The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

How to see if your atomizer is truly dead with a Voltmeter

Discussion in 'Atomizer Issues' started by Stormynights, Jul 12, 2009.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Squawk15

Squawk15 Full Member

Nov 27, 2009
    United States
    Where does one purchase such a voltmeter?? I'd love to try...

2. Cherice

Cherice Super Member ECF Veteran

Sep 27, 2009
    Palm Harbor, FL
  3. tattoo131313

tattoo131313 Senior Member ECF Veteran

Dec 12, 2009
    Belleville IL.
    Thanks to everyone for all the info.This thread has been helpful.

4. Squawk15

Squawk15 Full Member

Nov 27, 2009
    United States
  5. Riatana

Riatana New Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Ohio
    You've all been so helpful to the other people asking questions on this thread, I was wondering if I could ask for some help as well :D

The picture of my voltmeter is attached, as a new forum member I can't post URLs yet.

I'm trying to figure out if my 401 atty is worth trying to clean out, or if it's just DEAD. I'm not sure what settings I should have it set on, what that blue wheel does (if it's even something I need to mess with), and which out of the THREE holes should the black and red probes be plugged in to?

Also, I noticed that it seems like attys for different models should read different things. Is there some place I can find that information? I have quite a few different models.

Any help you can offer would be great!

Attached Files:

6. Wireguy

Wireguy Super Member ECF Veteran

Oct 24, 2009
    Birmingham Al
    Black bottom, red middle.
    510=2.5+-
    I believe most are around 3.something. Someone will be along soon with the real numbers.

7. LameBMX

LameBMX Senior Member ECF Veteran

Sep 4, 2009
    Stow, OH
    from what i have read previously this thread is the resource for the numbers. though not a lot of people have posted their findings.

the previous poster had it right where to put your leads. the center knob in the picture is right to test up to 200ohms, pointed straight down.

turn it on and touch the tips of the leads together. it should read something less than an ohm. this is the resistance in the cables and leads themselves. now touch one lead to the center of the atty and the other one to the threads. there will be a little bit of jumping around and jot down the number when it settles down. it may flop from like 3.0 to 3.1 or something, this is normal. now you subtract the resistance from the cables and leads and post the number up here. if its a 510 it should be close to 2.5ohms.
    if you can test all your atty's and put the numbers up here as i dont recall seeing too many 401 atty figures in here.

8. heizmon

heizmon New Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Durham, UK
    Hey guys, i'm a first time e-cig user and after finally getting mine in the mail i was instantly in love and put down fags for what seems for good. However, on my first night of vaping a friend spilled beer on my e cig, but afterwards it seemed to work fine until the next day where from then on its producing no vapour. The weird thing is i will leave it by itself for about an hour or so and take a draw and get one hit of vape then no more, i've tried brand new carts and re charged the batts both of which are brand new so i gather it must have been the atomizer that has failed. Any thoughts? Should I attempt at cleaning the atomizer or maybe work at getting a warranty replacement (I have a feeling Gamucci the supplier is too shady to reimburse) or just get a new one?

9. LameBMX

Sep 4, 2009
    Stow, OH
    that sounds more like a battery issue man.

10. monkeyuk

monkeyuk Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jan 16, 2010
    Bristol
    Tried my black Evo atty an it read 3 ohms.....minus the 0.3 reading for the leads touched together = 2.7ohms. Sound about right?

11. paso

paso Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jan 5, 2010
    Rocklin Calif.
    Ok I checked my atty's and they all read about 2.4 even a brand new one, so I guess thats good. Now I have atty's that quite producing vapor and have a very warm drag. I have tryed to even flood them and still the same. What else can be wrong with atty's that are not dead?????

12. LameBMX

Sep 4, 2009
    Stow, OH
    you could also check into the battery, im sure there are plenty of threads that can assist you

13. sixofusernames

sixofusernames Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 25, 2010
    california
    if you have a recessed atty like my 501, do you touch the bridge and the threads?

14. LameBMX

Sep 4, 2009
    Stow, OH
    touch the center spot and the outside of the threads ... that center piece sits on an o-ring ... n need to poke inside where the bridge is.

15. sixofusernames

sixofusernames Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 25, 2010
    california
    oooohhh, okay, got it, thanks! Im going to try that, and see what my atty's read. thanks for the info!

16. emilypacey
    This message by emilypacey has been removed from public view. Deleted by a moderator, Mar 17, 2010, Reason: no relation to topic.
    Mar 16, 2010
  17. ninaxiong
    This message by ninaxiong has been removed from public view. Deleted by a moderator, Aug 23, 2011, Reason: no longer registered at ECF.
    Mar 26, 2010
  18. Haytoni

Haytoni Super Member ECF Veteran

Jan 20, 2010
    N.W. Florida
    huh!!!!!!!!

19. sanfordf

sanfordf Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sounds like our friends in China are telling (?) us that we should use our tongues to test the attie! I have licked the 9v to test if it is working but don't know if this is gonna work on a attie without pumping up the voltage running through it. Hmmm,...maybe if I connect the attie to some wire from an extension cord and plug it into a wall outlet, maybe I can get a attie to come to life or at least move to the highest level of vaping at 120 volts! Oh, wait I need DC not AC. Darn.;)

20. Nietzsc

Nietzsc Senior Member ECF Veteran

Sep 27, 2009
    México
    What are you talking about? everybody knows that when a meter reads high ohms from an atty, its destiny is the cementery of attys (at least I have one where they all rest in peace)

just because the factory doesn't test them with a meter does not mean that a meter can't be used for that purpose

21. Guessologist

Guessologist Full Member

Feb 7, 2010
    Australia
    Had my best 510 atty cark it the other night, resistance is somewhere in the realm of 150-350 ohms now (260 last time I checked it, it's been wandering a little every time I check the silly thing). My other attys are sitting on 2.2 ohms each, but they are mere shadow of their former new selves. No amount of cleaning seems to want to bring them down, looks like it's time for new ones.

22. david_juan28

david_juan28 Full Member

Mar 19, 2010
    US
    First replace your batteries with new one and check if it is working, then your automizer seem to be not working. You can even charge your batteries once more and try it.