How to DIY with no prescription

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smoz3

Mar 21, 2019
I recently bought "vaping in Paris" premium e-liquid with no real information on how to DIY.

I provided an image where you can see the e-liquid I bought (E-liquid is "Raisin" which from French to English means "Grape").

xQSiRSF.jpg

You can see that in the mix it only needs 5% of the flavor but I don't know what base (VG,PG,Nic) is needed to make, for example, 70VG/30PG e-liquid, etc.

It says that 10ml aroma is needed to make 200ml e-liquid and that's it.

Maybe anyone else has mixed this e-liquid flavor and can provide more detailed information?

Reactions: GOMuniEsq

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
The 70/30 thing is percentages. DIY is basic math generally and winds up being based on the finished bottle size. There are a few variables that need to be balanced to make it all work.

I personally completely avoid “natural” flavors but it has to do with the definition of “natural” in US law which basically says that “natural” stuff is more or less immune from any safety testing. It’s a big, ugly, and often badly abused loop hole. Not all flavorings are safe to use in vape juice. It’s a problem. The best safety system people have been able to come up with is to use USP tested food flavorings (which have been tested to maintain integrity to 450f) AND which contain no oils. “natural” exempts a flavoring from both checks. I personally would love to see flavorings tested for vaping safety but so far such a thing has not happened so the best that can be done at this time is to use regulations designed for other things.

things that aren’t described in your question but needed:
-how big a bottle of finished juice do you want to make?
-Are you using a nic containing liquid to create a nic containing juice and if so what are it’s statistics?

Reactions: stols001

Smoz3

Mar 21, 2019
The 70/30 thing is percentages. DIY is basic math generally and winds up being based on the finished bottle size. There are a few variables that need to be balanced to make it all work.

I personally completely avoid “natural” flavors but it has to do with the definition of “natural” in US law which basically says that “natural” stuff is more or less immune from any safety testing. It’s a big, ugly, and often badly abused loop hole. Not all flavorings are safe to use in vape juice. It’s a problem. The best safety system people have been able to come up with is to use USP tested food flavorings (which have been tested to maintain integrity to 450f) AND which contain no oils. “natural” exempts a flavoring from both checks. I personally would love to see flavorings tested for vaping safety but so far such a thing has not happened so the best that can be done at this time is to use regulations designed for other things.

things that aren’t described in your question but needed:
-how big a bottle of finished juice do you want to make?
-Are you using a nic containing liquid to create a nic containing juice and if so what are it’s statistics?

For now, I want to make 50ml of finished e-juice. If I'll enjoy this flavor then later I would like to make 80ml and 100ml bottles.

Yes, I'm using nic 6mg contained e-juice (70VG/30PG).

So basically if I make 50ml bottle, then 47.5ml is my base(VG/PG/Nic) + 5% flavor (which is 2.5ml), right?

I only mixed 14% flavors and since I came across only now with 5% flavor I'm a bit confused, sorry.

Last edited:

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
For now, I want to make 50ml of finished e-juice. If I'll enjoy this flavor then later I would like to make 80ml and 100ml bottles.
well if you want to make a 50ml bottle and you have a guide for 200ml it becomes simple as 50 is 1/4th of 200
Yes, I'm using nic contained e-juice (70VG/30PG).
still need more data. Also there is a terms problem. “Using nic containing e-juice” is not sufficiently exact. Using it now? Using it to make e-juice?
To make a ready-to-vape ejuice various different components (usually called bases) need to be combined to make an e-juice with given qualities. Saying just “e-juice” doesn’t convey to me what you are referring to.
What is the mg/ml of the nic containing juice, and what strength juice
which nic containing juice? This word “juice” is becoming a problem again as I don’t know if you are talking about a finished juice you already have, a juice you are planning to make, or a component you intend to use to make a finished e-juice
So basically if I make 50ml bottle, then 47.5ml is my base(VG/PG/Nic) + 5% flavor (which is 2.5ml).
maybe, maybe not. There are several components to a finished juice, and it seems they are coming premixed and being called “base”.
If you were to do what you describe you would wind up with a finished juice with reasonably near to the various levels of the base. The flavoring is also a factor and it’s contents are unknown. Flavorings are usually PG based but there is no guarantee. So a finished juice using this method would likely have a slightly high PG and slightly lower nic content than the base you started with. Close though.
I only mixed 14% flavors and since I came across only now with 5% flavor I'm a bit confused, sorry.
Not sure what “14% flavors” means in this instance. Different flavors have different strengths so this is unsurprising.

Reactions: Smoz3

Smoz3

Mar 21, 2019
well if you want to make a 50ml bottle and you have a guide for 200ml it becomes simple as 50 is 1/4th of 200 still need more data. Also there is a terms problem. “Using nic containing e-juice” is not sufficiently exact. Using it now? Using it to make e-juice?
To make a ready-to-vape ejuice various different components (usually called bases) need to be combined to make an e-juice with given qualities. Saying just “e-juice” doesn’t convey to me what you are referring to. which nic containing juice? This word “juice” is becoming a problem again as I don’t know if you are talking about a finished juice you already have, a juice you are planning to make, or a component you intend to use to make a finished e-juice
maybe, maybe not. There are several components to a finished juice, and it seems they are coming premixed and being called “base”.
If you were to do what you describe you would wind up with a finished juice with reasonably near to the various levels of the base. The flavoring is also a factor and it’s contents are unknown. Flavorings are usually PG based but there is no guarantee. So a finished juice using this method would likely have a slightly high PG and slightly lower nic content than the base you started with. Close though.

Not sure what “14% flavors” means in this instance. Different flavors have different strengths so this is unsurprising.

8XEtXIq.jpg

Since I already have 6mg nicotine in my base I just only add the advised flavor % dosages to make the final batch.

To what % of flavor to add I just looked on the box, like this-
VSPqxcF.jpg

Since English is not my native language I'm a bit confused about what you are trying to say to me :/

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
8XEtXIq.jpg

Since I already have 6mg nicotine in my base I just only add the advised flavor % dosages to make the final batch.

VSPqxcF.jpg

Since English is not my native language I'm a bit confused about what you are trying to say to me :/
Looking at your cola coffee flavoring box it recommends 8% or 8ml per 100ml of finished juice. You plan to use 5% or 5ml per 100ml of finished juice, correct?
If using the 5% concentration with the combined base you posted your final finished juice would be very near to 6mg/ml and 70/30 vg/pg, but the nic concentration would be 5% lower than 6mg/ml and the 70/30 ratio would be a bit off because the actual contents of the flavoring are unknown. Using the 8% concentration (8ml flavoring in a 100ml finished juice) they would be somewhat more but still not very much.

Either way it would be very close though, and likely quite usable.

• Useful
Reactions: Smoz3

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North

Yes, I'm using nic 6mg contained e-juice (70VG/30PG).

So basically if I make 50ml bottle, then 47.5ml is my base(VG/PG/Nic) + 5% flavor (which is 2.5ml), right?

If you are using 6mg 70/30 base, you are correct - 47.5ml of base and 2.5ml of flavor will give you 50ml with 5% flavor.

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
8XEtXIq.jpg

VSPqxcF.jpg

You've really simplified things by buying pre-mixed base with nic already added.
Yes, you've got it. You can feel free to experiment with the exact percentage of flavor. It's strictly personal preference. The "advised dosage" table you see there is only a suggestion. In my experience, flavor should constitute 5-10% of the finished product.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
From what I've heard that for the flavor strenght-> 5% is low, 10 % is medium and 15% is high.

And in my situation when I bought the flavor it said that the advised dosage would be 5% because it says it is "an economical VIP DIY aroma". So economical flavors don't need that much of a % to be added to the total of VG/PG/nic?
Some flavors are more concentrated than others. I would start with what the maker(seller of flavor) suggests. You can always add a few drops more if you don't think it is strong enough but I would try vaping a tank of it first before making any adjustments.

There are also free online liquid ejuice calculators. Ecigexpress has one and so does e liquid recipes. Just google for the url.

hth

:)

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
From what I've heard that for the flavor strenght-> 5% is low, 10 % is medium and 15% is high.

And in my situation when I bought the flavor it said that the advised dosage would be 5% because it says it is "an economical VIP DIY aroma". So economical flavors don't need that much of a % to be added to the total of VG/PG/nic?
Don't waste your time trying to make sense of market-speak. Start with 5% and adjust to taste. You should already be doing this instead of nervously awaiting our approval.

Smoz3

Mar 21, 2019
Don't waste your time trying to make sense of market-speak. Start with 5% and adjust to taste. You should already be doing this instead of nervously awaiting our approval.

Alright, I guess I'll just do that. If 5% will not be enough I'll just add 5% more.

Anyhow, thank you all for the information.

• Winner

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Alright, I guess I'll just do that. If 5% will not be enough I'll just add 5% more.

Do not double it the first time.....go much slower. A little goes a long way.....if you put too much in you will either make it unvapeable (taste wise) or mute the flavoring totally. I have had times where too much flavor actually makes the ejuice tasteless. Of course the fix for that is to add more pg/vg/nic but why do that when if you go slowly you won't have to......Don't be in a hurry. There is no need for it.

:)

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North

As long as you have some base on hand, you can'r really ruin your finished juice by adding too much flavor.

So, if you start with 5% and double it to 10% and it seems too strong, just add some additional base to dilute the finished juice.

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada

It looks like you've got things sorted out now, but I'll try to clarify what happened. People who DIY most often get all the ingredients separately so they can get the percentages exactly right and/or try different mixes, so they'd have PG, VG and a high concentration nicotine base - usually 100 mg/ml. To figure out a recipe, you'd then need to know what VG/PG ratio and nicotine concentration you were aiming for, which is what bombastinator was asking you.

As it turned out, you're just adding flavour to pre-mixed juice, so that's all taken care of. It just took a little while to figure out that you were using a different approach. As others have said, your calculation is correct. 5% of 50 ml is 2.5 ml, so you want to start with 47.5 ml of pre-mixed juice and 2.5 ml of flavouring.

Reactions: greek mule

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
Don't forget that some juices need time to "steep"... many taste better after a week, some (like fruits) don't really need it. Also, most times I'm trying a new flavor I just mix small 10ml batches, but it's easier with something like a syringe (no needle needed) to measure small amounts of flavor. Counting drops is not a good way (except for adjusting juice you already made and just needs a little more flavor. For small flavor bottles takes around 30 drops to equal a ml.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread