I am having battery issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mnagey

Jun 16, 2014
United States
Not sure where to post this so when in doubt I figure this is the best spot since I am still new to the forums.

I had an issue with my battery breaking about a week ago and purchased a brand new blister pack starter kit with a standard 650mah battery. I have since had an issue with the battery as it for some reason will not hold a charge. I put it on the charger before the first initial use to ensure battery life. It charged for 8 hours, I took it off the charger, filled my tank and thought all was good. Boy was I wrong. This damned thing would not even fire after letting it sit for an hour. I am thoroughly annoyed with the whole damned thing. I know the tricks about the center pin that does not pertain to my issue at all. This battery appears to die after sitting (left alone) for several hours and I pick it up to get a vape and nothing happens absolutely nothing not even lights. I put it on the charger for a quick second last night after it did this for the umpteenth time in a week and then removed the battery about two minutes after and it was firing just fine. Can anybody please tell me whats wrong with this thing. Maybe I can fix it on my own or take it to someone that can fix it for me. Anyone ever had a similar issue. I would appreciate some input.

kate278014

Moved On
Jan 7, 2015
HongKong
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

drunkenbatman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2014
It's windy, USA
1. Do you have another charger you can try?

2. There's a subset of batteries in that class that don't charge as they should -- vision spinner 2 coming to mind. If it seems to charge a *little* but not much, unplug and replug. You'll have to do this every single time, even if it looks like it charged all the way it may only be half charged.

Mnagey

Jun 16, 2014
United States
I have tried it on two different chargers besides the one it came packaged with. A Joyetech official battery charger and a Blow One charger. I did forget to mention about my charger that it came with, no active led on that charger. Anyways the issue persists regardless what charger I am using to charge it. I have not been using the one it came with since I noticed the non working led on the charger.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
I have tried it on two different chargers besides the one it came packaged with. A Joyetech official battery charger and a Blow One charger. I did forget to mention about my charger that it came with, no active led on that charger. Anyways the issue persists regardless what charger I am using to charge it. I have not been using the one it came with since I noticed the non working led on the charger.

DO NOT mix that battery or that charger that came with it with anything else! I'm not surprised you are having problems with blister pack batteries setups - some of them are absolute crap. You probably don't even have a charger - it's more likely just a USB to eGo adapter with no charging circuit in it at all. If you put a real eGo battery on that blister pack "charger" you risk a battery explosion. You know those non-specific news stories about exploding batteries and fires? Yeah - that kind of thing you got with no LED is usually at the source of the problem when people put a battery made to charge at 4.2 volts on one of those things putting out 5 volts or higher.

You can check - some of them are imprinted that they put out 5 volts and not the 4.2 volts a standard eGo battery charges at. If this is true then the battery that came with it is an unsafe hack as well with no charging circuit in it either.

You should toss any of it any buy a real battery and a real charger. Obviously at this point the cheap blister packs are turning out to be an expensive waste of money anyway. Dead serious on this point. The battery is already not working properly and it's not worth a house fire.

I have had several problems with batteries in the past. My wife uses this general type of battery (genuine kanger tech ego T's). Ive seen two do this.

There is a chance you have a fake battery.
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...w-tell-if-youve-got-genuine-joyetech-ego.html

There are several other variants of the fakes out there, however if you look at the button on the real one in the thread I linked to it will help you tell. If it's fake get rid of it, it's unsafe and I wouldn't mess with it at all.

If you do not have electronics experience do not mess with taking batteries apart! If you choose to do so you are doing it at your own risk and I don't suggest it. There is a live lithium battery inside the casing and you can cause a catastrophic failure if you do not know what to do.

Alright, that said, I took them apart to see what the problem was, two of them I have dealt with in the past had this same issue.

There is a plastic tray inside the metal head under the button, It holds the circuit board at the right height for the button and keeps the board from shorting out on the body of the device. There is a little bit of head space above it before you get to the bottom of the brass center pin. The lead wire that goes to the brass center pin has to fit inside the head space. When they press these together sometimes the lead wire gets mashed under the center pin between it and the plastic carrier. It still conducts some current but its through a bad contact wire so it gets only a partial connection. This also causes it to read the atomizer wrong and the battery level and basically everything else associated with this device's functions.

It can be repaired by re soldering a new wire of the same type to the connection point on the board, or cutting the mashed part of the wire off and soldering on a replacement length of the same type of wire, then insulating the solder joint with hot glue or another sufficient insulator, it's too small for a good electrical tape to work.

It's a manufacturing defect I've seen. While I fixed this twice before it's a pain and tossing it out is the better option in my opinion.

Mnagey

Jun 16, 2014
United States
I have been having issues since I removed the device from the package. I know about battery safety and always keep a close eye on my charger and batteries when I am charging them. I may be new to vaping but its not that difficult to understand. All the chargers I own that are usb to ego connection style chargers including that one that is not lighting up are input: 5.0v and output: 4.2v 420mA. I only have the one battery that charges on those types of chargers my other battery (the one I have no problems with is an 18650 for my mod and I have an actual charger for that.) I know that I do not know everything but that right there is pretty simple to understand that an ego style battery will charge on any of those usb chargers that I have. Im not mixing an actual ego by joyetech with anything. I am just using the charger which is within the range of that one and only battery I purchased in a blister pack. I dont trust the charger that came with it so I used an older charger from a previous battery that broke on me last week. The charger is exactly the same only it works.

Mnagey

Jun 16, 2014
United States
thank you thats what I was looking for. Im not going to mess with it at all after reading Anemephistus explanation. I got the information I was looking for I do believe. I will just stick with my mod until I am able to get the specific device I desire which is the Eleaf Istick. Of course I may have to wait some time for that. Diapers are expensive.

well I guess I am just going to use it until it stops working and then just stick with my 18650 mod. I had bought this battery for when I am at work due to the bulkiness of my mod. Easier to carry in my pocket than a mod.

Not a bad stealth vape, but a bad battery about to be a brick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread