Status
Not open for further replies.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
Does this work better than the zfm? It seems this can hold some liquid and keep the atty wet.
The ZFM works better, but it is trickier to get right without flooding - that's why Scottyballs has now started selling them pre-made.

To be honest, I think the "PTB Made Easy" works "better" than this or ZFM, because I'm not big on the "plug" styles anymore. I think it's a pain taking out the plug to refill (or using a syringe) and the "PTB Made Easy" is super easy to make and maintain, nearly foolproof, wicks really well and uses up nearly all of the liquid before needing a refill.

I'm glad this works well for people though!

oso

ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Rookie Question: I use the rn4081 and I am wondering if the filler material is supposed to actually touch the bridge of the atty?

Yep. My thoughts are that that's how the fluid gets the atomizer (which is beneath the bridge?) Something like that. But yeah, the filler needs to make contact with the bridge.

Welcome to the forums!

robl45

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2010
florida
so I just did this to one of my cartridges. seems to work, but I had to use a mcdonalds straw. I slit it down the center and put it in and used blue foam. I also notched the bottom, but when I filled it, it only seemed to fill inside the straw. is that normal?

also, how are you using a normal straw? do you just compress it and stuff it in? because a normal drinking straw is going to be wider than the hole.

also, wouldn't it be better to just use the rubber plug thing on top of the straw as every time you pull out the blue foam, it gets deformed a bit.

I do seem to actually be getting flavor again though which I like, something I couldnt' get from the blue foam dart mod.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
so I just did this to one of my cartridges. seems to work, but I had to use a mcdonalds straw. I slit it down the center and put it in and used blue foam. I also notched the bottom, but when I filled it, it only seemed to fill inside the straw. is that normal?

also, how are you using a normal straw? do you just compress it and stuff it in? because a normal drinking straw is going to be wider than the hole.

also, wouldn't it be better to just use the rubber plug thing on top of the straw as every time you pull out the blue foam, it gets deformed a bit.

I do seem to actually be getting flavor again though which I like, something I couldnt' get from the blue foam dart mod.

The ZFM (rubber plug thing) mod is an improvement on this mod. This mod is just a bit more forgiving in getting the size right and easier to access materials.

I never used the blue foam. It always seemed to have issues. I always used the blue Scotch Brite pad material or the Buf Puf material. It's more stiff and dense than the fluval/blue foam and makes a better plug. The blue foam is more for using as a filler, IMO, not as a plug.

dhowardpeters

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2010
Charlotte, NC
The ZFM works better, but it is trickier to get right without flooding - that's why Scottyballs has now started selling them pre-made.

To be honest, I think the "PTB Made Easy" works "better" than this or ZFM, because I'm not big on the "plug" styles anymore. I think it's a pain taking out the plug to refill (or using a syringe) and the "PTB Made Easy" is super easy to make and maintain, nearly foolproof, wicks really well and uses up nearly all of the liquid before needing a refill.

I'm glad this works well for people though!

So, it's been 3 months since you posted your PTB Made Easy. Still feel the same about it? Any alterations to your technique? Any observations on different liquid performance? I really enjoyed seeing it evolve here, even if I am screwed AGAIN when the kids get up in 3 hours!

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
So, it's been 3 months since you posted your PTB Made Easy. Still feel the same about it? Any alterations to your technique? Any observations on different liquid performance? I really enjoyed seeing it evolve here, even if I am screwed AGAIN when the kids get up in 3 hours!
I still use the PTB Made Easy and no other cart mod. It is consistant and very low maintenence. One of the biggest complaints I see about ecigs is the fussing and refilling and the PTB Made Easy reduces that considerably for me!

With my 510 it provides good vapor, good throat hit, good flavor, little to no leaking (only with occasional overfills), no mouthfuls of liquid, consistantly runs dry before needing refills (no topping off needed), works with a variety of liquid thicknesses, super easy to make, super easy to clean and pop back in.

What's not to love? :D

I credit playing around with this RSP Mod (this thread) and other PTB mods. In trying to meld the two, I got PTB Made Easy. This RSP Mod is great & holds more liquid, but I just got tired of playing around with popping out plugs to refill - that's the ONLY reason I stopped using it!

Last edited:

dhowardpeters

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2010
Charlotte, NC
I still use the PTB Made Easy and no other cart mod. It is consistant and very low maintenence. One of the biggest complaints I see about ecigs is the fussing and refilling and the PTB Made Easy reduces that considerably for me!

With my 510 it provides good vapor, good throat hit, good flavor, little to no leaking (only with occasional overfills), no mouthfuls of liquid, consistantly runs dry before needing refills (no topping off needed), works with a variety of liquid thicknesses, super easy to make, super easy to clean and pop back in.

I credit playing around with this RSP Mod (this thread) and other PTB mods. In trying to meld the two, I got PTB Made Easy. This RSP Mod is great & holds more liquid, but I just got tired of playing around with popping out plugs to refill - that's the ONLY reason I stopped using it!
Great. I'm on my way out to get what I need. You just caught me. I know where the idea started-I stayed up reading till 3:30 am, remember! Funny, I'm not very tired, and I'm so excited that I've only smoked 3 analogs in 48 hours without trying! Been vaping a kr8 w/ 510 and 901 attys and my Screwdriver arrived today. Feels like this research has been a full time job, but I'm rollin now. Thanks so much

dhowardpeters

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2010
Charlotte, NC

Meant to tell you that you have a way of describing things that a newbie can understand. At least this newbie--Hmm, might be because we're both women?

wolflrv

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2010
Tennessee
WOW...read all 49 pages of this thread...no sleep last night! I've been experimenting as I read! Not only did I vape myself silly since I'm using my 510 on top of a homemade Fog Log with 18650 batt, I realized I only refilled it like 3X all night, with no top-offs. I had resigned myself to creating a juice box mod, because I got fed up with fiddling and topping off constantly. I couldn't even get the 7 miles to town in the car without pulling over to top off. I was frustrated as all getout and was just smoking analogs in the car and around town cause everyone gave me a hard time with saying the Fog Log/w juice bottle attached to cartridge looked like a drug pipe...which it does. And since I've been clean and sober for over 20+ years..this was not a reaction I wanted to live with in any way.

I really like the small AA battery box mod(nicostick), but couldn't figure out how to get even a tiny juice bottle inside with it to make it compact and stealth...I'd already figured out the bottom feeding method. There's just only so much room in a tiny box...LOL!

So the RSP mod w/scourpad is an absolute miracle in my book! I'm now going to build a nice nicostick mod and load up a few carts grab a spare atty and battery and hit the road!! WOOT!!

PS: if this works for a few days like I think it will..I'll finally feel confident and satisfied enough to completely walk away from analogs...after 40 years..3 packs a day!

CAN'T THANK YOU ENOUGH KRISTEN!!!! YOU'RE AWESOME!!!

jaminjim

Apr 5, 2010
Michigan
I also used the spring, I only used it as I didn't relize you could use a straw. I REALLY do like the spring though, because you can prime the buff puff by pressing down on it a few times. Got to mention I think the Buff Puff is AWESOME!!! I can't seeing myself using any other mod, unless one comes out that can hold 15-30ml of juice!!! :)

Darth Bill

Apr 7, 2010
Phoenix
Word of advice on the Scotchbrite scratch pads. If it says "not for aquarium use", that is because it has abrasives impregnated in the foam that are toxic to the fish. Don't use this for vaping. The only Scotchbrite pads I found at my grocery store were the heavy duty pads and they had that printed on the package. Also I looked under the bottom of the stack and saw a lot of green dust that had fallen out of the pads.

Be safe and vape happy!

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
Word of advice on the Scotchbrite scratch pads. If it says "not for aquarium use", that is because it has abrasives impregnated in the foam that are toxic to the fish. Don't use this for vaping. The only Scotchbrite pads I found at my grocery store were the heavy duty pads and they had that printed on the package. Also I looked under the bottom of the stack and saw a lot of green dust that had fallen out of the pads.

Be safe and vape happy!
Exactly. I updated the OP a few months ago to say to NOT use the green pads, but the SCOTCHBRITE BLUE PADS, which are scratchless and don't have the abrasives!

bassnut

Crumby Jokes
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Thank you, Kristin and Scottbee.

This is working out really well.
I found the BLUE non-scratch Scotch Brite pads and flexi-straws at a Target store here in Los Angeles. One package each is enough for years of vaping with this cart mod. I also scored a seriously cool set of sharp pointed mini tweezers about 2-1/2" long there also. Cheap!

After washing out the pad I cut a long strip about 5/16" (8mm) wide and then just snip off a square piece as needed which fits neatly into a 901 "D" whistle tip cart.

Straw length is 9/16" (14mm) - V notched as prescribed.
The flexi-straws are in fact, as Kirstin mentioned, a little smaller in diameter than the usual McDonald or 7-11 straws. I used the rigid part, not the flex section.

It works! Great juice delivery to the atty and drains the cart dry!!!!....and once you've done the initial shopping for materials, a stupid-easy mod.

I have to say that I will be experimenting with other wicking materials as others have mentioned but for right now, this works great.

Thanks again.

For the record I'm vaping with 510 LR attys with Joye mega bats and the Janty eGo.

Last edited:

Virtues

Jun 11, 2010
USA
If not for this amazing mod I would have given up on e-cigs and cursed the kits I bought. Thank you so much for sharing. I first tried this in the little tiny carts like for Blu (Believe it or not it even works for the tiny carts, just holds less juice).

I then got larger carts to fit on my Blu, I think the same you guys have been using (510's) and I could not be happier. With this mod and 510 carts it actually feels like smoking and I don't want regular tobacco anymore.

I used to smoke American Spirits in a pipe so the hits were very strong and gave a really big buzz. So for someone like me to be satisfied by the vapor production, and compare it to the feeling of smoking tobacco with no filter, is something to behold.

I have been using the Blue scrubbie pad material, working great but I would like to know what this "Buff Puff" is and where can I buy it? I checked at Wal-Mart, no one knew what I was talking about and I couldn't find anything that seemed to fit the description.

Last edited:

wolflrv

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2010
Tennessee
haven't used the blue scrubby yet..haven't found any to try, but I do use the buff puff with a stainless spring or straw exclusively now in my 510 setup. I use cartomizers when out around town, but it doesn't compare to the 510 buff puff setup. There is no nasty taste to mess with your juice flavors and I like the compression of the sponge. I can make it tighter or looser depending on the PG/VG ratio. One piece lasts me about 2-4 days and then I pop in a new one. I have also washed them and they return to their previous shape and compression, but they are just dirt cheap, so I toss them and put in a fresh one. One package is about $2-3 I think..so try it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread