• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Hurricane Irma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Janet H

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2011
PA
:unsure: yepper, at this time 'experts' are leaning to Irma climbing up the east coast side - I'm surprised they ALL changed it (spaghetti projections)
even 'Jose' has been projected to dance around in the open Atlantic now (it was to back track to the Gulf side)
all we can do is -plan for the worst/hope for the best- be smart and prepare the best we all can :thumb:

All you can do now is prepare for the worst as much as you can and pray for the best. Check on your neighbors too. Sure hope they're right about Irma bearing north and east.

halfempty

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2014
Miami, FL
@Uncle thanks for the thoughts. Sometimes they will go into emergency mode a little early for safety's sake, but even if they don't I should have enough time Friday to put up shutters/awnings before the winds get too bad.

I'm about 6-7 miles inland in the middle of the city, so I'm not as bad off as the coastal residents.

MattB101

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2012
Deerfield Beach, FL
Thank you all for the kind thoughts and prayers. I have lived in South Florida most of my life and have weathered (pun intended) enough major storms to know what I'm in for.

Short version: I'm screwed (hope I can say that), but I will come out the other end all right. Lot of work and some property damage, but no major injuries or losses. Or so I pray.
Where are you at, we're in Deerfield Beach.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
Robin make sure you have good leather or cut resistant gloves on when you put up those shutters and watch the corners on them too please,have you counted your wing nuts yet ? :unsure:

I have my leather gardening gloves. Never thought of counting the wing nuts. I saw the shutters up before they were inspected. All nuts were on at that time. Everything is in a box sitting behind the panels. Even a diagram/paperwork laminated to show where each one goes.

I wouldn't doubt that there are extras in there. I think I will be counting wing nuts tomorrow.

Thanks for that tip! :)

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
In the City of Miami, in a house built in 1947. The joys of life. :D
Well, it's survived so far!

My family has lived just south of Houston since 1975. For about 15 years we lived in a big 2 story farmhouse. It was built in 1903, was almost 3 feet off the ground, & surrounded by huge pecan trees in what remained of a pecan orchard. That place was so solid it didn't even vibrate in a hurricane. It's still there after I don't recall how many more hurricanes.

Sent from my LG-V700 using Tapatalk

halfempty

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2014
Miami, FL
Well, it's survived so far!

My family has lived just south of Houston since 1975. For about 15 years we lived in a big 2 story farmhouse. It was built in 1903, was almost 3 feet off the ground, & surrounded by huge pecan trees in what remained of a pecan orchard. That place was so solid it didn't even vibrate in a hurricane. It's still there after I don't recall how many more hurricanes.

Sent from my LG-V700 using Tapatalk
Thanks for the encouragement, it is appreciated. Still wish it would turn north right now and not make landfall anywhere inhabited.

The cats agree with me. :)

Bea-FL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2016
Florida
If it does come right up the center.... The storm is huge and everyone in Florida will feel some sort of effect (affect?).

East side will be worse :( Only possible saving grace is it will downgrade quickly...hopefully.
In the Jax area it's supposed to be a 3. Matthew was a 2.

Fortunately we do have 3 generators. One will run the house (electric which includes the well). Just no stove or air conditioner.
One gennie here. It does the microwave and fridge And living room
but not the well. DH has been talking about hooking the well pump…you bet he will do it after this. Not fun having to carry water to flush. But I have two large trash cans full of water.

I manage 30+ employees, some of which are approaching full panic mode. I've tried to tell them all the worry in the world won't change its course one bit, she's gonna do what she's gonna do.

View attachment 684579
I'm with them…in full panic mode. Luckily DH is not. He's the calm one in the family. Me I worry about everything.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
I've been watching a hurricane weather board. Gosh! Talk about people being really into charts, projected paths, wind speeds etc... :ohmy:

It sounds like the Euro models seem to be the most accurate...for whatever that's worth. Way to technical and involved for me. Just interesting reading and seeing what they are saying.

Pretty much that it's still too early to nail down.

oldbikeguy

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
    I wouldn't doubt that there are extras in there. I think I will be counting wing nuts tomorrow.

:thumbs: If you find some missing regular nuts will work with washers,they say wingnuts all sold out in most stores down there :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread