I call it ADP Mod.. Auto Drip Mod!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bockafer

Oct 31, 2009
Dallas, TX
Here is a version with a 304 I'm also trying, sorry I don't have a better camera at the moment:

intelligent-junglist DOT com/pv/vertical_spring_mod_2.jpg
intelligent-junglist DOT com/pv/vertical_spring_mod_3.jpg
intelligent-junglist DOT com/pv/vertical_spring_mod_4.jpg

Note that I didn't even have to cut the spring, it was the perfect size right out of the pen. I should probably remove the filling from inside the spring and use a bit less on the "cap", but so far this one is hitting well enough and is a bit easier to fill than my 901 mod.

RKayne

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2009
Seattle
youcancook.today.com
No Clicky pens in house....AHHHHHHH!!!!! Oh well, gotta get ready to go out and play tonight anyways. Maybe I will find one at someplace we stop later and try this out tomorrow. We mix our own juice so it would be great to make small batch for taste testing this way as I can't REALLY make up my mind if I want to make a flavour again until I have gone through a couple carts. This really sounds good. I do think I am going to scan the hardware store and/or a craft shop...there has to be little springs somewhere at one!

Scottes

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2009
Boston, MA
scottesrum.com
Well I made one, and I've filled my PTB 510 Prodigy for the third time now, and haven't had to fill my 510 Chuck, and I've been vaping the two side-by-side.

I need to play around with a better poly-fill section - I simply re-used half of the polyfill from a brand-new cart, and that stuff is a pain to deal with. A filter material, like the blue foam maybe, might be better. Or any filter stuff that you can cut that in a single piece that doesn't fall apart like the stock polyfill I have.

I'll also have to see if I can get a spring that's larger in diameter, then squeeze it to form an oval spring. That should make the spring a bit taller, thus allow more juice and less filter.

Or maybe just cut the spring a little longer, which should make it tighter in the cart so the filter and bridge don't push it down so that it touches the bottom of the cart.

SpringMod.gif

I kinda think an oval spring would be ideal - so long as the filter doesn't end up being too thin. It might be a little trickier to squeeze it into the right size.

The tight spring - as long as it's not too tight - has the advantage of probably-perfect contact with the bridge, since the bridge will either compress the filter and/or push the spring down a little. Problem is that the spring could push down too far.

Last edited:

ProfessorDaffy

ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2009
Acme Looniversity
OPPS! I met ADM! LOL..

Ok I was tired of topping off even with the PTB mod I hate having to waste juice do to fillers well no more I think I might have found somthing that works much better then most of the mods ive tried this is for the Joye 510.. Dont worry it dont really drip but it seems like you just droped 2 drops on the atty every hit till its gone!

What you need

CIMG3536.jpg

1 spring from a pen you know them clicky ones

Small peice of polly fill

cartridge

First Cut down spring so it fits in the top of the cart sidways
CIMG3537.jpg

CIMG3538.jpg

CIMG3542.jpg

Fill cart with juice till it hits the spring
CIMG3543.jpg

ball up a small peice of polly fill stuff, you can make about 3 out of the stuffing that comes in the carts.. stick in the top of the cart and top off with 1-2 drops insert in the atty and Enjoy!
CIMG3544.jpg

It takes a lot of balls to put yourself on the line with a revolutionary idea and Scotty's got'em in spades. This has got every mod beat by miles.

I felt a little silly looking around for a clicky pen that didn't write too well and wouldn't be missed. Mod took about 60 seconds to execute. I vaped about 2 cigarettes worth and when I looked at the filler it was soaking wet, like I'd just topped off the cart. The vapor truly was like dripping. You've eliminated the need to draw the liquid through the fibers. It's right there! No more liquid disappearing into the fiber void. I hate filling carts so I top off and drip, but this has all the benefits of both, without excess liquid being trapped in the bottom. You've also solved the problem of finding a little bottle that will fit in the PCC. Except for the space of the spring and the filler, it's all liquid, baby. I was just commenting on another thread that I loved dripping, but it's not enough liquid to get me to work. This is dripping 2.0.

It's basically like having a built-in e-dobit. This would be good reason to have a longer cartridge to hold more liquid. The only drawback I can see is that I love to switch flavors and I wouldn't be topping off every time I vape. It also solves a problem of flavor with the 510. The 510 delivers the best flavor when dripping. This solves that. Also the wetter fibers I think will keep the atty cooler which might lead to better flavor as well. Still testing.

Here's some points...

1. You can't top off the cart. The seal is so good you can't add addition drops by dripping. It's really sealed in there. Does that mean you have to remove the fibers to fill? You could use a syringe, but I hate that beyond words.
2. It's hard to tell from the pictures but if I did it right the cut spring sits on the shelf just inside the cart. Nothing hangs over (so a cart condom cap will fit easily). The fibers didn't seem to fit into the spring, I had to kind of push them around them. But it worked just fine.
3. When I was filling the liquid the drops kind of hung on the spring. A good sign! I guess I didn't remember the liquid being so thick. No question about it pouring out like everyone feared. Honestly, it's not going anywhere.

I didn't like the straw mod, liquid seemed to flow too quickly. Teabag mods are too much work and I was not happy with the results. I still don't like carts--I like carrying my bottles of juice--but I can easily see filling up a bunch of carts in nothing flat. Maybe labeling the top and switching to fit my mood. And I've got a lifetime supply of fiberfill. I think I now need to hit the dollar store for clicky pens.

I love this forum because anyone can come up with anything at anytime just using stuff around their house. I'd thought about something like this (many of us have) but you found a very practical and inexpensive way to make it work. And it does work, people! Somebody needs to make a YouTube video!

Well, done. Seriously.
--Prof Daffy

P.S. If you don't know what an e-dobit is, it's like a pen filled with liquid. You press the tip to the atomizer to wet it perfectly. Dripper's tool. Moobyghost did a video review. Now it's just old school.

E-Dobit [e003] - $5.99 : Sticker to it!, Vinyl Graphics & Lettering
P.P.S. Next time take the pictures on a white surface. :)

RKayne

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2009
Seattle
youcancook.today.com
OK, went a diggin, found a clicky pen. Cut the spring in HALF. It fits perfect and I bet the tight coil at the one end has something to do with why I am smiling right now. Just WOW. I am SO glad I ordered that bulk order...and you all, who have tried and love this will benefit! I think I can toss out 5 packs for maybe 2$ shipped, let me find out what my shipping was first (don't want to promise). They seem to be standard sized so you would get 2 mods per spring. I am going to go make one for the wife now since we are headed out to halloween all over the place, lol. Truly the first mod I have tried that totally tripped my trigger. Now I am going to go share this with the women, lol...

eclypse

Moved On
Sep 9, 2009
Macomb MI
How come no ones talking about the spring rusting or corroding over time? Would'nt this happen? I remember people talking about it with the other spring mod.

I made a cart vent mod for the 510 cart..( 510 cart vent mod.. Polyfill works great now! ) should of called it something catchy like "Pressure Valve Release mod" as thats what its doing. The reverse of what this mod does by the pressure holding the juice.. my mod with the tiny pin hole in the side releases the pressure so the juice will flow threw the filler and wick properly leaving no juice behind like it would normally with the poly-fill. Works great as long as you dont make the hole too big.

Not trying to knock on this mod.. if the spring is safe to use and it works great then cool! I'll try it myself tonight. If there will be safety issues using the spring then no reason risking it and i'll keep using my vent mod as it works great for me. Basicly like the straw mod without the need for a straw taking up space in the cart.

Last edited:

RKayne

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2009
Seattle
youcancook.today.com
I am sure it may, but at the cost level that is moot. Replace it :D I tried the hole vent mod and well...I have a problem with wanting to vape MORE when drinking and yano how easy it is to forget something. Like there is holes, lol. We have cats. And a turtle. And fish. Even a hummingbird that occasionally sits on a knee. I can't have nic everywhere and this gave me the way to load up but not leak all over. Even inebriated. That is why I ordered the 50 pack, figure if you get 2 mods out of one spring, you have 10 to work with for some time. If need be I can get more from them (I have an old importer ID I can still use so it's easy...shhh, lol) and make sure there is a US cheapy supply. I really like this mod so far! Head is spinning a bit but that is because I am so impressed I can't put it down!!! So far the only thing I think I may change is to actually oval out a bit of the spring but only in the center, to create the divot that forms when you use reg fill (we have 510's). I did get one instance of the (I used a little square of fluval 2nd time) poly I used in the first one sticking to the atty since it couldn't really depress into the chamber. As for life? Guess we shall see as I am so going with this for a bit. I volunteer! I will be making the most of the whole 2 we have (till that order gets in). OK, we will be, the wife loves it too. So far ;)

ProfessorDaffy

ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2009
Acme Looniversity
How come no ones talking about the spring rusting or corroding over time? Would'nt this happen? I remember people talking about it with the other spring mod.

I made a cart vent mod for the 510 cart..( 510 cart vent mod.. Polyfill works great now! ) should of called it something catchy like "Pressure Valve Release mod" as thats what its doing. The reverse of what this mod does by the pressure holding the juice.. my mod with the tiny pin hole in the side releases the pressure so the juice will flow threw the filler and wick properly leaving no juice behind like it would normally with the poly-fill. Works great as long as you dont make the hole too big.

Not trying to knock on this mod.. if the spring is safe to use and it works great then cool! I'll try it myself tonight. If there will be safety issues using the spring then no reason risking it and i'll keep using my vent mod as it works great for me. Basicly like the straw mod without the need for a straw taking up space in the cart.

That's a good question. Are they steel? Aluminum? If they're aluminum you've got no problem. And the real question is how long should you use it. A week? A month? Three months before replacing? It would be an issue if this was an expensive mod, but it's not. I'd suggest checking them for wear or rusting. And/or just replace them every month to be on the safe side.

I actually saw an listing on e-bay for 50 pen springs for 89 cents. You can make two or three from one spring. I still don't like carts, period. But I like them a whole lot better now!

The idea for getting air in the bottom of the cart is a good one. The straw mod is a good one. The ADM is just another great mod to add to the list. I think you'll like it.

--Prof Daffy
P.S. Refilling's not as hard as I thought. You just pull the stuffing out and put it back in. I switched flavors and it didn't matter too much. The juice was practically all gone. Modded my second cart already.
P.P.S. I seem to be getting about 12 drops in a cart. Anyone else? I am also really wired on nicotine. Cart-mod-try-out-day does it every time!

Xenogy

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2009
Washington
I'm using it now....fantastic....510 on my Silver Bullet at 6 volts.....

Thats awesome. I was just thinking I should try it at 6v with my HV juice.

Mine just dried up finally and I have been vaping it pretty strong. It didn't taste different and no burnt taste. Just not as much vapor. I decided to pull the cart out and inspect. The polyfill was still decently wet but no juice left in the cart. So you know it's empty when it starts working like a regular cart does after 5 puffs lol. I got about 2 - 2 1/2 hours out of it chain vaping. Thats alot longer than I would if I were dripping.

Last edited:

the86d

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 13, 2009
So. California, USA
I have only been exclusivly vaping for 14 weeks this next Tuesday, but what is wrong with cutting the spring to about 2/5ths of it's length and just dropping it in the center, and then adding a square of fish-poly, and tuck the corners? It's like a poly spring loaded polly pusher to the bridge.

After reading the posts, I tried this, but I am unsure why this was not mentioned, nor referencing any other older versions.

I didn't mosey on to any posts about cart modding until now, sorry if I am mod-ignorant... hehee

(I tried to upload, but am having trouble with uploading png and jpg files now.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread