How to start a fire with a cartomizer and a mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
Recently Ive been watching a lot of Survivorman and Dual Survival shows and the thought occurred to me that in a pinch you could use your mod to start a fire.

Its really easy to do and might end up saving someone's life, especially since many of us dont carry lighters any more.

Im using a smoktech flanged carto in a carto tank with my Provari but you should be able to achieve similar results with just about any combination of mod and carto or even an rba

First you want to screw the carto into your mod. Having a quality mod made of stainless steel helps because its tougher than the carto. You want to put the carto against a hard surface and push down. Then push again on the opposite side.You should start to see where its loosened from the base. Gently wiggle the carto back and forth and the cylinder should slide right off.

Then carefully unroll the filler material. When youre done it should look like this. cartoInside.jpg Unroll the smaller filler and CAREFULLY expose the kanthal wire underneath.

Then just as carefully, screw the carto back onto your mod and give it a test fire. You should see the wire glowing cherry red after a second or two.

You can start the fire by holding this under dry wood shavings, down from your coat, paper, bark or whatever else you have handy and dry.

If the weather cooperates tomorrow in Virginia Im going to have my son film this and post the video for everyone to see.

Thanks and hope that comes in handy one day.

Last edited:

Asmo6

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2014
United States
Thinking this would be a ton easier with virtually any other atomizer...

Any kanger clearo or tank. Just pull the stem, direct access to a flaming hot coil. Any dripper, pull the cap, yank the wick. Flaming hot coil. Same with literally any rba. The carto is probably the hardest to do it with. A single coil carto I'd just pull the polyfill with a car key, and then a bit of paper in the carto should ignite.

natewesselink

Verified Member
Feb 7, 2014
northwest arkansas
ive thought about ways to use my vaporizer to start fires as well. it would definately be easier with everything but a carto as you have easier access to the coil itself but i can see using a carto instead of my microcoil builds as i always carry around a spare carto but never a spare coil. i personally would leave this as a last resort as i still carry a zippo with me every day and have at least 2 other ways to start a fire as well(keep spare bic's in the car as well as a ferro rod and striker in a bag) the only thing i did with my zippo is add a ranger band to it to keep the lighter fluid from evaporating. just cut a piece of bicycle inertube and slip it over the zippo. itll last about 2 months that way but i always top off the fluid every month to be safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread