How to Fix Stuff

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
That stabilizer prompted me to remember seeing a deal that attaches to the bottom of the ladder leg which can "level" the ladder on uneven ground. My hose is on large, pretty plot of ground that has almost no flat space. [I check vehicle fluid levels when I gas up. The tractor I drive up on some blocks strategically place to be 'almost level.] Some levelers would also be a great help.

"Honey" you like? I think I'll give it a try.

You take the words right out of my mouth. I'd freeze when I got 10' off the ground. Forget about going to a second story. Sheer panic. But exactly as you say I had to get over this fear to do the things I needed to do with this house (e.g., cleaning gutters, power washing, painting, etc..). I did it as little as I could but man it shook me up. Did not like it at all! But I must say that ladder stabilizer reduces the .... clench factor in half. Makes a big difference.

Reactions: stols001

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
Honey

The version I have on my laptop does not work with Firefox. I have to use it with Chrome. This link suggests it works with Firefox so I'll have to research it.

It seems that it does, I installed it and will try it now. I am looking to buy Startron concentrate, I'll what it does this evening.

rosesense

14 years and counting
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 1, 2010
    TN
    Honey

The version I have on my laptop does not work with Firefox. I have to use it with Chrome. This link suggests it works with Firefox so I'll have to research it.

I use it on firefox.

Do you use rabuten or whatever it is called since name changed from ebates? I have gotten quite a bit of money from that one due to buying on amazon, ebay and other sites.

Bronze

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2012
    I use it on firefox.

Do you use rabuten or whatever it is called since name changed from ebates? I have gotten quite a bit of money from that one due to buying on amazon, ebay and other sites.
    No Rose. I've only used Honey. I'll have to check out why mine does not work on Firefox. There are other things that Firefox wont do either.

Reactions: stols001

rosesense

14 years and counting
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jan 1, 2010
    TN
    It is called rakuten lol. It pops up automatically on sites that you can use it on. You simply activate it and get money. After a certain amount accrues, they send you a check. I have made a couple hundred dollars on stuff I was buying anyway.

Bronze

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2012
    I installed the Firefox version of Honey on my laptop and it works now. Evidently Honey has different versions for different browsers or they just updated their software to accept both Firefox and Chrome. Good, because the only time I used Chrome was when I was online shopping. Now I can boot them to the curb.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 15, 2013
    KY
    I installed the Firefox version of Honey on my laptop and it works now. Evidently Honey has different versions for different browsers or they just updated their software to accept both Firefox and Chrome. Good, because the only time I used Chrome was when I was online shopping. Now I can boot them to the curb.

Any time I can get away from Google, I do so.

rob33

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 20, 2009
    A World Traveler
    Honey

Honey on Amazon I use it to look at price history. Many items can be 20% or more cheaper at certain times, if you are willing to wait for the sale, add the item to your droplist, Honey will tell you when they are cheaper. You usually have act fast that price is only good for a day or weekend. In the case of the gutter guards they drop $30 a box, that would be a $90 savings on 3 boxes in my case.

Bronze

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2012
    Honey on Amazon I use it to look at price history. Many items can be 20% or more cheaper at certain times, if you are willing to wait for the sale, add the item to your droplist, Honey will tell you when they are cheaper. You usually have act fast that price is only good for a day or weekend. In the case of the gutter guards they drop $30 a box, that would be a $90 savings on 3 boxes in my case.
    I have those gutter guards on a price alert now.

BTW, if we're going to go thru the effort of installing gutterguards it is also a good time to replace/repair those loose gutter nails. Here's a vid and a link.

https://www.amazon.com/AMERIMAX-PRO...gutter+screws&qid=1562966258&s=gateway&sr=8-1

MikeE3

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 23, 2011
    Skippack, PA
    I have those gutter guards on a price alert now.

BTW, if we're going to go thru the effort of installing gutterguards it is also a good time to replace/repair those loose gutter nails. Here's a vid and a link.

https://www.amazon.com/AMERIMAX-PRO...gutter+screws&qid=1562966258&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Good tip. I didn't know about gutter screws. Our original gutters had those nails and seemed to always need re-seating. When we replaced the gutters we opted for gutter hangers so no more re-pounding in those irksome nails.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Tell ya, being a homeowner and Prime member works great together. Just ordered a new plug for the mower - be here Sunday. New Ace hardware opened locally tho so I'll save some items for a trip.
    Need those gutter screws also, need some help putting them in tho. Craigslist?

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    Tools! Sorry I just like the word, it gets some people all excited. Only not in this sentence:

"Tools! The lot of you!" That's rude apparently but like, I think a tool could also be highly useful in the right hands.

Like, I would NOT mind manning a squadron of like, U of A (you have to know the U of A) frat boys under the influence because I have persuasive powers over young gentlemen who are drunk.

It might be nice to assemble a squadron. Also, as a Lady Who Fixes Little (like seriously a few months ago was the ONLY time I have not only bought and USED drain cleaner-- I forget the name Bronze would probably tell me it was the wrong kind, and what IS the right kind is one better than another?)

Well, I now have much more appreciation for the men in my life doing everything. Even the evil EX built me a horse fence because I wanted horses and it was a BIG fence, and even if he did leave a beer bottle here and there, it was a pretty fantastic fence and like the very term "post digger" sends me into conniptions.

LOL so thank you all you useful dudes I don't appreciate enough.

Anna

Reactions: CMD-Ky

Bronze

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2012
    Good tip. I didn't know about gutter screws. Our original gutters had those nails and seemed to always need re-seating. When we replaced the gutters we opted for gutter hangers so no more re-pounding in those irksome nails.

Tell ya, being a homeowner and Prime member works great together. Just ordered a new plug for the mower - be here Sunday. New Ace hardware opened locally tho so I'll save some items for a trip.
    Need those gutter screws also, need some help putting them in tho. Craigslist?
    One of the tips the guy had in his gutter nail video was to re-drill a new hole below the existing hole in the event the gutter screw wouldn't bite in the old hole. I never like adding holes to gutters if it can be helped. The first thing I would do is to add a toothpick or two to the old, enlarged hole then try the screw. If a new hole MUST be drilled then at least go back and caulk over the old hole. If you don't, water will surely get behind it and rot out your eave.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    One of the tips the guy had in his gutter nail video was to re-drill a new hole below the existing hole in the event the gutter screw wouldn't bite in the old hole. I never like adding holes to gutters if it can be helped. The first thing I would do is to add a toothpick or two to the old, enlarged hole then try the screw. If a new hole MUST be drilled then at least go back and caulk over the old hole. If you don't, water will surely get behind it and rot out your eave.
    I was hoping that the screws would be longer to get bite?

Bronze

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2012
    I was hoping that the screws would be longer to get bite?
    Not sure. But the guy in the vid alluded to the screws not biting due to the nail hole being too big due to rounding out. Any time I run into that I slip a toothpick (or two) in the hole and it effectively cinches up the screw contact.

MikeE3

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 23, 2011
    Skippack, PA
    Not sure. But the guy in the vid alluded to the screws not biting due to the nail hole being too big due to rounding out. Any time I run into that I slip a toothpick (or two) in the hole and it effectively cinches up the screw contact.

And if the 'toothpick trick' doesn't work, I've used a dowel to totally plug the hole and begin again. ;)

Bronze

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2012
    And if the 'toothpick trick' doesn't work, I've used a dowel to totally plug the hole and begin again. ;)
    That would work too. Just gotta match the dowel width to the hole. Not many people have dowel rod around but they do have toothpicks. :) But yes, a dowel would be even better.

Users who are viewing this thread