How to see if your atomizer is truly dead with a Voltmeter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riatana

Jan 14, 2010
Ohio
You've all been so helpful to the other people asking questions on this thread, I was wondering if I could ask for some help as well :D

The picture of my voltmeter is attached, as a new forum member I can't post URLs yet.

I'm trying to figure out if my 401 atty is worth trying to clean out, or if it's just DEAD. I'm not sure what settings I should have it set on, what that blue wheel does (if it's even something I need to mess with), and which out of the THREE holes should the black and red probes be plugged in to?

Also, I noticed that it seems like attys for different models should read different things. Is there some place I can find that information? I have quite a few different models.

Any help you can offer would be great!

Attachments

• picture of our voltometer.jpg
    picture of our voltometer.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 102

LameBMX

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2009
Stow, OH
www.youtube.com
from what i have read previously this thread is the resource for the numbers. though not a lot of people have posted their findings.

the previous poster had it right where to put your leads. the center knob in the picture is right to test up to 200ohms, pointed straight down.

turn it on and touch the tips of the leads together. it should read something less than an ohm. this is the resistance in the cables and leads themselves. now touch one lead to the center of the atty and the other one to the threads. there will be a little bit of jumping around and jot down the number when it settles down. it may flop from like 3.0 to 3.1 or something, this is normal. now you subtract the resistance from the cables and leads and post the number up here. if its a 510 it should be close to 2.5ohms.
if you can test all your atty's and put the numbers up here as i dont recall seeing too many 401 atty figures in here.

heizmon

Jan 25, 2010
Durham, UK
Hey guys, i'm a first time e-cig user and after finally getting mine in the mail i was instantly in love and put down fags for what seems for good. However, on my first night of vaping a friend spilled beer on my e cig, but afterwards it seemed to work fine until the next day where from then on its producing no vapour. The weird thing is i will leave it by itself for about an hour or so and take a draw and get one hit of vape then no more, i've tried brand new carts and re charged the batts both of which are brand new so i gather it must have been the atomizer that has failed. Any thoughts? Should I attempt at cleaning the atomizer or maybe work at getting a warranty replacement (I have a feeling Gamucci the supplier is too shady to reimburse) or just get a new one?

emilypacey

Mar 16, 2010
London
  • Deleted by Lightgeoduck
  • Reason: no relation to topic

ninaxiong

Unregistered Supplier
  • Deleted by Misty
  • Reason: no longer registered at ECF

Haytoni

ECF Veteran
Jan 20, 2010
N.W. Florida
i think it's difficult for you to test atomizer by voltmeter,in the fact ,durning prodcution,they have already test ,if ok,then to the nest step.the atomizer is orgnized by heating wire and other accessory,when heating wire is finished,we need to test it by equipment,if the value is over the requirement ,we need to throw it away.if ok,then next step,put in a slot,wrap by pv material ,then ,test it again by equipment,and get the value .if still pass ,then they are puted in a atomizer tube,then a atomizer is finish ,and then we need to test by mouth .at this time ,it's can't test by voltmeter .if it's a finished atomizer ,you only can test by you mouth and feeling.
If the value for heating wire is too large,it will make the smokeing less.
If the value is too small ,it's also have problem.
So it's important to control the value of heating wire ,to promise the smokeing is at good condition.
huh!!!!!!!!

sanfordf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 28, 2010
Northern San Diego county
huh!!!!!!!!

i think it's difficult for you to test atomizer by voltmeter,in the fact ,durning prodcution,they have already test ,if ok,then to the nest step.The atomizer is orgnized by heating wire and other accessory,when heating wire is finished,we need to test it by equipment,if the value is over the requirement ,we need to throw it away.if ok,then next step,put in a slot,wrap by pv material ,then ,test it again by equipment,and get the value .If still pass ,then they are puted in a atomizer tube,then a atomizer is finish ,and then we need to test by mouth .At this time ,it's can't test by voltmeter .If it's a finished atomizer ,you only can test by you mouth and feeling.
If the value for heating wire is too large,it will make the smokeing less.
If the value is too small ,it's also have problem.
So it's important to control the value of heating wire ,to promise the smokeing is at good condition.

Sounds like our friends in China are telling (?) us that we should use our tongues to test the attie! I have licked the 9v to test if it is working but don't know if this is gonna work on a attie without pumping up the voltage running through it. Hmmm,...maybe if I connect the attie to some wire from an extension cord and plug it into a wall outlet, maybe I can get a attie to come to life or at least move to the highest level of vaping at 120 volts! Oh, wait I need DC not AC. Darn.;)

Last edited:

Guessologist

Feb 7, 2010
Australia
Had my best 510 atty cark it the other night, resistance is somewhere in the realm of 150-350 ohms now (260 last time I checked it, it's been wandering a little every time I check the silly thing). My other attys are sitting on 2.2 ohms each, but they are mere shadow of their former new selves. No amount of cleaning seems to want to bring them down, looks like it's time for new ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread