How to refill if I hate refilling? Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffree

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2010
california
Alright, so I'm a grasshopper when it comes to refilling cartos. Never done it. I say that it's because I was quitting cigs and wanted all to be easy... but I'm also lazy. Unfortunately, due to V4L's current VG shortage, I need to refill and know that someone here can help me get on board.

I've already searched the site and found many threads and videos about refilling, so I don't need those. I'm hip to options of using droppers and syringes and .... plugs and tweezers and Taryn spins, and more.

But I just need the answers to a few questions more important to me...

1. What's the absolutely easiest, yet still reasonably effective, way to refill?

2. Should I use my 100s of old, non-premium V4L cartos (were VG flav)? Or should I buy some new cool carts or prems?

3. If I use the old cartos, do I need to wash them? Or can I just refill with a similar flav?

The first 3 responders win my undying admiration and appreciation! :2cool:

5cardstud

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2010
Wash
Last edited:

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
You can refill with the same/simialer flavor and be ok, change flavors, it get's ugly fast!

The absolute easiest way, and I'm lazy as can be, I've tried the Taryn spin, I've got syringes, I've got measuring cups, it goes on. But nothing is easier than using the condom. I've found it can be used from either end of the carto, and the battery end leaves less residue for you to taste or suck in.

I bought some cool carts, blank, didn't really notice any difference with the normal juice, can't say with the new juice.

JenJen

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 27, 2009
Sunny Arizona
Everyone has their own preferences, but I have found this works best for me... (I am a huge fan of the K.I.S.S. {Keep it simple stupid} method of almost anything I do lol!)

1. What's the absolutely easiest, yet still reasonably effective, way to refill?
I generally put the .... plug and condom on, pry off the white cap, tilt my cartos (so the juice doesn't go down the hole) and drop 2 drops, turn, drop 2 drops, turn, drop 2 drops and so on letting the juice soak in until it looks like it isn't soaking in anymore, then put it in my battery cover, and spin. Then I put the cap back on, take a quick peek through the hole and if I can't see through it, I blow into a napkin or tissue a few times until I can see through it (so as not to get juice when I draw on it) then screw it back on the batter and vape away. Hint - I found fishing the carto from the bottom of the battery bag to be a pain, so I cut the bag until it was just the size of the carto and sew the end closed - or you can use duct tape if you are lazy lol. Then it is just right for spinning.

2. Should I use my 100s of old, non-premium V4L cartos (were VG flav)? Or should I buy some new cool carts or prems?
Use the old ones, but give the new ones a try too. I love the WOW cartos best.

3. If I use the old cartos, do I need to wash them? Or can I just refill with a similar flav?
I usually refill with similar flavor, but have washed them at times. Just run warm water through, blow, run warm water through and blow until no more water comes out then refill. I never let them dry or let them sit before vaping.

I didn't used to refill much, but it is a huge money saver and really easy to do when you find a system that works for you! Good luck!

Luma

ECF Veteran
Everyone has their own preferences, but I have found this works best for me... (I am a huge fan of the K.I.S.S. {Keep it simple stupid} method of almost anything I do lol!)

I generally put the .... plug and condom on, pry off the white cap, tilt my cartos (so the juice doesn't go down the hole) and drop 2 drops, turn, drop 2 drops, turn, drop 2 drops and so on letting the juice soak in until it looks like it isn't soaking in anymore, then put it in my battery cover, and spin. Then I put the cap back on, take a quick peek through the hole and if I can't see through it, I blow into a napkin or tissue a few times until I can see through it (so as not to get juice when I draw on it) then screw it back on the batter and vape away. Hint - I found fishing the carto from the bottom of the battery bag to be a pain, so I cut the bag until it was just the size of the carto and sew the end closed - or you can use duct tape if you are lazy lol. Then it is just right for spinning.

Use the old ones, but give the new ones a try too. I love the WOW cartos best.

I usually refill with similar flavor, but have washed them at times. Just run warm water through, blow, run warm water through and blow until no more water comes out then refill. I never let them dry or let them sit before vaping.

I didn't used to refill much, but it is a huge money saver and really easy to do when you find a system that works for you! Good luck!

This ftw. :)

Mark37643

ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2010
Tennessee
I get up in the morning and pour a cup of OJ. Then I take my small 'S' hook (which I used needle nose pliers to slightly straighten one end) and pry off the white caps of my 5 carts I use everyday. Then, while eating breakfast, I drip right on top of the filler and watch the liquid soak in until it starts to soak in more slowly and the filler looks more wet on top, then I stop. If I accidentally drip too much, I put the end of a paper towel in the open end and blow through the battery end one time, and it's clear. As long as I can see through the middle, it's fine. Then I put my white caps back on. Total time for breakfast and refilling for the day, 10 mins. It takes me 30 mins to get ready for work, including breakfast/filling. The condom method made me count too much and the ends of the carts needed wiping off and the condoms needed rinsing and drying...yawn. My carts tastes great all day long. I used to refill empty prefilled cartridges, but it never tasted the same. I would suggest getting new carts. I like cool carts way better. They hold between 20-30 drops each fill. Just my opinion though. I refill my cool carts at least 10-15 times...minimum. I never clean them, I just toss after two or three weeks. Once I commit a cart to a flavor, I never change it. I threw away carts today that I had used for 3 weeks...refilled almost everyday. Still worked fine, just felt like it was time. Good luck, this is how I found filling happiness. :D

GrannyM

ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2009
Saginaw, MI

:2cool:

Jeff,
All good suggestions here from the other posters. A few things to add.

If your old cartos weren't vaped completely dry, they should be fine just to refill with a similar flavor. If they were vaped too far down, there is a chance that the filler may have "fused" somewhat & they won't be able to absorb the juice well. In that case, you'd be better off getting blanks. I get the impression that you're not the carto washing type person. I find if I top off my cartos regularly (I just remove the top piece & drip into the filler), I can get on average 6 more ml through them. This depends on the carto & juice of course, but this is enough for me & I don't bother with the washing.

Also, be aware that VG is thicker and so takes longer to soak in. The Taryn spin is your best friend! And if you're filling a new blank, try letting the juice soak in overnight - you'll be surprised how dry that filler looks the next morning! - and then add a little more juice.

Finally, I'm assuming you will be using V4L's VG juices. I don't know how much V4l has in stock, but if you have to get VG from somewhere else it's liable to be much thicker & in that case, you'd want to thin it with water or vodka.

Good luck!

JenJen

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 27, 2009
Sunny Arizona
I actually use to just remove the cap, tilt, 2 drops turn, 2 drops turn until saturated. Just kind of topping off. This works well if you are home and sitting around and can do that every hour or so. But I played around with the taryn spin and was amazed how much more juice I could get in. So when I was leaving the house for several hours I started doing that to a couple of cartos before I left so I wouldn't run out of juice. Honestly, it lasts a long as a new prefilled carto when you use that method. Now I pretty much give it a spin every time lol. However you end up doing it, you will be amazed at how easy it becomes and by how much money you will save!

jamvector

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2010
Wisconsin
Hey Jeffree: Not to be redundant, but I think I have tried everything ever posted over the last year. I used to work in batch mode, refilling about 30 cartos every two weeks, complete boil / cleaning every two or three months. This fall however I migrated to the "topping off" mode of operation, and settled into this mainly because I'm lazy and it's easier. Essentially, rather than batch process refills, I start with between 4 and 6 new coolcart blanks, and top off / refill every day or every other day by simply removing the mouthpiece cap and dripping into the side. I don't mess with the caps at all this way and it saves a lot of time and hassle. I do sanitize the cartos at least every other day with a clorox wipe, then after the carto performance drops, I rotate a new one in and toss the spent one into my recycle bucket. I will maintain my boiling routine as always, but refilling a small number of carts routinely without messing with caps and buttplugs and condoms is easier in my opinion.

The other way to look at this is from one of two perspectives: Cartos or Juice. I used to always keep filled cartos accessible at home, work, and in the vehicle. Now I keep juice at work and home instead of a bunch of cartos; then I don't have to keep track of as many components, less stuff to remember to take places. I keep three manuals at work with around 4 carts (2 in use, 2 in reserve), one spare manual with a filled cart in the truck for backup, two manuals at home and for commute, and another two manuals at home in reserve, plus one more dedicated to 8mg / low nic for late night vaping.

Having said all that, the only real downside to this pattern is juice variety; fortunately I only vape a couple of different flavors anymore so it works out ok. For those who like more variety, establishing a pattern based on carts rather than juice would make more sense.

Tenebrae

ECF Veteran
Dec 8, 2009
Bay Area California
If you spring for new cartos I recommend cool carts. From what I remember the VG carts tended to get warm more quickly than the standard vg/pg mix.

Also, you should get at least 1 pack of new carts so you can get the easy to remove rubber tip. I like refilling way better now that the top comes off without breaking half the time. If you end up having to mix your own stuff have patience. It can be tedious at first but once you find the right ratio you can mix up large batches and be content.

Good luck and happy vaping :)

A pin down the side of the cart while filling helps aid absorption, especially on new carts.

lonercom

ECF Veteran
If you're gonna reuse a couple hundred at a time, put the plugs in-get a syringe-fill to overflowing and draw back the excess. I have filled literally 300 in a day. Easy peasy. Great to do while watching a football game. Sounds like it's video time for the fogsite.

**Just don't try high fiving anyone with the needle in your hand.***

jeffree

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2010
california
Well, I received everything today... 10 cool carts and VG juice... and just 10 minutes ago, filled my first two cartos and took a vape on the old balcony.

Drum roll, please... magnificent! In fact, I had maybe the best vape experience I've ever had. Killer clouds, flav, and TH. And I'm strangely proud in some small way that I helped prepare it. LOL. But what a dufus I was for waiting so long. Feel free to quote me on that when encountering other non-fillers. And thanks again for shining the light and easing the way. :2cool:

jeffree

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2010
california
Thanks, Sally. You were right, darn you! Any secret to your syringe method? I've only tried dripping, which took me about 10 minutes since I didn't know how much. I think I added more than the 20-30 drops I've read, but maybe it's because the cool carts were new. I guess I should trust you again and try a syringe, too. Why not? Anything more I should know about it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread