Status
Not open for further replies.

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
Nico - Nice work, as ever :)

Sun - I suggest adding one of those collapsible warning messages that dsappear once the reader had read it once and closes it; as we did for the experimenters forum.

Unprotected batteries is one obvious thing to mention - plus some common examples and alternatives. And there are some topics we can add too.

Kinabaloo--The protected battery is key--and a banner will be added soon---Sun

nicowolf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2008
near Akron, OH, USA

Sun - I suggest adding one of those collapsible warning messages that dsappear once the reader has read it once and closes it; as we did for the experimenters forum.

Unprotected batteries is one obvious thing to mention - plus some common examples and alternatives. And there are some other topics we could add too.

Oooooh, that is a great idea! Are you heading up the committee? Sorry, I couldn't resist. Seriously though, it is a good idea.

nicowolf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2008
near Akron, OH, USA

Sun - I suggest adding one of those collapsible warning messages to the top of the modders forum that disappear once the reader has read it once and closes it; as we did for the experimenters forum.

Unprotected batteries is one obvious thing to mention - plus some common examples and alternatives. And there are some other topics we could add too.

To use lead-free solder is another.

Perhaps suggest employing a mechanical first hand to make soldering safer.

To not experiment with mains or usb mods without being cometent to do so.

Slideable on/off override switch.

Patience !

Maybe we could do a thread where we all contribute our tips and tricks for general modding stuff and our cautions and warnings and hard knocks lessons.

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
Maybe we could do a thread where we all contribute our tips and tricks for general modding stuff and our cautions and warnings and hard knocks lessons.

Nicowolf--that is the purpose of a Banner--we can only advocate saftey--if people do not heed to warnings--they do so at their one risk--you have done a fine job here. All people trying to experiment and make MOD's do so at their own risk. ---------Sun

nicowolf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2008
near Akron, OH, USA
I purchased these batteries:
DealExtreme: $4.75 TrustFire Protected 14500 3.7V 900mAh Lithium Batteries (2-Pack Blue)

I have on the way to me, a 2aa box and a 4aa box, the 2aa box didn't have the on/off switch so I bought the other to steal it off as you showed in your other thread!

Great choice, Wildsky. Those batteries will work wonderfully. I will be sure to post the how to for putting a switch in the box too. I was debating about that, but if you are going to shop at RS because you can walk in and get it today, then you are going to need to know how to put in a kill switch. Thanks for helping me make up my mind.

It's bedtime for me - for 3 hours anyhow. I will catch up and post more on this mod tomorrow after another nap when I get home from work.

Di

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 30, 2008
*Australia*
well done nico,
I have followed your progrees with the mods here on this thread for months now,

you started out with 3 thumbs,
no knowledge and a million questions,
most of the answers you couldn't understand anyway.....
but it was fun to read and I fully understood your confusion
and frustration.

here you are a few months later,
what a difference,

you not only understand what is going on,
but you have it going on yourself !!!

brilliant, nico,
congratulations on a very impressive mod.

Unfortunately, I am still at the original point
where I want the mod, but just can't do it,
soldering irons and arthritic thumbs
just do not work together !!!!

Di .......

TnA

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2009
Fayetteville, NC
The atomizer connector also came from Radio Shack and is also widely available elsewhere.
Size N Coaxial DC Power Jack w/Switch - RadioShack.com
Size M Panel-mount Coaxial Power Jack w/Switch - RadioShack.com
It does not matter which one, both work the same. For the UK folks, I hear the one at Maplin's needs the center pin built up a little to make contact. There is a separate thread detailing the use of this part. I have also seen other DC parts in these sizes that may work but have not tried them yet.

Nicowolf, like so many have stated already, your work, effort, and sharing of knowledge has been truly invaluable and an inspiration! :thumbs:

I just went to another Radio Shack today to raid their parts bins and found an associate who actually knew about the stuff!! So, for those out there who were equally as ignorant as I, the difference between the Size N and Size M switches is the center post. The Size N has a larger center post and has proven to be the perfect connection for a 901 atomizer. The Size M w/ the smaller post has me batting .500 for connection w/ all of my 901 atomizers (unless I screw them on really really reaaalllllyyyy hard!). So, if possible, get your hands on the Size N switches for your 901 mods! (But not at the Radio Shack I just went to since I just bought out their stock! :D)

I have also used this switch with BAD luck 12VDC 50mA SPST 6.2x6.2 mm SMT Tact Switch, 9.5mm High - RadioShack.com. It could not handle the current and failed. I have had another modder tell me his did the same, so I went with a very amply rated switch for the tutorial.

Ack...I just finished my latest NicoStick in a AA box w/ this exact switch! 8-o I was really looking forward to the tactile switch experience. :(

rickstar009

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 6, 2009
Deal-extreme Enthusiast
Here's a conundrum for all to ponder and mull over ...what good is the mod going to be when you are unable to buy atomizers??? ....FDA ....bill in congress ....banned!! ....don't mean to be a downer and put a damper on nico's wonderful ...brilliant .....phenomenal ....Amazingly! Impressive Mod ..but what do we do when the atts run out and we are inevitably unable to buy anymore ..Just stare admiringly at nico's Mod and dream of it vaping your juice ~Sigh~ ..Can Nico make an atomizer?, or any other modders on here for that matter?? Probably not ...what are you to do ...I can stock up on atomizers, and have been, but they will run out eventually and there again we are staring aimlessly at are Mods wondering if there is another constructive use for this now useless thing.

I can make Juice and have become an old pro at it, that’s not my problem, my problem is i am skilled in many things but Atomizer construction & assembling is not one of them ....Will manufactures break the law and sell them anyway? i doubt it ....or will there be a black market manufacture selling inferior atomizers on the side and in alleyways away from the brightness of the street light, I for one will be hoping somebody will, inferior quality controlled atomizers or not *what choice will we have*. We will dam the FDA & congress for making us criminals and playing god with are well being and health ...I worry about it ..do you??

Excellent Mod though Nico, I tip my hat to you, Might give it a try myself, doesn't look very hard to make, probably got all the equipment i need in my garage, might also need to rad my brothers shed, but the only problem is finding the time ....I might even work on drawing up some blueprints and constructing my very own Atomizer, I’ll save! us all:D *Just don't hold your breathe on me having much or any success though.

Ps: I do hope my grammar-exclamations & punctuation was to your highest of standards this time Wolf?;)

Last edited:

bri1270

ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2009
Massachusetts - USA
Here's a conundrum for all to ponder and mull over ...what good is the mod going to be when you are unable to buy atomizers??? ....FDA ....bill in congress ....banned!!

Not a problem if you've stock piled.

And Nico - I love the AA battery holder with the switch built in...I could never get the cut out right on the AAA holder.

rickstar009

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 6, 2009
Deal-extreme Enthusiast
not a problem if you've stock piled.
==>> If e-smoking is banned
here's a conundrum for all to ponder and mull over

...i can stock up on atomizers, and have been, but they will run out eventually
<=== So will the Atomizers be banned as it's part of e-smoking, there will be nothing sold by suppliers in order to stock pile;)~Rick

Last edited:

LuckySevens4U

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2009
USA
You don't have to order attys from suppliers to stock pile. I believe we will still be able to order small packages from China and get parts. It's just how they label them, and yes, people should be stockpiling them now, but I still believe even with a ban, we can get them in small orders from China, just mix up your parts.

franklyspeaking

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2009
Arlington, Texas
www.pharceapp.com
You don't have to order attys from suppliers to stock pile. I believe we will still be able to order small packages from China and get parts. It's just how they label them, and yes, people should be stockpiling them now, but I still believe even with a ban, we can get them in small orders from China, just mix up your parts.

I agree Lucky, the juice will always be the issue and I think small orders of even juice will be able to pass most of the time.

BTW - Nico I love the new stick! Thanks again for taking the time to share your stuff in such a clear and concise way.

nicowolf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2008
near Akron, OH, USA
Ps: I do hope my grammar-exclamations & punctuation was to your highest of standards this time Wolf?;)

Hi Rickstar. I am not the grammar police. If I can understand someone without giving myself a headache, I leave the grammar and spelling stuff alone. This is the internet after all, and we are trying to convey our ideas in a timely way - not consulting dictionaries and such.

As for the content of your post, I prefer to leave the political and legal talk in the law forum. I detest politics, it always ends up with me feeling frustrated and powerless. Making mods makes me feel like I have the power to change maybe one little aspect of the experience for myself.

Regarding stockpiling, everyone must make these decisions for themselves. Personally, I have a modest stockpile of liquid as this is the part I worry about - heating coils are plentiful and electrical power is plentiful. Clean nicotine, I am not so sure of.

I have faith that some higher Being is looking out for me and that I have not been brought to this point only to be let down. Some good will come of this thread of my life.

When it comes to nicotine, I am a self-proclaimed addict and entirely unapologetic about it. I will go to whatever length is necessary to get my fix. I have done much worse than a clandestine drug deal for the sake of procuring my precious nicotine. If someone would tell me how to inject it intravenously, I might just do it. I am a junky and the FDA cannot stop a junky. If they could, there would be no heroine, ectasy, crack, or any other mind altering substance in existence on the street.

I do not spend my time worrying about the what ifs. I spend it pondering and researching how could I....(insert objective here).

Thanks for the props on the mod though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread