• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Hurricane Irma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
Thanks for the encouragement, it is appreciated. Still wish it would turn north right now and not make landfall anywhere inhabited.

The cats agree with me. :)
Yes! It needs to go head & m ake 2 right turns & then die.

Sent from my LG-V700 using Tapatalk

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
In the Jax area it's supposed to be a 3. Matthew was a 2.

One gennie here. It does the microwave and fridge And living room
but not the well. DH has been talking about hooking the well pump…you bet he will do it after this. Not fun having to carry water to flush. But I have two large trash cans full of water.

I'm with them…in full panic mode. Luckily DH is not. He's the calm one in the family. Me I worry about everything.
We just shower right before the storm hits & then fill the tubs for flushing & bathing.

Sent from my LG-V700 using Tapatalk

oldbikeguy

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
    A potentially catastrophic storm surge for Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina
    If Irma makes a trek up the East Coast from Miami to southern South Carolina as a Category 3 or 4 hurricane, as the models currently suggest, the portions of the coast that the eyewall touches will potentially see a massive and catastrophic storm surge, breaking all-time storm surge records and causing many billions of dollars in damage. Even areas up to a hundred miles to the north of where the center makes landfall could potentially see record storm surges. The area of most concern is the northern coast of Florida, the coast of Georgia, and the southern coast of South Carolina, due to the concave shape of the coast, which will act to funnel and concentrate the storm surge to ridiculous heights. If we look at wunderground’s storm surge maps for the U.S. East Coast, we see that in a worst-case Category 3 hurricane hitting at high tide, the storm tide (the combined effect of the storm surge and the tide) ranges from 17 – 20’ above ground along the northern coast of Florida, and 18 – 23 feet above ground along the Georgia coast. If Irma is a Cat 4, these numbers increase to 22 – 28 feet for the coast of Georgia. This is a Katrina-level storm surge, the kind that causes incredible destruction and mass casualties among those foolish enough to refuse to evacuate.

Hurricane Irma an Extreme Storm Surge Threat to the U.S. and Bahamas

:eek:

kross8

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 20, 2016
    stuck in a squishy pod called my brain
    @Uncle thanks for the thoughts. Sometimes they will go into emergency mode a little early for safety's sake, but even if they don't I should have enough time Friday to put up shutters/awnings before the winds get too bad.

I'm about 6-7 miles inland in the middle of the city, so I'm not as bad off as the coastal residents.
    i live very near the coast,,,,my home was oddly fine,,,,,huge areas north and west of me got wiped out and had the worst of the storms. pull a map of your area,, look for bayous/creeks/rivers,, Irma looks like she wants to also dump some major water.

80% of those flooded in Houston didn't have the right insurance.....and many thought they were safe from flooding because they were not on the coast.....problem is the 20 trillion gallons of water all at once,, they say we got so much rain that it equaled NYC's 50 year useage.

rob33

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 20, 2009
    A World Traveler

Splatnext

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 30, 2013
    near the beach
    ...who let that :censored: scoot a bit West again this afternoon ?
    Dangit !

I know...I think my heart dropped down a couple of feet seeing this.:(

agtC3S5.jpg

Uncle

Resting In Peace
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 15, 2011
    It has not been a good day . . . With all these continuing news report/updates about "Irma" all day long, I'm sitting here extreamly nauseated right now.​

615885_5413f7046b0be836163825.jpeg

AND - Although, I left "My" apartment today to finish up a few errands before I leave to go to my Friends home, I arrive back to "My apartment complex find that the management/maintenance people where I live had left early - already closed up shop at 4 PM, shut down all the elevators, sandbagged doorways, and will not be back here until sometime next week and "Irma" passes by (wasn't supposed to be until tomorrow - Thankfully I can still get out tomorrow when I had planned to do at 12 Noon). Also, since we are in a Flood zone (#1) by the inter-coastal and have been told to evacuate by city/state, many of "My" neighbors have done so today too (Thankfully - They went to shelters/special needs facilities, Family/Friends, or just left the state). The worse thing though are all of those neighbors who did not leave here and are planning to stick it out as many of us did during "Wilma" & "Mathew" - NOT GOOD ! ! ! :(

Also, I am now second guessing myself for NOT trying to get a airfare out of here . . . :facepalm:

"My" apologies for just spewing, however I need to tell someone right now . . . :facepalm:

Anyway, it is what it is . . .

images_7.jpeg

OKAY NOW - Nothing to see here - "You" Can All Move Along . . .

graphics-police-659493.gif

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread