanks that stay home, I tend to rinse and put a new flavor in those every week or so, but in between I've never found that I've had to replace the head early.

I also just toss the heads every time, I've never dry burned these (*cough* lazy).

absoluttalent

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2014
Lombard, IL
I know its slightly different because I dont use a Triton (yet, ordering soon) but on my G6 with mini tanks I do roughly 5-10 refills or 7 days on my lighter juices (prime15, freedom) and 2-4 refils or 3 days for the darker juices (midnight apple, shamrock)

Then I leave the tanks in my pile till my weekly cleaning is done and i rinse insides, scrub threads and leave it for 24 hours to dry before doing a dryburn and storage till my next fill up of that color tank. Been doing this with the tanks ive had for 2+ months and I have had no issues. Nic ranges between 12 and 24mg

Im sure I could go a bit longer between cleanings, but I change juices so much that i just clean to have tanks readily available

BigBen2k

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2013
MA, USA
- coil resistance
Standard, 2.2 - 2.4

- your typical running voltage
Stock, 3.7

- wick type if not the typical Triton silica
Silica, 2mm, or ekowool, 2mm

- your frequency of wick change and/or coil change (by days or by volume of joose consumed)
Every 5 refills, so 12 mL.

- your type of juice
Horny. Sweet & Sour flavors, like Lemon-lime, or Pomegranate

- nicotine percentage in your joose
3 to 6 mg/mL

machinestatic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
Massachusetts
I just take the top wicks out of the coils and dump it all into a small container filled with denture cleaner. Let it sit overnight and air dry on paper towel. They become brand new again.

1 coil lasts be around a month before the wicks start splitting and becoming a pain to deal with.

Wow, this sounds so... easy! Does this work for you even when you switch flavors? And you don't even dry burn? If so, I will definitely run out and grab some denture tablets. I haven't bought any of those since the old atomizer and cartridge days. :p

wheezal

Insane Halon
ECF Veteran
Aug 27, 2013
Austin, Tx
iff you grab denture tablets, make sure you get unflavored ones. the mint ones will leave a minty residue on the fibers and can affect the flavor of yer joos. read the box carefully, if there is anything like 'flavoring' listed, then it may be a mint brand of denture cleanser.

i use a two step process, i soak my tanks and coils in denture cleanser, rinse, then soak them in PGA or vodka. then rinse, and air dry.

then i drink the denture cleanser/PGA/Vodka concoction....it tastes gud and makes the unbearable pain from all the voices die down for a few minutes.

I'm with you, I keep my tanks mostly full ( between 2 and 2.4 ml ) and always use SubZero. I think keeping the tanks full is a key component for wick based systems.

I vape moderately ( two or three hits at a time ) and use indications of burning around the head or if I find that my Triton just isn't satisfying. I often switch between my G-6 and Triton so I've got a good baseline when either one needs a refill. With my e-tonic I got a month to 6 weeks per head.

It sounds like I'm lucky... and lazy. ;)

For my in-my-pocket/at-work Triton tank, it's always filled with just SubZero, and I can go weeks with the same head. And that's with refilling every day. To be honest I don't change the head until I notice the juice at the bottom of the tank is MUCH darker than the new juice. Then I just rinse with hot water, dry, and put a new head in (1.8 ohm).

Then for my tanks that stay home, I tend to rinse and put a new flavor in those every week or so, but in between I've never found that I've had to replace the head early.

I also just toss the heads every time, I've never dry burned these (*cough* lazy).

Ultra-X

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2013
Memphis, TN, USA
Thanks Evie,
wow... super detailed reply - awesome!
And so many diff't flavors! (i haven't found that many i'd like to go thru yet)
give me bunches of ideas now:
i think i might need to try to severely lower my voltage or maybe get higher resistance.
i do like a warm vape - still have the occasional cigarette urges and the temp is very much a part of vape which i need to stay away.
prolly need to do dry burning and figure out how to get the bottom wick correct.
it's the caramelize effect that's messing me up (pretty sure).
i pretty much vape until the bottom before i fill up ... maybe this needs to change too.

And MANY THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR YOUR INPUT.
and now imma going to find me some denture tabs ... just like machinestatic, imma lazy - i want this to be as close to lazy as smoking real cigs.

Hi Ultra! :) When I first started using the Triton it was with the standard 2.2-2.4 coils. After 2 or 3 tanks it would decrease vaper and flavor and I'd notice that where the flavor wick was it would be dark with caramelized juice. This was using a horny juice cherry swirl and Voodoo.

Long story of trial and error short. I now use the 2.6-2.8 coils for darker juices like Voodoo and Cherry Swirl but I use the 2.2-2.4 on clearer juices like Tribeca and Kringle's Curse. It doesn't burn or caramelize the juices as fast. But my tastebuds I like a cooler vape and my favorite flavors are Tribeca, Menthol seX, Mystic, Kringle's Curse, Menthol Ice, Coolmist, Sub-Zero, Southern Classic, horny flavors are Cherry Swirl, Mothers Milk, Sucker Punched, cheesecakes and custards.

I now can get months on my coils. Example In the beginning of May I got a new tank with the standard 2.2-2.4 coil for my ADV Tribeca. When I first load it I let it sit for 20 before taking my first draw. After letting the wicks soak in I take a 5 sec slow, steady and easy draw without firing the button to make sure I have plenty of juice on the coil but not hard enough draw juice into the tip & flood it. I call this priming my coil. After that my normal draw is for 1 sec I start my draw before firing the battery then I draw slow, steady and easy until I feel the heat start to warm my lips. When I feel the heat on my lips I let go of the firing button and draw for 1 more second to cool off the coil so it doesn't caramelize my juice. :) I'm still using that same coil today in a tank I have dedicated to Tribeca. I have not cleaned the coil and it isn't showing any signs of giving out on me yet. I use it on the 650 mAh Triton battery and I vape and put it down for a minute. Like Dave always had to remind me to do in the beginning.;)

Ultra-X

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2013
Memphis, TN, USA
Hi absoluttalent,

thanks for share on the mini's.
noticed you too mentioned 3 days on the midnight apple - which was one of the reasons i stopped using them.
at least, im not totally insane.

I know its slightly different because I dont use a Triton (yet, ordering soon) but on my G6 with mini tanks I do roughly 5-10 refills or 7 days on my lighter juices (prime15, freedom) and 2-4 refils or 3 days for the darker juices (midnight apple, shamrock)

Then I leave the tanks in my pile till my weekly cleaning is done and i rinse insides, scrub threads and leave it for 24 hours to dry before doing a dryburn and storage till my next fill up of that color tank. Been doing this with the tanks ive had for 2+ months and I have had no issues. Nic ranges between 12 and 24mg

Im sure I could go a bit longer between cleanings, but I change juices so much that i just clean to have tanks readily available

Zavri

ECF Veteran
May 23, 2014
vermont
Wow, this sounds so... easy! Does this work for you even when you switch flavors? And you don't even dry burn? If so, I will definitely run out and grab some denture tablets. I haven't bought any of those since the old atomizer and cartridge days. :p

Works so far on every flavor I tried. I use regular store brand denture tablets, unflavored.

Just gotta try NOT to rub the coil wick and let the soak do all the work, otherwise the wick will unravel and be a pain. I had some luck eariler with a Q-tip trying to rub out black spots but it wasn't worth it because it only worked 1/3rd of the time, I just do overnight soaks now and it gets rid of everything really well.

I mixed captain jack with midnight apple and that was definitely the most "abrasive" liquid I've had on the wicks, I used the mix for 4 days straight without cleaning it and I had a nice thick black spot on the coil wick, the overnight soaked removed 98% of it, still a small amount on the wick but I don't taste anything from it so its no big deal. I just use that specific coil for dark juices until I toss it soon.

edit: Also, I don't dry burn. Haven't had any issues not doing so, I let them completely air dry after a overnight soak. Sometimes I let them soak for 24 hours from me forgetting about them ;p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread