How To: The New and Improved NicoStick

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccure

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2009
Colombia, South America
No, I'm going to take apart a couple of dead batteries to get the connectors.

Paradiso,

Be careful. The bronze part goes into the tube about 6 - 7 mm and is very very well glued to it. I was not able to take it out without cutting the tube. Maybe you have to heat the tube and that will help. I have not try it yet.

In the inner part of the bronze you will find a kind of Mic, after that you will find the protection battery chip; if you are careful, you can reuse it in your mod. Then you will find the battery and the led.

Good luck and let me know how you did it.

Paradiso

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2009
MA - USA
Paradiso,

Be careful. The bronze part goes into the tube about 6 - 7 mm and is very very well glued to it. I was not able to take it out without cutting the tube. Maybe you have to heat the tube and that will help. I have not try it yet.

In the inner part of the bronze you will find a kind of Mic, after that you will find the protection battery chip; if you are careful, you can reuse it in your mod. Then you will find the battery and the led.

You're way ahead of me ccure. Thanks for the heads up. I was expecting to heat the tube and wiggling the connector out. This will be my first shot at it so who knows.

nicowolf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2008
near Akron, OH, USA
I am putting this project on hold briefly. It is becoming apparent to me that I need to start even more basic than this. It seems there are MANY people here now who have missed the basic information about wiring battery mods. I will go do a thread about the basics for them so that they can work with that information and I can focus on this information. The basic wiring for this is the same as the original NicoStick in case you just can't wait to get started making one. I will be back.

sMuCk_fOg

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2009
Lakewood,California - u$a
Making mods makes me feel like I have the power to change maybe one little aspect of the experience for myself.

I have faith that some higher Being is looking out for me and that I have not been brought to this point only to be let down. Some good will come of this thread of my life.

When it comes to nicotine, I am a self-proclaimed addict and entirely unapologetic about it. I will go to whatever length is necessary to get my fix. I have done much worse than a clandestine drug deal for the sake of procuring my precious nicotine. If someone would tell me how to inject it intravenously, I might just do it. I am a junky and the FDA cannot stop a junky. If they could, there would be no heroine, ectasy, crack, or any other mind altering substance in existence on the street.

I do not spend my time worrying about the what ifs. I spend it pondering and researching how could I....(insert objective here).

Hey Nico'
The Fact that you took the time to post all the great info ,pic's and tutorials (not to mention FINDING the R.S. dc connector) Has changed my vaping experience for the better in a BIG way.

I never would have tried messing with this electrical wireing,soldering and such without seeing you go from knowing nothing (like me) to building your own nicoboxs.

I built one yesterday plus a manual switch passthru' and am building another right now...
Thanks so much! , I love your positive attitude as well.
Keep yer head up! and keep up the good work!
Happy Vaping...
Fog

Last edited:

sMuCk_fOg

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2009
I found that my 3 X AAA batteries died after about 15 hours of moderate vaping
(was also using usb passy , and dse 901's here and there)

I don't fully understand MAH , MA, OHM and such,but from what I've been reading it seems that my batteries should have lasted longer?

They are NIMH 1.2 volt , 700 MAH wired in series
= 3.6 v @ 2100 MAH. they don't state the Ma's however
But when fully charged they pump the steam BIG tYmE.

Could the ma's be to low? watcha' think?

My job keeps me away from home sometimes as much as 18 hrs. a day and I really want to build (or buy) a combination that would last as long as possible,with no need to carry extra batts. or chargers.

If I had something that would last me 2,or 3 days between charges of HEAVY vaping,I would be a very happy addict!

I'm now on hour 6 of my latest box (3AA in series - 1.2 v,and 2100 MAH each = 6300 MAH? ) should last about 3.5 years between charges? haha j/k.
but how long yaz think?
any suggestions?

I'll be off to Rat Shack tomorrow to raid their stash again. LMAO... I don't know if I'm more addicted to Vaping or building Vapes at this point.
Thanks all, for your great and helpfull posts !:p
Fog

MoonMan

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2009

I don't fully understand MAH , MA, OHM and such,but from what I've been reading it seems that my batteries should have lasted longer?

My job keeps me away from home sometimes as much as 18 hrs. a day and I really want to build (or buy) a combination that would last as long as possible,with no need to carry extra batts. or chargers.

If I had something that would last me 2,or 3 days between charges of HEAVY vaping,I would be a very happy addict!

I'm now on hour 6 of my latest box (3AA in series - 1.2 v,and 2100 MAH each = 6300 MAH? ) should last about 3.5 years between charges? haha j/k.
but how long yaz think?
any suggestions?

I'll be off to Rat Shack tomorrow to raid their stash again. LMAO... I don't know if I'm more addicted to Vaping or building Vapes at this point.
Fog

Hooking up batteries in series raises the voltage, not the capacity. Hooking them up in parallel raises the capacity, not the voltage. Your math is wrong, you can either raise the voltage or the capacity, not both.

If you want a usable voltage with a high capacity, I recommend using some 3.7v batteries and using them in parallel - or two 3v high capacity batteries in serial, but personally I don't trust running 6v through an atomizer. Going with a lower voltage will also extend the battery charge.

Last edited:

nicowolf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2008
near Akron, OH, USA

but how long yaz think?
any suggestions?

Fog

Hooking up batteries in series raises the voltage, not the capacity. Hooking them up in parallel raises the capacity, not the voltage. Your math is wrong.

If you want a usable voltage with a high capacity, I recommend using some 3.7v batteries and using them in parallel - or two 3v high capacity batteries in serial, but personally I don't trust running 6v through an atomizer. Going with a lower voltage will also extend the battery charge.

MoonMan is absolutely correct. Wiring in series raises the voltage. Wiring in parallel raises the capacity.

SmuckFog, a regular battery is usually only 180mAh. 2100 mAh should last you more than ten times as long. You should be pretty well set there. My guess would be about a day and a half on that new mod before changing batteries.

sMuCk_fOg

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2009
Hooking up batteries in series raises the voltage, not the capacity. Hooking them up in parallel raises the capacity, not the voltage. Your math is wrong.

You're actually getting good vape from 1.2 volts? Perhaps you meant they are hooked up in parallel and you're actually getting 3.6 volts?

No...as you said...in series raises volts,not MAH , so I'm getting 3.6...but multimeter says 4.2 volts whae fresh....thanks for the info tho'

MoonMan

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2009
No...as you said...in series raises volts,not MAH , so I'm getting 3.6...but multimeter says 4.2 volts whae fresh....thanks for the info tho'

Sorry, I noticed my mistake there. You're getting 3.6 - 4.2 volts (with freshly charged batteries having a slightly higher voltage for a while), but your capacity will only be the value of one battery.

Last edited:

sMuCk_fOg

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2009
MoonMan is absolutely correct. Wiring in series raises the voltage. Wiring in parallel raises the capacity.

SmuckFog, a regular battery is usually only 180mAh. 2100 mAh should last you more than ten times as long. You should be pretty well set there. My guess would be about a day and a half on that new mod before changing batteries.

I've been planning to place an order with DE. but haven't done so yet.. I'm planning to rewire in parallel when I get my order ,but for now I'll just stick with my 3AA batt box.

Thanks again!
Fog

Vee

Apr 27, 2009
Los Angeles, U.S.A.
My question is what are the amps that the 901 and 510 atties pull? Seems it would make the most sense to do your type of mod, Nico, rather than a 6v magnum type. Wire 2+ 3.6v batteries in parallel to preserve atty life and allow for longest running time before recharging.

What about a normal 901 or 510 battery? What do they deliver in volts on a full charge? I'm wondering if the atties (or the heating element at least) is rated for a max voltage/temp.

The only way to figure out how long a battery is going to last is if we find out how many amps the atty is pulling right?

Ooh, and a thought for you Nico.... if you're using lithium batteries for a mod, is it possible to use cell phone bats? You could use one (or two? is that possible?) 900mAh Blackberry Pearl Bat and have them take up less room than 2 AAs. Might give you more room and maybe an easy way to charge the bats in the case? Just a thought, I'm an idiot in these things (but trying :)

Paradiso

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2009
MA - USA
Paradiso,

Well the 401 connector just pulled right out, it is just a friction fit. If there was any glue, I didn't see any. Since I haven't gotten my batteroes from DE yet, I made a USB passthrough (awesome, my first mod!). Soon as the batteries get here, NicoStick!

nicowolf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2008
near Akron, OH, USA
My question is what are the amps that the 901 and 510 atties pull? Seems it would make the most sense to do your type of mod, Nico, rather than a 6v magnum type. Wire 2+ 3.6v batteries in parallel to preserve atty life and allow for longest running time before recharging.

What about a normal 901 or 510 battery? What do they deliver in volts on a full charge? I'm wondering if the atties (or the heating element at least) is rated for a max voltage/temp.

The only way to figure out how long a battery is going to last is if we find out how many amps the atty is pulling right?

Ooh, and a thought for you Nico.... if you're using lithium batteries for a mod, is it possible to use cell phone bats? You could use one (or two? is that possible?) 900mAh Blackberry Pearl Bat and have them take up less room than 2 AAs. Might give you more room and maybe an easy way to charge the bats in the case? Just a thought, I'm an idiot in these things (but trying :)

Cell phone batteries have been used in other mods. The difficult thing with cell phone batteries is that you have to find a way to charge them. The circuitry inside cell phones contains intricate stuff to protect the battery. I do not know enough to put all that in a mod, so would have to have a charger dedicated to charging that battery - an external charger specific to the battery. I know some of the handheld video game systems have external battery chargers, but I haven't gotten into all that yet. I just wanted to share a very basic mod that anybody can do with some patience and practice. I can't see paying upwards of $100 for the same thing but dressed up and without the safety features. I wanted to put the information out there for those who are willing to try. I will be making a few for those who are afraid to try or have tried and failed, but I do not want to make a business out of it.

ccure

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2009
Colombia, South America
Well the 401 connector just pulled right out, it is just a friction fit. If there was any glue, I didn't see any. Since I haven't gotten my batteroes from DE yet, I made a USB passthrough (awesome, my first mod!). Soon as the batteries get here, NicoStick!

Did you apply heat? I will like to know ;)

Vee

Apr 27, 2009
Los Angeles, U.S.A.
Are cell batteries are more sensitive than the Lith-ions that you're using in your mod? I had assumed that they're just a different casing (unless they're unprotected, which you said not to use and then that would make a ton of sense.)

I would assume that you could wire up a USB attachment (I've seen one mod on the forums here that has one) so that you can charge the cell bats in the case. Wonder how hard it would be to do that.

nicowolf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2008
near Akron, OH, USA
Are cell batteries are more sensitive than the Lith-ions that you're using in your mod? I had assumed that they're just a different casing (unless they're unprotected, which you said not to use and then that would make a ton of sense.)

I would assume that you could wire up a USB attachment (I've seen one mod on the forums here that has one) so that you can charge the cell bats in the case. Wonder how hard it would be to do that.

I believe the cell batts are unprotected - the phone circuit board carries the protection for it. To wire up a USB attachment is simple. To do it safely is not at all simple. When li-ion batteries are overcharged or recharged after being overdischarged, the results can be explosive and dangerous. Please do not try this without a real education in electronics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread