Reservoir Straw & Plug Mod (RSP Mod)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolflrv

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2010
Tennessee
I've mostly scavenged a few from dead click pens I had lying around. Some pens will have the blackish wire springs..those are the bad ones. You want the shiny silver ones. I've also found quite a variety in diameter sizes of springs and also lengths. Length is no problem..I just compress them a bit or cut them to fit, but finding the really small ones for my 510 carts is tricky, but the 901 carts will hold the bigger springs.

Best suggestion is to pay attention as you go around town, for businesses that give away free pens for advertising. Open one up and if they are silver springs, grab two freebies and you're set for awhile..LOL!

Nighthawk

ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2010
Southeast Texas
ok, read this whooooole thread! I have been vaping all of a week now, and already flustrated at the cart filling all the time. So, this is my very first mod & I'm happy with it so far. I took the simplest way I could gather from all this info. I took a bendy straw from walmart, stuck it in an empty (501) cart and whacked it off even-ish with the top of it. then I took the straw out and whacked off a little more. Stuffed the straw back in. Then I took some buff puff-ish (walmart knock off) and trimmed some to fit into the top of the cart, edge side up as advised. pulled the plug out, filled the cart with juice, stuffed the plug back in. so far, so good! I am hoping this will be 'the one', and give mucho credit to all those who have fiddled out the details before me and provided such expertise and experience good and bad. Thanks guys! You're the best!

Virtues

Jun 11, 2010
USA
So I went out and got Buff Puff material (was a generic Walgreens kind, didn't actually say "Buff Puff") and I was a little worried that it was too porous, but I am loving it! The Blue scrubbie was denser but for some reason was leaking!

I don't know how or why but my vaping experience has been taken to the max with this modification and I cannot thank the OP enough.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

centax

Apr 8, 2010
va
Ok I got excited and went ahead and used some green scub pads I got from work and it's working great. Then I looked them up online and it said
Nontoxic, rustproof green pad is 6 x 9 1/2 x 1/4 inch. Made of nylon web and resistant to hot water, solvents and detergents. Contains a fine abrasive coating that safely cleans cooking utensils, stainless-steel sinks and food storage containers. Medium grade. Ten pads per package.
Is there any way that I can just put them in the washing machine with no soap to get the abrasive out?

Last edited:

wolflrv

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2010
Tennessee
I wouldn't advise using anything that had the abrasives in it...no guarantee you'd get it all out. You can find the really cheap scrub pads at the dollar stores..they come in various colors, but they have no added chemicals and such, if you can't find the good blue ones. Or better yet..really try the Walgreen's "Facial Cleansing Sponges"...they have way less "taste" to them..and vape very well and wick great.

centax

Apr 8, 2010
va
After trying several mods I've decided that just using the buff puff material as a full body filler is the best. Instead of cutting the material so the grain lines up like this (llll) I cut it so it lines up like this (==) I find it works nicely this way and is easier to cut. I also used some interesting tweezers I found in a computer tool kit to insert the filler. To make cutting the material easier I used a set of wood working clamps to ensure straight even cuts. I'm able to drip 18 drops directly on the filler without taking it out or putting drops in prior to inserting it. I usally cut the filler long then just trim the excess once inserted

6.jpg 7.jpg

redraven

ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2009
Texas, USA
Hi all - I've been gone a while, but am trying the e-cig again now. Was reading up on mods here to refresh my memory & just have a quick question. I played with a tiny bit of the simpler modding back when I was using my PVs before (PTBs & Fluval, specifically). Even with careful following of instructions & lots of adjustments, I had problems with my filler "melting" or scorching a bit. (I think it was the PTB that actually scorched & the Fluval just tasted odd).

I'd like to try out this straw & plug mod as it sounds both simple & effective, but I have a couple questions.

The standard filler in pre-made cartridges seems to be heat-resistant, as I've never had problems with it scorching or anything. Sometimes I even find a stray fiber or two stuck to the metal of the atty. (Uh... I think the proper term for that part is the bridge? The little sticky-outty metal fiber loop dealy inside the atty housing.)

I'm wondering, though, about how alternate materials, such as those suggested here, deal with heating. This thread seems to indicate that the bridge does actually touch the plug material. Someone even mentioned having a little dent left behind in their plug. I haven't seen any mention of issues with scorching in the 10 or so pages I read here, so can I assume the materials resist heat well? Or am I misreading & need to place the plug down a ways into the cartridge? Just seems that any type of material that will be affected by heating wouldn't be terribly safe or tasty, so I wanted to get some clarification before I go ahead & go shopping for mod stuff. Thanks!

I like the spring idea, I will have to try that after I go get the facial pads.(maybe the misses has some around here somewhere, that's sure to rile her up a bit) I have an idea to get a very consistent plug size every time. Maybe if we take a shell casing from oh say thirty caliber and use that as a punch then you've got a repeatable sizer and can adjust by trying different calibers, just a thought. well off to the gun range.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread