Not open for further replies.

basilray

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2010
Minneapolis
www.youtube.com
I got a cheapo multimeter off fleaBay. When I power it up to check an atty, the digital display shows a 1. The number doesn't change if I touch the prongs together. Does this mean I should be subrtracting a 1 from my overall reading?

All my standard atties measure out at 3.5 and my LR's at 2.4 - 2.5. Does this mean the standards are really 2.5 and the LR's 1.4 - 1.5?

LameBMX

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2009
Stow, OH
www.youtube.com
I got a cheapo multimeter off fleaBay. When I power it up to check an atty, the digital display shows a 1. The number doesn't change if I touch the prongs together. Does this mean I should be subrtracting a 1 from my overall reading?

All my standard atties measure out at 3.5 and my LR's at 2.4 - 2.5. Does this mean the standards are really 2.5 and the LR's 1.4 - 1.5?

Yep which is right on with the other readings we have posted. Also that is what the LR 510 Atty's are rated at.

But 1ohm is pretty high resistance for the test leads. You may want to try cleaning them off some, tips and where they plug into the meter at.

basilray

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2010
Minneapolis
www.youtube.com
Yep which is right on with the other readings we have posted. Also that is what the LR 510 Atty's are rated at.

But 1ohm is pretty high resistance for the test leads. You may want to try cleaning them off some, tips and where they plug into the meter at.

Will do. I mean the thing is brand new, so I don't think there will be much to clean. I suppose getting a new 9v and popping that in might help as I'm just using the cheapo that it came with...it's probably worth a shot.

nowhereman

ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
Alabama
gallery.tarantulas.us
For the brain dead , lend me a hand.
Here's what I have and just where would you set it and what readings am I looking for !

I know ,,,dang another noob !

TIA, maybe this will help others as well.

Attachments

• DSCF0029 [800x600].jpg
    DSCF0029 [800x600].jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 82
  • DSCF0030 [800x600].jpg
    DSCF0030 [800x600].jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 61
  • DSCF0031 [800x600].jpg
    DSCF0031 [800x600].jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 73
  • DSCF0032 [800x600].jpg
    DSCF0032 [800x600].jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 79

basilray

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2010
Minneapolis
www.youtube.com
For the brain dead , lend me a hand.
Here's what I have and just where would you set it and what readings am I looking for !

I know ,,,dang another noob !

TIA, maybe this will help others as well.

It should go to the lowest numbered ohm setting, or in this case, the 200. At least that's how I understand it.

nowhereman

ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
Alabama
gallery.tarantulas.us
It should go to the lowest numbered ohm setting, or in this case, the 200. At least that's how I understand it.

Thank you !
On an LR it sits about 1.6 to 1.8 and on a regular about 2.6 to 2.8.
Guess that's pretty much on spot...

Just checked 3 suspected dead (against 2 fresh out of the pack) and yes they were dead !
Nothing.

Here's a few visuals for future reference.

1. DEAD
2. Standard atty , good.
3. Low resistance, good

Attachments

• DSCF0034.jpg
    DSCF0034.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 118
  • DSCF0035.jpg
    DSCF0035.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 121
  • DSCF0036.jpg
    DSCF0036.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:

pm2006

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2010
S.E. Michigan
I would like to thank everyone (especially BMX) for all the wonderful info. I think I understand it better now than I ever have! Unfortunately, that's not saying much. I am however, ready to buy a multimeter and give it a shot. I read every post as should everyone who has a question. I think almost all of the questions have been answered. Thanks also to all the people who posted their results. BMX was right. That helped a lot. I hope you all continue to post so that when I get mine tested, I will have more to compare. Can cartomizers be tested too? Where would we put the leads?

horton

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2010
Left Side of Florida
I read this thread with great interest. It's always nice to be able to test your equipment to make sure it's up to snuff. Hope it's OK to say this...... think I saw someone already mention Flea Bay. You can find fantastic deals on high quality meters (like Flukes) there. I bought $300+ meter for $35. The only reason it was being sold was the company that owned it did not want to bother sending it back to Fluke for recalibration. You can find digital auto ranging meters all the time in the Industrial section. There are also attachments you can add to your leads that have little alligator clips on them or "hook clips" to help free up a hand when measuring. They come in very handy.

It's just a thought.... hope it helps someone.... Horton

thebat1

ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2010

Prodigal441

ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2011
NH
If ya'all would like pick up a good one like I use on my job, get the Fluke 125. If not, the one from Harbor Freight will work just fine for e-cigs. I think I'm going to pick one up myself just for my attys.

Fluke 125 scopemeter

Holy Crap!!! A Fluke 125!! I think that is a little overkill. Any Fluke multimeter would be fine. Even the cheap HF is more than enough for making measurements for our ecig stuff. No need to go nuts here.

phoenixfire

ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2011
Southeast Mo.
I have worked in electronics off & on since 1977 and the Fluke is a beautiful meter and anything made by Fluke is top of the line but Wayyyyy beyond what is needed to test attys. Besides how many attys could you throw away for the 2 grand price tag of the Fluke?
Stormynights, the dial on the left side of you analog meter is the zero adjust, The harbor freight meters, while funcanable are not known for accuracy. also every body remember to keep your fingers off of the metal part of the tips while taking readings, you will get some really weard readings otherwise.

mmmelaney

ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2009
Seattle, WA
You can test cartomizers too, is the same procedure, red prob (+) in the center post and black prob (-) on the outer threaded ring, the only difference is that a cartomizer has a female conector, like the battery of a 510

So for a Boge or some such carto with stuffing you would stick it down the center hole of the stuffing? Anyone have a pic?

What about Joye's where you can't get past the last plastic seal?

roberted5

ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2010
Missouri
To test your ohm meter you can buy a 3-5 pack of 2.5Kohm-10Kohm resistors with a 5%-10% tolerance from your local Radio-Shack for 1.00-1.50.I'd buy 2.5K-5K since that's around the area your going to be tesing around.If your using some good digitals a 5K resistor with a 10% tolerance will read 5.05 to 4.95Kohms.The tolerence is just margin of error and really nothing to worry about.Most digitals will round to 5K anyway.

It doesn't matter where the positive or negitive leads are connected on the resistor or your atty,but you do want one on the threads and one on the center contact of atty because that's where the battery's contact points are touching,plus most atty's threads and middle contact are gold plated.If your using clips make sure the side with the lead soldered to it is the one touching what your measuring or the reading will be off.
My Ego 510's threads and middle contact post are gold plated and read,new,right around 4K ohms.

roberted5

ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2010
Missouri
To test your ohm meter you can buy a 3-5 pack of 2.5Kohm-10Kohm resistors with a 5%-10% tolerance from your local Radio-Shack for 1.00-1.50.I'd buy 2.5K-5K since that's around the area your going to be tesing around.If your using some good digitals a 5K resistor with a 10% tolerance will read 5.50 to 4.5Kohms.The tolerence is just margin of error and really nothing to worry about.Most digitals will round to 5K anyway.

It doesn't matter where the positive or negitive leads are connected on the resistor or your atty,but you do want one on the threads and one on the center contact of atty because that's where the battery's contact points are touching,plus most atty's threads and middle contact are gold plated.If your using clips make sure the side with the lead soldered to it is the one touching what your measuring or the reading will be off.
My Ego 510's threads and middle contact post are gold plated and read,new,right around 4K ohms.

You test a cartomizer the same way,one contact touching the threads of your cart the other that touches the inside of baterry that surrounded by small o-ring.You don't have to get inside the cart,in fact that's not what your battery is reading.It's the threads and middle contact of your cart that touches post surrounded by o-ring inside battery threads that your battery is reading as resistence.

Last edited:

bliss56

Jan 29, 2011
w. mass
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread