Humidifier Wick

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadeyeTony

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2009
Michigan
I was getting my humidifier out and ready to go for winter. When it dawned on me that the humidifier wick material might work great for vaping.

So I cut off a small piece, cut into a triangle, then rolled into a tight tube. I stuck the skinny end into a 510 cart, then dropped about 10 drops into it. It sucked it up fast! I've been vaping on it for about an hour now. No leaks, no flooding, seems to work well. Give it a try!

here's what I was using
Amazon.com: Essick Air 1045 Replacement Console Wick: Home & Garden

MadeyeTony

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2009
Michigan
Ok guys, I think I may be on to something here. So far I'm loving the results. It of course makes sense, this material was made to wick. So unlike other materials that have been used for a plug, this does not just stop the liquid, but instead keeps it flowing at regular pace.

Here's step by step of what I did.

First you'll need to use this excellent mod:http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...pc-automatic-drop-mod-paper-clip-variant.html

Next I cut the wick to size
pvu9G.jpg

Then I simply rolled it up
CQtpW.jpg

All you have to do is fill up your cart and shove this thing in there. It will swell amazingly as it makes contact with the juice.

And here is one after an hour of use. Notice that the top looks nice and wet still
K7J35.jpg

My first go at this was a full length plug. It worked pretty well, but refilling it seems to be a problem. Anyways I pulled out that first big plug and all the liquid that was remaining was in the top third of the material. You see could a distinct line where it had dried on the bottom. This just confirmed my suspicions that this stuff works amazingly well.

Allright guys, the ball's in your court now, I'd love to see some others try this and report their findings.

Peace
Tony

MadeyeTony

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2009
Michigan
This from a room or whole house humidifier?
Although, I suppose it doesn't matter.
Mine is a whole house purifier.
One more thing, you check to see what it's made of?
I did some looking earlier. All that I could find said that it was made of melted plastic and cellulose.

It feels like paper. I'm pretty confident there is nothing in this that could harm you. After all it is made for filling a house with moisture that will be consumed by people. It has to have undergone human safety testing.

jj2

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2009
Hundred Acre Wood
I did find this, and it was interesting.

Cellulose acetate

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
Cellulose acetate (also known as zylonite or zyl),[1] first prepared in 1865, is the acetate ester of cellulose. Cellulose acetate is used as a film base in photography, as a component in some adhesives, and as a frame material for eyeglasses;[2] it is also used as a synthetic fiber and in the manufacture of cigarette filters.

Cellulose acetate or acetate rayon fiber (1924) is one of the earliest synthetic fibers and is based on cotton or tree pulp cellulose ("biopolymers"). These "cellulosic fibers" have passed their peak, as cheap petro-based fibers (nylon and polyester) and have displaced regenerated pulp fibers.

namuch

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2009
Surprise,Az
Any treatment chemicals should be looked at suspiciously since they are in direct contact and heated by the atomizer. However, the specific Essick filter referenced by the OP is not showing any chemical treatments in the product details. In fact, there are a line of Essick bacterial treatments specifically made for later application.

MadeyeTony

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2009
Michigan
Ok I've been using the same plug all night and performance has dropped dramatically. I rinsed it out and patted it dry, and now its working again. To my mind, this may be more trouble than its worth.

So don't go out and drop $20 on a wick yet. I'm gonna mess with it some more. But for performance and convenience I'd go with another mod.

Anyways, it's an interesting material, but it may not be the perfect cartridge filler. So good luck and run with it if you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread